CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Xavier Iturriagagoitia

Profile:
Elbow injury...I am clueless

Last year (8 months ago) I had an elbow injury due to overtraining (especially due to exagerated forearm training, many plyo push ups &pull ups and climbing indoors, also some weight lifting).

Everywhere I would put pressure on, it hurt (except triceps-side) so I went to see a doctor. So the doc told me I "overloaded" my elbow and needed therapy.
I got some therapy: basically I had to work my biceps non-stop on machines.
Then I started lifting (I started again with only the bar and now 4 months later I am back at 50 kg).

No pain from lifting AT ALL. But as soon as I do plyos, pull ups, push ups, endurance training, climbing or chop wood the pain comes back. But after 1 day it's gone already.
Pain is exagerated...if I push on some spots I get pain and the whole inside of my elbow feels really sore then.

Any ideas?

Yea...I know my post is a bit confusing
Old 11-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Allan Luomala

Profile:
Re: Elbow injury...I am clueless

Xavier, I have the same problem, based on your description (inside part of arm, at elbow, very sore to the touch, hurts to do pullups primarily). It was "diagnosed" (I use the term loosely, as it was a General Practitioner, not a sports medicine expert who gave me the diagnosis) as golfers elbow, and I was advised to use those arm supports that provide pressure to the area below it (toward the wrists). It works, somewhat, but not really.

I talked with someone else (a non-professional, but someone who seems to know a lot about it, as they suffer from it, and has assisted many people in relieving it), and they believe it is related to the shoulder area (it has to do with the way nerves radiate outward from that point toward the arm..... I am likely wrong in my explanation, but that is how I understand the issue). Anyway, this person applied pressure to the back of my shoulder, and it made the pain go away (temporarily). I want to stress that he provided this relief to show me how the area that he suspects is causing the pain (the shoulder area affecting my arm pain), and advised that I seek professional help. I went to a Physiotherapist about 2 other issues, and mentioned this 3rd issue, and while he didn't have the time to deal with me on this 3rd issue, he said it sounds possible and will deal with that one in a future visit (he specifically mentioned the ulnar nerve). I will let you know how I make out after this happens.

Hope this helped, Xavier, and take care,

Allan

Last edited by Allan Luomala; 11-11-2007 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Xavier Iturriagagoitia

Profile:

Thanks for the possible explanation.

I am curious what your physiotherapeut will say/do.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Xavier Iturriagagoitia

Profile:

Look what I found about the ulnar nerve:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000789.htm

Possible Complications Return to top

Partial or complete loss of wrist or hand movement
Partial or complete loss of sensation in the hand or fingers
Recurrent or unnoticed injury to the hand
Deformity of the hand

Seems to be rather a hand-problem though.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:

sounds like you have some inflammation of your wrist and hand muscles that attach mostly near the elbow. Work the exercises that are giving you difficulty in a pain free range and rep load, and gradually increase as tolerated. Ice frequently.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Xavier,

you say "Pain is exagerated...if I push on some spots I get pain and the whole inside of my elbow feels really sore then" - classic sign of trigger points.

Feel around on the upper part of the forearm - inside and outside - for hard lumps or "rubber-cable"-like muscles. If you find some, massage them with deep strokes in one direction, for about a minute or so, several times a day. This will hurt. If you massage the right spots, you will note immediate relief afterwards.

You may also have triggerpoints in the shoulder area or the triceps - look around for hard knots there, too.

Massaging the forearm can be applied well by putting the other side hand on a table and making a fist. Now you can press the affected forearm into the knuckles of the fist. The upper side of the forearm can also be massaged well by pressing it into a table edge. Or you can take a hard ball like a baseball or tennis ball to save your fingers.

The triceps can be massaged well by using the other side fist and putting it between the affected arm and your ribs, pressing in with the arm.

See http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14807&page=1 for more info on why and how to massage.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Xavier Iturriagagoitia

Profile:

As I matter of fact I do feel hard knots.

Thanks, I'll give that masage a try. Not bad, I am gonna take 2 weeks off training (due to exams) and do this massage regularly. Should work!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Allan Luomala

Profile:

Christian,

Thanks a ton for the suggestion. I am going to try this out, as it has been bothering me for some time, and I am eager for some relief. I had been focussing on the site of the pain, not realising that it would be a trigger point issue.

AL
Old 11-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
Xavier Iturriagagoitia

Profile:

By the way I just found out that it's rather the brachialis that's hurting than biceps. Didn't know there was a difference

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Brachialis.html