CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
James Forbes

Profile:
I am thinking about starting a morning workout at a local park, but not sure how to create workouts. What is a good way to create some fun, exciting workouts? I don't want to continue to do the same workouts over and over. I can definitely use some of the named workouts on the main site. Any other ideas?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Routine is the enemy and the enemy of routine is creativity. Use your imagination. Scour the archives on the main page for ideas. Write a list down of all the exercises you can do in a park...then mix em in as many different formats as possible. There is a issue in the CrossFit Journal that covers programming and how HQ concocts the WOD eachday.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
http://skievat.blogspot.com/

Eva T posts Non Equipment Necessary workouts on her blog (in orange).

You have an archive of workouts that you can do in the park - that should get the ideas flowing!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Maybe look at the logs of folks who've run CrossFit-in-the-park programs? There are a few here ... e.g. Anthony Bainbridge and Jodi Arbeau just finished a park program here, but there are about 6 months worth of records of what they did interspersed in Anthony's regular training log.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Bill Russell

Profile:
James,

We have been doing outdoor workouts on Saturdays since the end of April. We have not repeated the same workout yet, it's easy to mix it up.

As part of the warmup, we make sure to teach proper form for all movements in that day's workout, as well as how to scale down to each persons fitness level.

Team and partner workouts have worked well to get people to bond together. Doug Chapman stresses that you should focus on getting people to bond with the group, not with the trainer(s). I could not agree more.

I especially like pairing up people and doing FGB style workouts. Pick any 5 exercises that you can do with the equipment you have. One person counts reps and encourages their partner. After three rounds, they switch roles and we go again.

One day we'll do 21-15-9's, or as many rounds in 20 minutes, or 6-9-12-15-18-21's, or 50 or 100 reps of 3 or 4 things. You get the idea.

Check out our website to see what we've done, or feel free to send me a PM.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi James,

I'm going to suggest using your environment. Here's an unconventional one we did today. It consisted of using a very steep hill (I'd estimate 40 degree incline) that had two fences running across it. It also had a stairway going down the side that had a railing and landings about every 12 steps. Here was the workout:

Shoulder sandbag (35#, 60# or 90# bag of rocks)
Sprint up hill towards first fence
Launch bag over first fence
Climb first fence
Shoulder sandbag again and repeat sequence for 2nd fence.
Dump bag at top of hill and proceed to stairway.
At every landing vault over railing, do 5 burpees, vault back and continue descent.
At the bottom of hill, row 500 meters
Bear crawl up the hill (no fences this time)
Shoulder your bag and descend hill to start.

Our times ranged from about 6 minutes/round to just over 10 minutes/round. Here are some pics:

The funny thing is is that I've been using that hill on and off for about a year now and only a few days ago realized I could incorporate the Parkour elements.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ph4.jpg.bmp
Views:	191
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	420  
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
James Forbes

Profile:
thanks to you all for your info and help. You all gave some great insight. Sorry it took a few days for me to check this--I have been exceptionally busy.

Ryan, nice pics. I need to find a good hill around here.