CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Andrew Roden

Profile:
GHD for Master's Athletes?

Hope this belongs here. My question basically is, is a GHD going to provide me with enough benefits at 42 years old to justify the cost? I've gained muscle and stamina in the past year doing crossfit and starting strength. Pretty close to buying a GHD for the home gym. Are there any people out there in my circumstance?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: GHD for Master's Athletes?

In my humble opinion GHDs are never worth the cost if there won't be multiple people using them.

They are expensive as **** and good mornings, anchored sit-ups on a Swiss ball plus a number of gymnastics moves will make up for anything you could do with a GHD and then some.

There are just so many other just as good (probably better, too) things you could buy with that kind of cash.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I just bought a ghd and I'm 41. I bought the "cheap" one from Yukon and it works great. I don't really understand though what your age has to do with it, esp. since you just said that you have gained muscle and stamina in the last year. Honestly, I think your stance on age is self-limiting and self-defeating. IMO. Meanwhile, Ripp just said over on his forum that strength training peaks usually at 35yo, and that you can make strength gains for 15-20 years after that.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I just bought a ghd and I'm 41. I bought the "cheap" one from Yukon and it works great. I don't really understand though what your age has to do with it, esp. since you just said that you have gained muscle and stamina in the last year. Honestly, I think your stance on age is self-limiting and self-defeating. IMO. Meanwhile, Ripp just said over on his forum that strength training peaks usually at 35yo, and that you can make strength gains for 15-20 years after that.
That's what I was just gonna say
Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Ok fair enough. I will attempt to modify my attitude.
I like what I've read regarding the Glute Ham raise in relation to strength and injury prevention.
Just trying to make sure the benefits apply to multiple age groups.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Steven Novick

Profile:

At 45 yo I got a York GHD for my garage gym, I'm very happy with it and it's a key part of the CF workouts and warmups. My wife and I both use it, and I don't regret the purchase. I've done lots of things through CF I never imagined I would do. Don't sell yourself short due to your age, you've got lots of years of CF ahead of you!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Wade Smith

Profile:

I've seen photos/testimonials of people and gyms using makeshift GHDs out of bigass tractor tires elevated on sturdy platforms.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Bryan Back

Profile:

I tried for months do do the swiss ball route. I spent more time messing around with the ball. I added GM's to the warm up but I never seemed to get much out of them. I broke down and ordered a yukon ghd from Christian's fitness factory.
It has not been shipped yet but a lot of people on this board loved their service and the yukon. Cost $214 shipped. Not bad for the wife and I to do our situps and extensions on.
One thing to remember is your priorities. I have the oly weights, pull up bar, rings and such already. It was just time for me to buy one. I would buy one at the end of your equipment purchases.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Jeff Dale

Profile:

I got mine for $50. on craigslist. Definitely worth that price.
It's understood why you wouldn't want to pay $500. for one, just look for a bargain. Mine's used for warm-ups everyday now and it comes in very handy when called for in a WOD.

And yes, never say your too old to benefit. The sit-ups on it take some warming up to. I had to start with sets of 10 and work up to sets of 20-25.
I still limit the amount of sit-ups I do on it compared to floor sit-ups. They can mess you up if you go to hard at first.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Jonathan Jessop

Profile:

GHD? What does that stand for?