CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
Ok, I bought my first stall mat today. It's the standard 4x6 and weighs about 100lbs. It's different from the ones my local store sells.

The local store has the mats with grooves on one side and slightly raised diamonds on the other. They are $50.

I found some in Iowa City that were only $40 but these don't look as solid. I picked one up and twisted it around to see if it would fall apart and it seemed just as heavy and durable as the diamond ones. This one has little white flecks in it and is flat on one side and rough on the bottom.

Anyone have comments on the pros and cons of these?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Bret:

You may be the first CrossFitter to have this problem: more than one kind of stall mat to buy.

Most of us are city folk; it's a near-miracle if we can find even one kind.

There are definitely some folks here from more rural environments (I think); hopefully some of them might have some experience. Can you post manufacturers, specs, etc.?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Bret - I have the $40 version with the flecks and rough underside. They work great. I have some 1/4 inch foam mats under the stall mats because that was my first floor cover. I have dropped an 88 lb KB from overhead without damage to the mats or to the bell. The feed store I went to only had this style so I didn't have to choose.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
I just finished setting up a temporary lifting platform. I had a bunch of scrap plywood left over from building my floor so I just layed out a 6x8 using multiple pieces and cut my new stall mat in half.

I think it works just fine too. I need to get a full sheet of plywood to replace the top pieces and then I'll screw everything together.

The only thing about this mat and maybe because it's new, is it feels slippery. I think I'll go back to the local store and lovingly feel the stall mats there again to compare friction qualities.

If I got the local ones, I could always tell Eugene "Yes, but my floor has diamonds on it..."
Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
On your list of "Things to do Today" you need not include ways to make me feel as though my crew is working out in a sub-standard trailer space. Diamonds in the floor, great.

That slipery feel must be some sort of protective sealant...it was on mine too. It wears off in fairly short order. A soapy mopping will accelerate getting rid of it.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
Not trying to pick up on the "substandard" thing here but is your cargo net a Pacific Fiber? I'm looking at cargo nets right now and just saw the blurb on the main page warning about them. How do you like your net?

This is the one I was checking out:

http://www.jammarmfg.com/cargo.html
Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I looked at those Bret but the rope looked a bit rough. I wanted softer cotton rope and went with a company whose name I can't seem to remember. The Jammer Mfg. rope looks a bit like marine rope and I didn't think that would feel too good on the hands. Mine is 10 x 10 and it is suspended from the ceiling by 3 cables attached to plumbing pipe that I weaved through the netting. The cable is suspended from the ceiling via eyebolts into 2 x 6's screwed into the joists.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
I'm trying to remember and I think it's CF's HQ where they have a net suspended by only the top two corners. Having it strung along a pipe all along the top seems to be a better way to go.

My primary concern is being able to hoist the thing up out of the way when not in use so it wouldn't intefere with burn ball (a tennis ball game). How do you store yours when not in use?

I can't stretch a net along the ceiling because of the heaters. I guess if you put a pvc pipe at the bottom you could attach a line to that and pull it up using a pulley but then if I'm using a 10 to 12' net, it would still hang down 5-6 feet in the middle.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Just an idea Bret, but could you set it up as described, but weave the lines for the pulley through the sides of the net (ala venetian blinds)?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
Clay Jones

Profile:

Brett, I have the ones with one rough side and the flecks on the other--they are extremely durable, and will last forever.