CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
For the heck of it I have decided to enter an indoor rowing competition in 1 month. I have one month to get ready for a 2k. This is a video of me doing 500 meters today. Time was 1:31.0 and I am 6'3 1/2" and 210 lbs. Please critique my form and offer any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUSvxD_AyGY
Old 01-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Anthony Myers

Profile:
how many rows/minute?
did you feel tired/breathing hard, or any muscle "pump"?

I don't have anything to contribute, but I want to learn how to do 500m in 1:31.0, and wondering if I have to treat it like a sprint, but I would still like to keep my rows down. (and not move the row machine like I did, when I didn't know what I was doing.)
Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
My stride rate was about 32 spm. I was feeling very tired at the end (max effort for the day yesterday). I was breathing hard and my muscles were fatigued (not really pumped up though). I would like to get to the point where I can hold this pace for all 2k meters (won't happen anytime soon).

I would appreciate some technique pointers from the experienced rowers.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Gabe, I'm not any more experienced in this than you. The only thing I noticed is that you dunk your hands as they pass the knees on the recovery. Watching the "Oarsome Foursome" on the vid that comes with the C2, they don't do that.

Nice row.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
Lincoln, thanks for the comment. I picked up that technique from watching someone else row years ago (a kid we had training with us from the Cal rowing team). However, after watching me on video and hearing you say that (I've never seen the Oarsome Foursome vid) I think you're right in that I probably shouldn't do it. it seems like it lowers my shoulders and rounds my back a bit more and puts me in a less favorable position. I'll try not doing it. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
John Seaburg

Profile:
Gabe,

One of our trainers is a rowing instructor and I've picked up a few things from her. I even got out on the water once.

In addition to what Lincoln said, you probably want to slow down your return phase (stop rushing the "catch"). Someone your size should probably have his SPM in the low 20's on a 2K. Ideally, you would return the opposite way you pulled back (the "drive"). On the drive, it's legs first, then back, then arms. So on the return it's arms, back and then legs. Your legs shouldn't bend until the hands get about to your knee caps.

This technique comes in handy if you need more than one breath per stroke.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
John Seaburg

Profile:
Here's a link to the technique I'm talking about. He might be a little too mechanical but you get the idea. It's w/f safe...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pNX...elated&search=

Of course, what really matters is finding what works for you. Some of our trainers and clients have placed very high in competitions and the Concept2 online rakings with less than perfect form.

Where do you have the damper set at? I've heard many top rowers have it between 3-5.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
I had the damper set at 5 on this row.
This was a 500 not a 2k. I probably should have been going a little faster. My recovery phase is about the same as my drive phase isn't it? I understand legs first, then back, then arms on drive, then the reverse on the recovery...and I think I'm pretty much doing that. It should be fluid and efficient. I think the video of Andy's technique looks very weird.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Peter Borden

Profile:
OK, a couple things. For the most part you look pretty good.

1) Keep the handle level, in a straight line. If you notice, you let the handle drop once past your knees on the recovery.

2) You're rushing the recovery. Let your arms out, bend at the waist, bend your knees, in that order. Try only doing one segment of the recovery at a time.

3) You're pausing at full extension with the handle at your chest, albeit briefly. Don't pause.

And try setting the damper at 2-3 initially, for form in part
Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
okay, goals for todays session:

row at damper setting 2, slow recovery, work technique, try to feel fluid

I'll warm up by practicing only one segment at a time