CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Dan Donche

Profile:
Extra Strength on the side

After doing the CrossFit Total today I realized I need to spend more time under the squat bar. I am all about embracing your weaknesses, I'm just wondering how much is sufficient? I don't want to do the CF Strength Bias stuff, but I still want to get more acquainted with my back/front/oh squats a little more than comes up in the WOD. I'm thinking of just doing a little extra here and there, maybe a little every day or every other day, like a couple sets of heavy. Do you think this would be enough to become friends with the squat? Or should I do a little more? I know that stuff like greasing the groove works on bodyweight exercises, does it work the same with weight training?!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Extra Strength on the side

Dan, your best bet is to add in some squatting before hitting the WOD. A warmup set and 3 work sets and maybe a light recovery set ( similar to warmup set ). Modify it pending what is in the WOD.

Consider it skill work and skill work should be done before the WOD whether you're working the technical movements of the WOD or practising HS or MU or Oly lifting.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
David Weber

Profile:

Dan, check out CrossFit radio episode 12 http://journal.CrossFit.com/2008/12/...-12-081207.tpl W/F/S.

In the interview, Damon Stewart says that one thing every CrossFitter should do is squat heavy and deadlift once a week before the WOD. I believe he actually says do back squats on monday and deads on thursday, and if they happen to come up in the WOD the next day then that's your luck. The interview is really good and will probably give you some great ideas.

Also as far as overhead squats go. I sucked at OHS when I started CrossFitting, but I added 10 OHS with a 45# bar to my CF warm up and every week I just increased the weight by 5#. After about 6 weeks, a workout with max OHS came up and I was able to squat 155 (my body weight at the time). Just start slow with light weight and work it as a skill like Blair said. You'll be stronger in no time.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Dan Donche

Profile:

Oh, awesome! Thanks for the help guys and I'm going to check out that radio episode...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
David Weber

Profile:

I just listened to that radio episode again and Damon's tip about building strength is right at minute 42 of the podcast. Hope it helps
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
Bryan Back

Profile:

I stole this from a previous post and it has worked for me. I just modify the wod to fit the time and it works well. Looks suspiciously like CFSB without the volume lifts. I liked the order of the lifts on this one and CFSB would be too much volume for me.

You can see the whole thread here. wfs

http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showth...110#post388110

Monday

Back Squat 5-5-5
Short high power output CrossFit workout

Tuesday

Press 5-5-5 alternating each week with Bench Press 5-5-5
CrossFit workout

Wednesday

Back Squat 5-5-5
Deadlift 5

Thursday

Heavy CrossFit workout (Something like “Elizabeth” or “Diane”)

Friday

or

Saturday

Long CrossFit workout

Sunday

Rest
Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Interesting, I DL and BS heavy 1x a week each on Tu and Th. Wed is hell for me and I sometimes think I can workout ( Tues is typically day 2 ) but I'm just wiped as Wednesday goes on further. I only did 3 sets last night instead of 5 work sets (typically 4-6, sometimes 8 in a set, if ) but the next day is typically a long day. It almost feels like I'm coming down with a cold somewhat sometimes because I'm shot so.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

i've been on my own hybrid of sorts for about a month. Typically goes something like 3 sets of 5 squat monday. with a rest and then followed by a short wod, 10-15 minutes.

Tuesday whatever wod my box is doing unless it doesnt jive with my programming for the week, if it does a full length wod here.

Wed squat again. then a short metcon

thursday rest

friday full length metcon

sat
Squat
Press
Deadlift

Sometime during the week i either power clean or make sure cleans are in one of the short metcons.

IE squat, rest then elizabeth later. ir really anything else.

i started it a month ago. At the time my 5RM Squat was 275. Last night it was 320. MY metcons have improved as far as i can tell. Didn't hit too many benchmarks in the past month but i hit a pr by 4 2/3 rounds on cindy got 22 2/3. At the very least it isnt hurting my metcon times. I'm digging it but will switch back to normal XFIT routines pretty soon.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
patrick j fleming jr

Profile:

I follow the main WOD's and add some kind of ME work prior generaly squat once every cycle(3 days) and deadlift(6 days). I also add power or regular cleans if they don't come up(6 days). Every (3 days) I add bench after Feb. to get my beach muscles sexy, just kidding I compete in a powerlifting meet in june. I bust my squats up with OHS and FS also. You can take all these other fellas advice it sounds solid. Chances are you will have to find what works best for you, good luck. Also I hope you are lowbar squatting. Buy yourself some sweet shoes when/if you are squating more than your BWT.