CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Fernando Parra

Profile:
Globo Gym training to complement Crossfit

Hey guys,

Recently I applied for a free membership at a Globo Gym, since it is one of the perks that my company provides, but I decided that I'm still sticking to crossfit since I find it more fun and empowering.
I was wondering if doing barbell/rack/bench exercises once a week would help me improve my wod performance, or maybe swimming, stretching, or any of the activities that are usually offered in these.
There must be some value I can take away from this freebie.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Brian Nguyen

Profile:
Re: Globo Gym training to complement Crossfit

Most WODs incorporate a medium-weight demand (such as a 95-135 lb thruster) If you go to a normal gym and do a strength program supplement like 5/3/1 or SS and get your squat up to ~315 your fran time could be cut down because your body is able to do more work
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
Most WODs incorporate a medium-weight demand (such as a 95-135 lb thruster) If you go to a normal gym and do a strength program supplement like 5/3/1 or SS and get your squat up to ~315 your fran time could be cut down because your body is able to do more work
This exactly. Not knowing your strength numbers, getting your squat dead lift and press up by doing a strength program will help across the board.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yep, assuming they have barbells, benches, and squat racks I'd do something like a 2x or 3x per week 5/3/1 lifting schedule and add some CF-style conditioning in a few times a week, either there or at your CF gym.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

there is a ton of good things that can be done at the globo gym... lifting, swimming, pick up games of ball, instructors, group classes, sauna, etc. what will be best for you depends on what your gym offers, what training you do outside of the gym, and what your goals are.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

More copulating equals higher testosterone levels equals better WOD and CF performance. Within reason.

Ok, back to getting serious.

And curls and dumbbell rows besides assistance stuff. A lot of CF gyms aren't really set up for assistance stuff with Dumbbells.

If your CF box doesn't do enough barbell programming like squats and presses and deads for strength or power, that would be a good place maybe.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
William Garrett

Profile:

When I globo it due to deployments or travel I stick to the basics. Squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, dips, weighted dips, weighted pullups and stick to a simple 5x5.

However, goals vary from person to person. Pick your poison....
Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Parra View Post
Hey guys,

Recently I applied for a free membership at a Globo Gym, since it is one of the perks that my company provides, but I decided that I'm still sticking to crossfit since I find it more fun and empowering.
I was wondering if doing barbell/rack/bench exercises once a week would help me improve my wod performance, or maybe swimming, stretching, or any of the activities that are usually offered in these.
There must be some value I can take away from this freebie.
Totally depends on the programming of your CF. You could be setting yourself up for overtraining, or it could be exactly what you need. Impossible to determine with the amount of info provided here. What is the goal of your CF programming. How do you program? Are you following mainsite? At an affiliate?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

I bench, back squat, press and deadlift (basically 5/3/1) at the globo once a week. It's a block away from my office so I go on my lunch break. Then I'll hit 1-2 metcons a week out our affiliate. Works fine for me. I wouldn't turn down a free membership.

Ryan