CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Charles Gioimo

Profile:
Working out on a Carrier?

I was just wondering if there were any other people who have tried crossfit on a aircraft Carrier. There is very little room and low ceilings in most places we can workout. Are there any suggestions of exercises i can sub into the routine instead of any that involve jumping(burpee) or even most of the time a pullup.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Bryan Back

Profile:
Re: Working out on a Carrier?

Well my time on a carrier was before xf. But, working out is easy with a bit of creativity. I would make a game of general quarters. I pretended I was doing low hurdles with knee knockers. At 6'1 it was challenging. Step, step jump. Step, step jump.
Seriously though,
1. Pull ups can usually be done from door frames or pipes (I know don't let the DC guys see you.) Some ships have basketball hoops on the hanger bay. supports for the basket make good pull up bars.
2. Dips are easy on the hanger bay. They park the support gear together. Put a hand on each and you get L or bent leg dips.
3. They gotta have a weight room on board. If you can get in when it is not closed due to the rocking and rolling. Dumbells work well for substitutions. Or improvise some weights alla prisoners. 1,3 and 5 gallon buckets all over the ship.
4. Of course, squats, sit ups and pushups require nothing.
5. From time to time flight deck running works well. My old knees are saying ouch to that but they worked fine when I was 20... (: Hanger bay should be open for running even more than the Flight Deck.
6. Hanger bay wall works well for handstands (towels or packing material work well as a pad. Aviation guys have literally tons of it.)
7. I could go on but I will end with the best advise,
Go talk to a marine on the security detail and pick their brain. They probably have a place to do all of this. Some outside of their squad bay. Just don't talk to them during Condition: whatever they are calling it these days. Ha!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

actually yes there was a few guys posting a while back that were on the Lincoln ... i think they were eod guys. if you search eod you may get a hit on a post and that should take to something to help you.

I am sure you have sledgehammers and blown out tractor tire or plane tire to bash the **** out of. Metal box to jump on.. look around .. you will find something.. even a metal pipe will work for technique training.

Talk to the marines, they may have something .. old ammo can?

good luck.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
William Jackson

Profile:

just get creative. we found ways to workout on a submarine so im sure you have enough supplies on a carrrier to get a good workout. just gotta get creative
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Jackson View Post
just get creative. we found ways to workout on a submarine so im sure you have enough supplies on a carrrier to get a good workout. just gotta get creative
if submariners can figure it out... then you flattop guys will have it super easy.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Charles Gioimo

Profile:

Thanks for all the sugestions guys. My only problem is I am stuck in the front of the ship with a tiny gym. Also since I am not deck department I don't have access to much of anything but what I have. Anyway, I shipp out in about a week and a half. I am planning on putting in a Seal package after cruise. I am going to be putting up a workout log all cruise long if anyone is interested.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Gioimo View Post
Thanks for all the sugestions guys. My only problem is I am stuck in the front of the ship with a tiny gym. Also since I am not deck department I don't have access to much of anything but what I have. Anyway, I shipp out in about a week and a half. I am planning on putting in a Seal package after cruise. I am going to be putting up a workout log all cruise long if anyone is interested.
Be nice to the Boatswain's Mates and you could borrow shackles to sub for kbs. There's scads of pullup pipes. On many ladderwells there is a handhold in the overhead for when you are coming downladder. Perfect for pullups. Ladderwell handrails are great for dips too. One of the most useful things onboard ship gyms that is really underused is the versa climber which is a pretty good sub for swimming and just sucking in general. Pushups anywhere. It's a carrier, surely they have a weight room? We did on my tin can and on all the Gators I was stuck on. Use that. Ask around for people trying to go to BUD/S and other potential partners, do running tours of your port calls. Good Luck.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...hp?t=21576(WFS)

I know you said space is still limited, but this list is all BW stuff that you really dont need equip for. GL on your journey and keep on keepin on.

I'm just sayin...