CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-23-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
I was doing a little cleaning last night and started going through the notebook where I used to file every WOD I performed. (I did this from early '04 when I started CF until early '06, when I realized that eventually this would take up a lot of space.)

Anyway, as I was flipping through the book, I realized how much CF has changed in certain ways. There are some benchmarks we just don't see any more--how long has it been since we saw "Chelsea" or "Gwen"?

Other benchmarks have arisen from what were once "one-off" WODs. For example, I found a couple instances of "Cindy" before she had a name, and before she met "Mary." And I found an early version of "Lynne" that was for seven rounds instead of five.

There also used to be a lot of WODs with more complicated math for scoring (e.g., 040324: "Multiply least number of squats in any interval by the least number of sit-ups and the least number of back extensions in any round and post as score."

Anyway, I found a few one-off WODs I remembered vividly, even years later, for their devastating impact at the time. I saved those and if I can find my previous log results, I'm going to try them again to see how I've progressed overall.

One of the first would be this one, which probably brought me closer to just falling down on a run than I've ever come before or since:

---------------
Monday 031020

For time:
Run 400 meters
One arm dumbbell snatch, alternate arms, 10RM load, 40 reps.
Run 800 meters
One arm dumbbell snatch, alternate arms, 10RM load, 40 reps
Run 400 meters.

Snatch from ground and catch as low as possible.

Post load and time to comments.

-------------------
Old 12-23-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I remember a WOD which involved loading a O-bar up with a percentage of your body weight and walking a mile with it racked in a squat position...ouch. CF used to never have benchmarks, repeating workouts, but no bench marks. It is kind of interesting to look back and remember not only the workouts, but the personalities, arguments, and clashes which occurred on the boards...some of which led to extremely enlightening discourse. I've met many of the people I knew from the boards, in person. Every one of them treated me like an old friend. I will always remember an incident with Eugene, where we looked at each other and just started laughing...we were probably closer to death at that time then we had ever been during our police careers...we knew what we were thinking.... something like "kill me!". Way more then you should ever expect from an exercise web site. Looking forward to the next 50 or so years!
Old 12-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Anybody remember this one?:

Sunday 030720
Weighted walking lunge/push-press for 400 meters.

Four lunge steps, alternating legs, followed by 5 reps of push-press repeated through 400 meters. Rack and press from back, front, or alternate at will. Rest when and where needed but clock keeps running.

Divide load carried (pounds) by time to completion (seconds) and post to comments.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to WODs
Old 12-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Ryan, it is funny that you posted that workout because while reading the first workout I was thinking of it. I started that workout with my 1.5 pood KB. However, when it started raining I ran back to the car and got my 20 lb Dynamax med ball and press/tossed the ball with my lunges. Tossing the ball in the rain was tough, fun, and highly recommended.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Eva Claire Synkowski

Profile:
ryan - i think the wod you mentioned came up at the oct boston xfit cert. one person asked coach about programming. he was saying some of its trial and error, and youll know when you have a "lemon". he gave that wod as the lemon example. apparently amundson (and i think someone else) gutted it out with ~135# - even though coach tried to call it off soon after they got started!
Old 12-25-2006, 03:55 AM   #7
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I remember one where it was something like this:

Run 100m
50 push ups
Run 100m
50 sit ups
Run 100m
50 squats
Run 100m
50 back extensions

and all that was for 5 rounds for time! :giveup:
Old 12-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
I'm a relative newb (Nov 2005), but I've invented a few "lemons" by accident and it is a painful experience. They might not have killed everyone, and some people might even do well, but I remember starting out intending to do say 5 rds, and realizing in round 2 that "no way" and deciding three would be sufficient. Especially, when I looked at the watch at the end of rd 2 and saw 17+ minutes. Unh-uh.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:57 AM   #9
John Frazer

Profile:
When you say "lemon," what do you mean?

Are you referring to a workout that's far harder than intended, even for well-conditioned athletes?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Yes, biting off more than can be easily chewed. More specifically, concocting a workout that is extremely intense, but unfortunately making it about 50 mins long under the best of circumstances. It's just about impossible to keep up the kind of intense output CF requires for that long. At some point, you're just slogging. I've accidentally done that to myself a couple of times and thought, "man, I am an idiot."