CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Todd Ebert

Profile:
Has anyone had experience incorporating planned rest periods into their training schedule?

I am an extremely consistent exerciser, to the point where I wonder whether a week or two off every few months might be a good thing. I read about something like this somewhere and I think they called it strategic deconditioning and recommended that the optimum amount of time off would be 9 to 11 days. The idea behind it is to allow the body to let down it's guard after it has overadapted to the exercise to which it has become accustomed.

I know that one of the guiding principles of crossfit is that the workouts are always changing in an attempt to never let the body fully adapt. I'm curious to hear if anyone has felt the need to try extended breaks and, if so, how it went. Also, if you have tried this, do you completely stop exercising or do you maintain some low to moderate level of active rest?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Instead of a rest period of 11 days, could you think abuot an overload week followed by 4 days of rest?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
IMO there's no point to let the body become less adapted to an exercise. It will let you lift heavier weights or do more with an exercise (become better conditioned).

Deconditioning principles are definitely important for any periodized program where weights lifted need to increase steadily, and metcon like CF also can be periodized to an extent. Many of the members here do a periodize CF where they go like 4-6 weeks on, then take a 1/2 intensity week and then back on again.

Again, I don't see a reason to stop exercise to decondition your body.. that's just going to be detrimental to your overall fitness.