CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Om Puri

Profile:
Front Squat Form

Here is my Front Squat.
I've got kyphotic posture. Trying to fix it by foam rolling, stretching pecs.
Anything else I can do?
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Front Squat Form

Looked pretty solid. I would say keep those elbows up.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Kid Jansen

Profile:

Ask someone to perform the stretch on you as shown in the video below @ 2:10-2:45. It will help you a lot with pushing your elbows up and might also reduce your kyphotic posture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKLVlYt2Ioc (WFS)

Also try to push your shoulders up, so that you don't need to push them forward to clear your clavicles. If you push them up it's easier to also flex your upper back, if you push your shoulders forward that's pretty much impossible.

If you flex your upper back as hard as you can and also push your shoulders and elbows up as hard as you can, your upper body might actually wear out before your legs do. Just because of the time they are under isometric tension. It might therefore also help to reduce the number of reps to 3 max and do high bar back squats instead if you want extra leg work.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Jansen View Post
Ask someone to perform the stretch on you as shown in the video below @ 2:10-2:45. It will help you a lot with pushing your elbows up and might also reduce your kyphotic posture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKLVlYt2Ioc (WFS)

Also try to push your shoulders up, so that you don't need to push them forward to clear your clavicles. If you push them up it's easier to also flex your upper back, if you push your shoulders forward that's pretty much impossible.

If you flex your upper back as hard as you can and also push your shoulders and elbows up as hard as you can, your upper body might actually wear out before your legs do. Just because of the time they are under isometric tension. It might therefore also help to reduce the number of reps to 3 max and do high bar back squats instead if you want extra leg work.
Thanks, Kid. Look forward to trying that front rack stretch.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Another thing that works with getting your elbows up is using straps while front squatting. My Coach has made me Squat with straps for the last month straight due to poor elbow mobility and disproportionately strong upper back to lower back ratio(causing a thoracic curve at high weights). In 1 months time, I have put 45 pounds on my front squat solely due to better mobility in the elbows and a stronger upper back that does not curl forward at heavy weights.

If you need clarification I can snap a few pictures or a video to show you what I mean.

-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
Another thing that works with getting your elbows up is using straps while front squatting. My Coach has made me Squat with straps for the last month straight due to poor elbow mobility and disproportionately strong upper back to lower back ratio(causing a thoracic curve at high weights). In 1 months time, I have put 45 pounds on my front squat solely due to better mobility in the elbows and a stronger upper back that does not curl forward at heavy weights.

If you need clarification I can snap a few pictures or a video to show you what I mean.

-Matt
A pic or 2 would help. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
A pic or 2 would help. Thanks!
Here they are. Basically just attach them to the Bar. Grab the straps with a hammer fist and rotate upwards so that the bar is in a Front Rack position with the elbows nice and high. It will feel awkward at first but you will get used to it and it will make a world of difference.
(WFS):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	straps1.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	11449  Click image for larger version

Name:	straps.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	11450  
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Kid Jansen

Profile:

Ah, like that, that was not what I was expecting.

I thought you meant you'd have to use the straps in a similar fashion as when deadlifting. Which could also work, but is a bit all or nothing. You'd have to be quite close to the desired flexibility to be able to do that safely, otherwise you might tear something.

I always front squat the same way I do the clean recovery, since I'm doing it to improve my clean & jerk anyway. But with clean rack grip I always find it hard to keep a full grip on the bar and at the same time push my shoulders and elbows up. Usually my pinkies slip out and sometimes also my ring fingers. The first isn't really a problem, but if the latter also happens I find it nearly impossible to get my grip right for the jerk. Using straps in a deadlift way could help with that, but it's probably safer to stretch that up with the stretching exercise shown in the video I linked to earlier.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
Here they are. Basically just attach them to the Bar. Grab the straps with a hammer fist and rotate upwards so that the bar is in a Front Rack position with the elbows nice and high. It will feel awkward at first but you will get used to it and it will make a world of difference.
(WFS):
That's awesome, Matt. Thanks.

So did the straps make your upper back stronger (in front squat)?

Guess I need to get some straps. I also live in Canuckistan. Where do u recommend getting them from? (I can order from Umerica too as I live near border).
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
That's awesome, Matt. Thanks.

So did the straps make your upper back stronger (in front squat)?

Guess I need to get some straps. I also live in Canuckistan. Where do u recommend getting them from? (I can order from Umerica too as I live near border).
Made my upper back considerably stronger. my Front Squat has gone up 45 Pounds in the last 3 weeks due to a stronger upper back that no longer curves forward under heavy load. It has also translated well into my High Bar Back Squat.

I bought the Spud Inc straps from Rogue. I really like them. That being said, you can make your own straps for MUCH cheaper. There are a lot of websites that give tips on how to make them. You really just need to buy some cheap webbing and can make them in a variety of ways that work well. I find longer straps work better since they will give you more fabric to grip.