CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Collin Thompson

Profile:
Vertical Leap

Anyone know of any good routines to help with vertical leap? Dunking is the goal - I can get up to the rim fine, I just need a few more inches in order to get the ball over the rim.

Thanks fellas!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:
Re: Vertical Leap

Are you a two-foot jumper or a single-leg jumper?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

Also, are you talking about dunking within the context of a game, or just as a stand-alone act? I ask because that would impact whether your programming would include conditioning. There's a huge difference between a single dunk and dunking after going up and down the court 5 straight trips.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian B. Vaneria View Post
Also, are you talking about dunking within the context of a game, or just as a stand-alone act? I ask because that would impact whether your programming would include conditioning. There's a huge difference between a single dunk and dunking after going up and down the court 5 straight trips.
Wouldnt mind some advice on this too. In the context of a game im a single leg jumper (left foot - im right handed).

I'm 6'3 so shouldn't be difficult to achieve. When I was young I used to blame this inability on the color of my skin
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Power Snatch, Box Jumps for max height, Depth Jumps(wfs), Single Leg Drives(wfs). Bottom line, the best way to become a better jumper is to jump. Building strong powerful legs will increase your potential, but you have to jump.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Power Snatch, Box Jumps for max height, Depth Jumps(wfs), Single Leg Drives(wfs). Bottom line, the best way to become a better jumper is to jump. Building strong powerful legs will increase your potential, but you have to jump.
These are all great ways to build leg power.

From a basketball-specific context, the traditional conditioning methods are suicides and shuttle runs, specifically, the "17." That's sideline-to-sideline 17 times in under 60 seconds. 17s are absolutely brutal and mimic the intensity of a basketball game very well. Also, playing 1-on-1 is a great way to get in shape for basketball. I'm not talking about the kind where you take 20 dribbles to back your friend into the paint. Limit yourself to only two dribbles per possession. This really ups the intensity.

The four things that helped me be able to dunk were: (1) hill sprints, (2) box jumps - sets of 5 x 5, (3) weighted jump squats, and (4) losing weight. We used to run the hill sprints in sand. The hills were very vertical and it was all about leg drive. The losing weight part is important, too. It's much easier to dunk when you're not carrying around extra pounds.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Well it kind of depends on the play at hand I mean when I'm rebounding I'll use both feet if I'm in a good box out position but fast breaks normally just the one.

I figure I up my vert to the point of dunking and all other junping plays improve along with it. Does which foot really matter that much as far as training goes? I haven't really kept tabs on it but during games I'm sure I elevate off left and right and both all during a game. And I'll take a stand alone dunk at first and eventually work it into games, I feel like that'd be the natural progression of things....

I'm good on conditioning and drills though, I've played for 14+ years. Thanks for the exercises - what rep schemes would you recommend for those moves/how should I split them up during the week?

Last edited by Collin Thompson; 04-12-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Clifton Mack

Profile:

I am interested in improving my vertical also. I am a much better jumper off of two feet. I can dunk one-handed off of two feet with running start when I am fresh, but after a few sprints I can't get it. I do box jumps, I have also been doing heavy squats (FS and BS) to increase leg strength. When it comes to dunking I think it has a lot to do with wingspan (arm length) and if you are able to palm the ball. My wingspan isn't very good and I cant palm the ball, so its a struggle. Another thing is practice, I would try over and over and over at the gym. I have seen people taller than me that could jump just as high and couldn't dunk, its not as easy as it looks, especially when you aren't born with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Clifton Mack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Anyone know of any good routines to help with vertical leap? Dunking is the goal - I can get up to the rim fine, I just need a few more inches in order to get the ball over the rim.

Thanks fellas!
How close are you right now? Does the ball rim out (bounce out), or can you not get it over the lip of the rim?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Our volleyball coach always had us mid-stomach deep in a pool doing 100 jumps a day.Worked very well.

Last edited by Ryan Hoegner; 04-12-2012 at 11:29 AM..