CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Ryan Scott

Profile:
All,

I am new to Crossfit, and in a way new to working out. I have been out of the gym for about 6 years. I gained a lot of weight and finally decided I was going to do something about it. I have been following the Crossfit 3-on 1-off rooutine for about 2 weeks and I feel like I am getting weaker.

A good example is, I used to be able to blow through my warmup (20-25min Cardio, 3x10 Dumbell bench 70lbs, 3x10 Pulldowns 165lbs, 3x10 situps) Now my warmup is starting to seem like a workout by itself.

Is it normal to feel weaker before you hit your stride and start feeling the positive effects of Crossfit?

Thanks,
Ryan.

One more thing that might also impact my performance is I am trying to stick to a 2000cal a day diet.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Ryan, welcome to CrossFit!
Make sure you've got enough "fuel in the tank" to get through your week.
Your body is probably a little shocked at what you are putting it through right now, give yourself some time to adjust.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Connie Morreale

Profile:
sounds like you are not getting adequate recovery. either scale the wod or take more recovery time. even though you are not new to working out you are new to this approach. adaptation can take several weeks.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Leah Turner

Profile:
what do the 2000 calories/day consist of? Perhaps you should post YOur diet and specs and some wiser people here can see if diet is part of the problem.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I think it's your recovery as well. Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep in a dark, quiet room, eat healthy, etc.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Ryan Scott

Profile:
I have only been getting about 6.5-7 hours a sleep a night. I will try and fit in a full 8 hours. As for my diet I try to get the majority of my calories from meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts.

I am eating too many fruits and not enough vegetables right now, simply because it is so easy to grap some fruit when you are running out the door.

I am only eating 3 meals and a snack, I know that it is recommended to eat 6 meals a day when you want to lose weight, but is it as important to performance?

Thanks,
Ryan.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
Um, you're probably going to have energy issues with a 2000 cal diet even if you're significantly overweight or not. We all don't require the same amount of calories, but I need around 2500 to maintain and I am 130 lbs... so I mean any time you're at an energy deficiency you're going to have problems with recovery even if you're trying to burn off fat. Do you know what your maintenance level of calories is?

6 meals a day is recommend to lose weight because it keeps your metabolism up. Yes, it does help both performance as less blood has to be shunted away from recovery of your muscles to your digestive system an intervals. Best to keep it relatively constant (and also avoid insulin spikes and whatnot although you shouldn't have to deal with that too much because you have a low glycemic index diet if you cut down on the fruit).

You can't just jump into 3:1 even scaled if you're going all out and you're new. You need to ease into it. You're basically in a state of underrecovery (or if you want to call it overreaching going into overtraining state..) so you need to cut back some and help yourself out more with diet and/or sleep.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Ryan Scott

Profile:
Thanks for the good input.

I do think that I have a tendency to train harder not smarter when I do workout. So even though it seems counter intuitave, to make better gains, do less and possibly eat more quality foods? Is there a good way to gauge when I am at the right level? I assume that there is always going to be a certain level of soreness and being tired. I find that when I do train it is usually at what I would consider 90% are there days when I should just be coasting and working on form?

I am sorry for all the simple questions, but right now it seems like I am starting all over.

Thanks,
Ryan.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #9
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Train hard AND smart. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
I would like to add some support for the recovery issue.

Sleep is important on several levels and getting at least 6-7 hrs is a start. What is an obstacle for you getting 8-10 hrs? Work on it somehow. Note that I do not know what you do for work. But for some people that do CrossFit, we may not get 8 hrs of sleep every night especially if we are working the overnight at a fire station for example. Calls may occupy our nights at variable times. So take advantage of all the sleep time available to you and try to muster up a lil more without messing with your other responsibilities too much.

As far as food, you are aggressively trying to lose weight. Your reduced caloric intake appears to be so. So yes, you are gonna feel like crap and feel weaker because your body is trying to put itself back in energy balance. It may also lead to your body slowing down its metabolism to preserve itself to do daily function. So perhaps following a 2000kcal diet is not realistic for your goals in the long term. One thing I remind myself daily is that doing a WOD proper continues to use calories well after the WOD is done. You might want to explore a lil more into balancing your caloric intake with your total, daily caloric expenditure. That's if you are truly hung up on calories. I don't see the problem with fruits being consumed unless they are not "money" fruits. But for recovery and weight control you may want to seriously consider the 5-6 meals approach. It works on so many other levels, besides weight loss.

Hope this reinforces it all.