CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Liam McKarry

Profile:
The joy of CF without an affiliate

Does anyone else who trains outside of an affiliate wonder whether their progress/experience is reduced because of it?

I train hard, my diet is pretty good (the odd cheat day here and there) but I am remote from a CF affiliate and have to rely on the message board for help.

If I think there are problems with my form I tend to ask the PT instructors at the globo I train at but sometimes come away with the general impression that the question I asked or the reason behind it is kind of lost on them because they don't subscribe to the CF way of thinking.

Please do not take this to be critical of CF in anyway - this program has improved my overall fitness and strength unbelievably over the last year (I can now deadlift 140Kg at a 70Kg BW) and the wealth of information available on the message board and main site (and affiliate sites for that matter) is amazing but I just wonder whether I miss some of it because of not having those like minded individuals to have friendly competition against on the gym floor or a 'proper instructor' watching over me.

I think one of the biggest things is self doubt regarding whether i'm actually doing the WOD correctly or at the right intensity - more often than not I'm absolutely hanging afterward but on occasion, I note particularly strength days or Oly lift days, I feel like I could have done more but lacked 'confidence' (for want of a better word) to go bigger.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Ryan Webernick

Profile:
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Get a partner. That may be easier said than done, but I think you would benefit from a workout partner. I find it much easier to push myself when working out with a partner-probably because I tend to be competitive.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
Does anyone else who trains outside of an affiliate wonder whether their progress/experience is reduced because of it?

I train hard, my diet is pretty good (the odd cheat day here and there) but I am remote from a CF affiliate and have to rely on the message board for help.

If I think there are problems with my form I tend to ask the PT instructors at the globo I train at but sometimes come away with the general impression that the question I asked or the reason behind it is kind of lost on them because they don't subscribe to the CF way of thinking.

Please do not take this to be critical of CF in anyway - this program has improved my overall fitness and strength unbelievably over the last year (I can now deadlift 140Kg at a 70Kg BW) and the wealth of information available on the message board and main site (and affiliate sites for that matter) is amazing but I just wonder whether I miss some of it because of not having those like minded individuals to have friendly competition against on the gym floor or a 'proper instructor' watching over me.

I think one of the biggest things is self doubt regarding whether i'm actually doing the WOD correctly or at the right intensity - more often than not I'm absolutely hanging afterward but on occasion, I note particularly strength days or Oly lift days, I feel like I could have done more but lacked 'confidence' (for want of a better word) to go bigger.
I know what you mean, I generally have to CF solo, but sometimes I can get my a buddy or two to do it with me. I would definately say that not being able to go to an affiliate slows progress, but not by a great deal. I think the biggest thing missing for those of us that cannot attend an affiliate is the lack of competition. A competitive spirit and a desire a win has the ability to bring a lot out a person. I would say if you have friends/family that will CF with you, you should take full advantage of it.

Also, even if you live far away from an affiliate most of them will give you your first few sessions free. So I would say if you can make it out to an affiliate a couple times, you should be able to get most of your questions answered and pointers on your form regarding OLY lifts and whatever else you feel like you need to improve on. Just make a list of the things you want answered and worked on, that way you wont forget when you get out to the affiliate.

If that isnt an option, invest in a video camera and post your exercises, most of the members on this forum have a lot of helpful tips.

Overall, you should get someone to workout with if you dont have one. Another person seems like an invaluble resources when working out. They are competition for your WODs, encouragement to keep up intensity, eyes on your form, and a spotter to give you confidence.

The "Hey buddy can you make sure my back isnt rounding on this DL" can be a huge help if nothing else.

Good luck, keep working hard, and dont leave any question as to whether or not you did your best when you finish your workout.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Thanks Guys

I guess I'm gonna have to re-double my efforts in converting people to the CF way.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I work out in my garage gym, although I have been to an affiliate a couple times. I think that if you keep a good journal and also follow what others are doing online, CF is very motivating even solo. Whenever a workout comes up I look in my journal and try and beat my PR; pretty motivating.

I think the group aspect of the affiliate is great, but I'm I would not worry about losing intensity. imo
Old 03-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Matthew Eucalitto

Profile:

I am very competitive with myself, and CONSTANTLY try to beat my last time/score. I'm sure i would do better with an affiliate, but I sometimes like working out on my own or just with my wife.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Travis Rieber

Profile:

Yes, I've been training Crossfit alone for 3 years now and I know that my progress is slower than if I was training at an affiliate. Skills take longer to learn and it's taken me months and sometime years to recognize form faults.
On the flip side, I love working out in my garage. I can tailor my workout to exactly what I am looking for instead of doing the group WOD. This is big for me right now because I am focusing on strength gains and actively minimizing metcons. All the affiliates around me love metcon so there is a conflict of interest there. Between Rip's books and the deluge of information on the web, I can learn any skill well enough.
Affiliates are an amazing resource but I just won't give up the freedom of running my own workouts.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
S.S.

Profile:

I've never been to an affiliate before either, though I'm hoping to go to Crossfit CenterMass this summer and possibly Crossfit South Brooklyn or The Black Box next fall.

My progress was initially slow because I had no equipment, but I finally got everything I need, and things are going very well.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

I have been in the same boat for years! I was able to find a great training partner about a year ago and that has helped immensely. If you can get to an affiliate, get there early and stay late. Get that expert coaching whenever you can. Post videos like someone else suggested.

Post and search in "In Search of CrossFitters Section"

Good luck!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

No matter how hard you're capable of pushing yourself, your intensity will still jump through the roof when you have 5 people all yelling at you to "Pick up the weight! Pick up the weight!" everytime you take more than a second to suck in some oxygen.
The difference you'll see in a month at an affiliate will amaze you.