CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Steve Agocs

Profile:
Foam Plyo Boxes?

Fell in love with those Rogue foam plyo boxes from the Regionals this weekend. We've had a number of serious injuries on our boxes in the year and a half I've been here but these are out of our price range. We have some really handy people at the box, so does anyone know what kind of foam would be used for a DIY version of these? I found one discussion from a number of years ago on the CF forum but the type of foam was never really sorted out.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: Foam Plyo Boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Agocs View Post
We've had a number of serious injuries on our boxes in the year and a half I've been here
I'm assuming this is an exaggeration because if it isn't, what is the key number of serious injuries needed before you stop that $hit?

You are doing it wrong if this is the case. What you are doing wrong is not making it a priority to buy those boxes, if you feel they will fix this issue. How is there a price range when people are getting hurt?

Of course, until that extra money is available, you could just have people stop doing the things that are causing serious injuries. Very few Crossfitters will notice a drop in their ability/performance and competition proficiency by not doing box jumps. It is just jumping.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I'm assuming this is an exaggeration because if it isn't, what is the key number of serious injuries needed before you stop that $hit?

You are doing it wrong if this is the case. What you are doing wrong is not making it a priority to buy those boxes, if you feel they will fix this issue. How is there a price range when people are getting hurt?

Of course, until that extra money is available, you could just have people stop doing the things that are causing serious injuries. Very few Crossfitters will notice a drop in their ability/performance and competition proficiency by not doing box jumps. It is just jumping.
Does Steve run an affiliate?

- Mark
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Joey Dussel

Profile:

I believe that jumping onto a box was originally used to reduce the landing forces on the body when doing plyometric training for explosiveness. If you jump up 20 inches but land on an 18 inch box then you've only "fallen" two inches (20-18=2). If you jump off the box back onto the ground, then you've kind of defeated the point right?

Maybe box jumps should be used for explosiveness training primarily, and not used as much as a metcon tool (and no, I'm not saying you should never do box jumps in a workout!).

We've had one box jump injury in four years and it was a women doing jumps on her own. She wasn't following instructions given by the staff.

-Joey
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dussel View Post
Maybe box jumps should be used for explosiveness training primarily, and not used as much as a metcon tool (and no, I'm not saying you should never do box jumps in a workout!).

-Joey
I think that is pretty much a given everywhere save the Crossfit community. Fine with me since I am slow as molasses on box jumps in a metcon.