CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Jacob Vohs

Profile:
Want to start but can't

I work out at my house in my basement which has about a 7.5 foot high ceiling. This means I can't do such as exercises where I am pushing the barbell above my head while standing. I am currently doing Bill Starr's 5x5 Intermediate Routine and for the Standing Should Press I've been doing seated shoulder press. I've recently come across Crossfit training and I really want to try it and get into it. However, I don't have much of the equipment needed and I don't have the money to go buy it. I have Rippetoe's Starting strength book on the way so I'm going to start that routine after I read the book and really focus on my form. I'll being going to college in the fall so I think I'll start doing Crossfit training then. Can crossfit training be done in a college recreational gym? I doubt there will be a rowing machine or hanging rings. I really want to do this style of training but I don't think it's really possible for me at this time? What are your guys suggestions?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Oliver Gould

Profile:
Re: Want to start but can't

The University of Cali @ Santa Cruz has a pretty standard college gym and served pretty well for most crossfit workout. UCSC rugby and water polo both do crossfit workouts there, as a couple of freelancers do as well. So long as your gym has the basic equipment that most gyms have you should be fine. College gyms are actually better for crossfit than most globo gyms, since college gyms have a lot of real athletes working out in them, which means they'll have things like extra barbells, C2 rowers, pullup bars etc. Working out in a traditional gym can be a headache, since people will take your equipment when you switch movements (most gym goers don't understand the concept of alternating movements or high rep schemes, they'll assume you're done once you break a set). Traditional gyms might also hassle you about dropping weights, making noise, doing explosive lifts, kipping, sweating and tying up multiple pieces of equipment. It's not such a big deal overall, not ideal, but tons of people do crossfit at traditional gyms and are very successful.

You WILL gets some strange looks...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Bill Sullivan

Profile:

When you get to college, see if you can find the "real" weight room. This isn't the new facility that was built in the last five years with all the latest shiny equipment. Somewhere, maybe hidden under the stadium, might be a small, grungy room where all the old, "scary" equipment lives. At my college (a long time ago) this is where the bumper plates, squat racks, pull-up bars, and other CrossFit type equipment lived. Seek and ye shall find.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"Can't?" Ummm...do your presses outside, I think you shoud have plenty of overhead clearance then. Have you seen the Nike commercial? There are 100s of ways to sub and adjust the WODs. Just do it.

PS. You can look in the classified and craigslist and find very cheap oly bar and weights. Be patient. You can DIY plenty of stuff, like rings. Go walk lunge 400m and then tell us tomorrow how much equipment you need for a great leg workout! Have fun!!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
James Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
"Can't?" Ummm...do your presses outside, I think you shoud have plenty of overhead clearance then. Have you seen the Nike commercial? There are 100s of ways to sub and adjust the WODs. Just do it.

PS. You can look in the classified and craigslist and find very cheap oly bar and weights. Be patient. You can DIY plenty of stuff, like rings. Go walk lunge 400m and then tell us tomorrow how much equipment you need for a great leg workout! Have fun!!
well said!

I challenged a few of my friends to do the lunge walk with me the last couple times it's come up, no takers yet
Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sullivan View Post
Somewhere, maybe hidden under the stadium, might be a small, grungy room where all the old, "scary" equipment lives.
At my school this was called "The Dungeon" and was indeed in the basement of the Health and Human Performance building. All the equipment was surrounded by an 8 foot tall chain link fence that was locked at night. Ah, how I miss it.

For equipment check out thegaragegymstore.com (also linked on the bottom right side of the main CF page, WFS). There are some amazing deals on there.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Armin Heravi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lester View Post
For equipment check out thegaragegymstore.com (also linked on the bottom right side of the main CF page, WFS). There are some amazing deals on there.
Dude, is that place for real? I can get a 53# kettlebell for $45 with no shipping cost?!?!? Wow...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Bill Pontius

Profile:

Jacob,
There's an affiliate in Syracuse. Check it out. Even if you can only afford to go occasionally, the form work and encouragement you receive will be very well worth it.
Good luck!
Bill
Old 01-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Tim Newsome

Profile:

Also, check out Eva T's blog (w/f s): http://skievat.blogspot.com/
She posts a crossfit-like workout every day that requires no equipment.

Tim
Old 01-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

I might be going to SUNY Binghamton for college and there are no Crossfit gyms in the area so I know that I'd be working out in the college gym. What do I do about movements like muscle-ups where I need rings? I'm very anxious to get into the crossfit routine although I'm not sure how? I can't go outside to do pressing movements because 1) It's winter right now 2) I don't have one of those portable squat stands (I have a big gym unit that has a squat stand built in)and 3)my neighbors are very annoying; as soon as someone steps out of my house a neighbor will surely show up and start talking to you . I'd workout in my backyard instead to avoid conversation but I don't have a level backyard. So my choices as of now include: 1.) Start Rippetoe's Starting Strength Routine 2.)Do Eva T.'s Workouts which don't require Equipment 3.)Try to alter the original WOD each day to fit me or 4.)Try going to the crossfit gym that's a little less than 30 minutes away (120 dollars a month; kind of a lot for me plus gas for going there and back) What do you guys think I should do?