CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
i'm 44, 5'11", 202lbs and my wife is 40, 5'7", 149lbs. i weighed 199 and she weighed 150 when we started crossfit 5 1/2 weeks ago. we missed only one workout in 5 weeks then during this 6th week felt totally exhausted. we skipped friday's wod and after getting advice on a fitness thread, we plan to work at 50% for the next three wod's. i believe we needed rest and diet was not the issue, but diet considerations were also recommended and i would appreciate advice and comments.

our diet is far from perfect but certainly not awful. we just don't have time to worry about it daily with jobs, 7 kids, school, sports, shuttling 3 or 4 different directions every afternoon and on weekends, coaching, etc etc. we eat plenty of meat, poultry, fish, vegatables, salads, and relatively few processed carbs and sugars except for my wicked chocolate sweet tooth that must be reasonably fed. we take a multi vitamin, occasionally others until we run out for a while, and fish oil something or other but don't overdo it daily or weekly with anything. personally, i pay a little extra attention to my protein intake and often eat well over 100gms in a day. we really don't feel we could eat substantially more and after 5 or 6 weeks of crossfit i've actually gained three pounds rather than lost, and she's lost only a pound. i see in the mirror, particularly regarding my chest, arms, and traps, something good is definitely going on so i haven't worried much about the weight gain although i believe my lean and fit weight should ultimately be around 180lbs. i see her physique beginning to more resemble her sprinter's body from years ago, although she's stayed in better shape than most via yoga, water aerobics, and spinning classes she teaches at our ymca, plus she has run a good bit off and on for the past few years.

we both believe in basic nutrition and want to feel we're doing what we should within reason for an extremely active family. we're familiar with various diets and i think what we TRY do is something similar to a zone diet blended with a consciousness of the atkins pyramid (not the actual hard core atkins diet, which we did for a few months a couple of years ago and i dropped from 210 to 180 in 3 or 4 months, but i certainly couldn't have maintained crossfit workouts). realistically, our lifestyle makes it next to impossible to maintain anything specific on a daily basis, but we do try, sometimes more than other times. all said, does it sound like we're eating reasonably? are there some simple, realistic, rules of thumb for active crossfitter couples with jobs and kids and incredibly hectic schedules we do not appear to be using that any of you would recommend?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Allen Lee

Profile:  
I am no nutritionist but, IMO it seems like you are worrying too much about weight. Bodyweight much less to do with overall health and fitness than people think. Your lack of weight loss probably has to do with increased muscle mass.
The exhaustion issue is much more difficult, but it seems reasonable for people with such hectic schedules. I would try increasing your carb intake especially after a workout, but I dont know how this would interfere with your weight loss goals.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Don't worry about the gain, bro, it's muscle. It souds like you're eating very well without too much worry on it - don't stress out! Here's what I do when in doubt for a meal:

- Grab a bunch of meat/eggs
- Toss in some fruit/veggies
- Top it off with some good fat

And you're good to go. If you cook a lot of meat at once it's super easy and you'll get in great shape and feel awesome in no time. Now, when I do this, I tend to eat a WHOLE LOT because I'm trying to gain muscle but so long as you're reasonably full after the meal you should be good.

You could also try the Vince Gironda: 3/4 lb of meat and 3 eggs, twice a day. I bet that would clog the ol' pooper.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Greg,

There is a thread on the metabolic diet going on right now...I would Highly suggest reading it. Basically you want to try and get your body's metabolism burning more fat and less carbs. Then if you feel your energy levels falling you up your fat intake...I know nothing specific, but i am sick today and my head is pounding...I would suggest reading the whole thread on the metabolic diet...if nothing else it gives some great information.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:27 AM   #5
Larry Cook

Profile:
The paragraph below is taken from the Crossfit Foundations article
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/Foundations.pdf

What should I eat?
In plain language, base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch,
and no sugar. That’s about as simple as we can get. Many have observed that keeping your grocery cart to the
perimeter of the grocery store while avoiding the aisles is a great way to protect your health. Food is perishable. The
stuff with long shelf life is all circumspect. If you follow these simple guidelines you will benefit from nearly all that can
be achieved through nutrition.

I think if you stock your fridge and pantry with good food choices, that's half the battle. A little tougher with 7 kids, I'm sure. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
"greens, lean meats, nuts and seets, little starch, no sugar...perimeter of the grocery store". pretty much what kevin said, too. that's a plain and simple answer that's fairly easy to abide by with 7 kids and a constantly hectic schedule. pretty much what i thought but like to hear if from those who probably pay more attention to it than me.

thanks, all.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Success is one word...."Planning"

Have a shopping day...have a shoppinog list...know how and what you are going to eat all week...hsve snacks ready to go and bring them with you....and get rid of foods you do not need to be eating...it's so simple yet most people will not do it.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think you need to start to design workouts that incorporate your seven kids. Presumably like the famous Milo, you will get stronger as you lift your growing kids. You could start with a front squat with the baby, put the middle one on your back for a back squat, clean the tall one. Just be careful choosing the kid for the snatch -- that could get you in trouble if you let go.

They'll have a blast and, by the time they're all in high school, you'll be an animal!

:happy:
Old 10-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
we often do the wod's together, scaling them way down for the young kids. even our 2 year old loves to be in the garage with us as he yells "my turn!!!". my teenage boys and my wife already kick my butt on most of the high rep and running wod's. my only glory comes during the heavy lifting, and they're very quick to point out that as a % of bodyweight i'm not really that much stronger. poor dad.

:giveup: