CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Melvin Newman

Profile:
The snowman looks to be hurt before the match (leg)
Old 11-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Motion Macivor

Profile:
He looked like he did'nt have a lot of gas to me I was really suprised how boring the fight was.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Craig Adams

Profile:
I really wanted Monson to win bad and was very disappointed. He could have punished Silvia's midsection while standing, and there are more ways than shooting to take a giant down. I was happy when Monson was in his guard getting some shots in, that's more than Arlovski did. But the repeated single leg takedown attempts, with Silvia sprawling like a middleweight, just disappointing. I hope Vera's knees can reach that high, because Silvia needs to go down.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I totaly agree. I think he could have pounded the life right out of that goofy giant if he had just gone for the body instead of try to go for the head. I think his corner and his trainers really let him down. Watching monson try to hit silvia's face was like watching a child swing helplessly as an adult holds his head at arms length. But I guess it's pretty easy to sit back and criticize. Silvia must be pretty tough to be where he is.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:43 AM   #5
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Vera will make a show out of Silvia. Silvia did not fight like a champ, he faught that entire fight not to lose, You would never see Chuck, GSP, BJ or any other "Champ" fight like that. Vera will tear that division apart and possibly drop down to give Chuck a rreal test and make things interesting.
Great point with Munson and going after Silvia's unconditioned midsection. While watching, my wife, with no MMA experience made this very observation in the first round. I think if Munson had a better game plan things would have been much different.

(Message edited by beaub on November 21, 2006)
Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
BJ Penn fought Matt Serra @155 "not to lose". BJ backed up the entire time. Matt said to him several times, "Come On"!

Vera will drop to light heavy weight. That is his stated plan. To obtain the belt @ Heavy and Light-Heavy.

As far as Tim's midsection, looks can be decieving. I would bet that it is well conditioned.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Craig Adams

Profile:
Conditioned or not, I'd have to believe that a good shot to the floating rib from a monster like Monson would have done considerable damage. Good point about his corner and his trainers.

Yup, you are right he does fight not to lose, and it is boring as hell. He never used to fight like that before he got the belt. That fight with cabbage was amazing, he was swinging the whole fight. Now, I can't wait to see him and his giant ego go down and go down hard.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Melvin Newman

Profile:
Jeff needs to become more of an all around fighter to compete with Tim. Jeff needed to throw some low kicks to start breaking Tim down he needed to be more effective with his body punching(liver). Brandon drops his hands alot after he throws which will a big mistake against Tim with his punches/kicks.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
vera wins. Not scared to let his hands go and is sure of his abilities. Not to mention he trains with about the sickest kickboxer ever to live.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
Mark Dowst

Profile:
First, I don't like the UFC's heavyweight division in general, compared to Pride the UFC has amatuerish heavyweights compared to Crocop, Fedor, Barnett, Alexansander, Nogiera, Werdum, and Kharitonov. If you disagree think about Semmy Schilt, just as phsyically gifted as Tim Sylvia, but with five times the skill.

Second, I've hated Tim Sylvia for a long time. He's a imposing striker because of his physical attributes not his high level of skill. But after his fight with Monson, I found myself warming up to him. His skills have obviously progressed alot on the ground, he survived Monson's top game, and made the only notable submission attempts during the fight.

Third, Brandon Vera is hyped alot, I don't see him good enough to win easily on the feet and I have a feeling that if he starts getting the better of Tim Sylvia we might see some GnP on Tim Sylvia's part. I think thats a big maybe, because Tim Sylvia is just too imposing to be beaten on the feet by anyone in the UFC heavyweight division currently.