CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #401
Jeremy Green

Profile:
Re: Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I'd say "less blankets on the bed" but it hasn't been particularly warm at night in Edwardsville recently...
I totally need to change that. Used to live in edwardsville but now i'm up in chicago, where it is a bit cooler. But, i'm not even using a sheet and it doesn't happen on no carb days. Do you work out at any of the boxes around collinsville? A lot of my friends are still down there.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #402
Craig Horstman

Profile:

ok, i apologize for the long post, but i'm gonna do it anyway lol. i read through the book yesterday and read through this thread up to pg 25 before my a.d.d. got the best of me and made me quit. first of all, my stats are 33 y/o, 188(ish)lbs, 5'9", around 17-19% bf. i am in the army and run 3 days a week (mon 3-4 mile run, wed sprints, fri 3-4 miles run). unfortunately dropping the running is not an option. i also go to an affiliate on average 3-4 times a week (mon, tues, thurs, fri, with yoga on sat). at the affiliate we do a short, usually 1 exercise strength program or barbell complex, and a metcon no longer than 30 min. my goals are to drop some of the bf while still getting stronger. i got the recommendation from paul over at eat to perform to try out cbl, so here i am. i posted pretty much this same question over on the dh forum and got the general "use the search" and "read the book" answers. i'm hoping for a little better advice here. this is what my schedule looks like now:
0300-0400: wake up, coffee, get ready
0500-0630: pt (run mon, wed, fri)
0730: breakfast (4 egg whites, banana, almonds, baby carrots)
0800-1130: class (i'm an instructor) with a snack around 1000 of an apple and peanut butter
1130-1300: lunch (salad with lettuce, 1 bell pepper, 1/3 of a large cucumber, some type of meat ie tuna, chicken breast, left overs from dinner, some more baby carrots)
1300-1600: class with a snack of an apple and coconut oil around 1530
1630-1800: workout at the box followed by 16oz whole milk with 2 scoops of nitrean+ and 5g creatine
1830: dinner (whatever the wife fixes. usually some type of meat, veggies, maybe some starch)
2100: in bed
so here is where the questions come in. so i've figured out/been told so far that i don't need to eat anything special after my morning runs. after that, i need to ditch the carrots, banana, and apples and replace with protein and fat at about a 1:1. for the shakes keifer recommends, should i still go with before, during, and after? or can at least the during be left out? also outside of what i already know i have to drop, and the fact that i need to get more carbs at night, what should i be doing/what changes should i make to my diet? again, sorry for the long post, but hoping to get some good info here so i can try this out.
ratio

Last edited by Craig Horstman : 04-23-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #403
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Green View Post
I totally need to change that. Used to live in edwardsville but now i'm up in chicago, where it is a bit cooler. But, i'm not even using a sheet and it doesn't happen on no carb days. Do you work out at any of the boxes around collinsville? A lot of my friends are still down there.
Actually I'm at CrossFit Edwardsville. Pretty much all of those Collinsville/Caseyville/Edwardsville boxes opened up after I started - a year ago, CFE was the only affiliate around!

We are on the verge of hijacking this thread though, feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #404
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Hey Craig. If you are working out at a box on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, I'd backload the night before those days (Sunday night, Monday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night). After your workouts on those days at 1800, have some protein + creatine + 1-2 bananas. Then at about 1900-2000, backload if it falls on a backload day, or just have protein and veggies.

Remember, with carb backloading, you are shifting yours carbs to later on the day, so try to fast in the morning. This is what I would do:

0730: coffee. If you are still hungry, make an onces coffee and throw some heavy whipping cream or MCT Oil and low carb protein powder. That holds me until 10AM.
0800-1130: 4 hardboiled eggs at around 9 or 10
1130-1300: lunch (salad with lettuce, 1 bell pepper, 1/3 of a large cucumber, some type of meat ie tuna, chicken breast, left overs from dinner, some more baby carrots)
1300-1600: I wouldn't have anything. If you have to, have some peanut butter.
1630-1800: workout at the box followed by protein + creatine + 1-2 bananas
1830: dinner (whatever the wife fixes. usually some type of meat, veggies). If it is a backload night, then have at it. I like things like rice and sweet potatoes, but I also have pancakes and other non-Paleo things on e in a while.

If you start having some issues after your morning run, then you may have to tweak a little bit. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #405
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post
my goals are to drop some of the bf while still getting stronger.
if this is truly your goal then i would look to change your training as much as your diet
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #406
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Hey Craig. If you are working out at a box on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, I'd backload the night before those days (Sunday night, Monday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night). After your workouts on those days at 1800, have some protein + creatine + 1-2 bananas. Then at about 1900-2000, backload if it falls on a backload day, or just have protein and veggies.

Remember, with carb backloading, you are shifting yours carbs to later on the day, so try to fast in the morning. This is what I would do:

0730: coffee. If you are still hungry, make an onces coffee and throw some heavy whipping cream or MCT Oil and low carb protein powder. That holds me until 10AM.
0800-1130: 4 hardboiled eggs at around 9 or 10
1300-1600: I wouldn't have anything. If you have to, have some peanut butter.
1630-1800: workout at the box followed by protein + creatine + 1-2 bananas
1830: dinner (whatever the wife fixes. usually some type of meat, veggies). If it is a backload night, then have at it. I like things like rice and sweet potatoes, but I also have pancakes and other non-Paleo things on e in a while.

If you start having some issues after your morning run, then you may have to tweak a little bit. Let me know if you need anything else.
thanks paulo. so nothing pre-wo even after not eating for a few hours? also, i'm looking to program a diet for my wife, but she has a lot more body fat to drop than i do. would it be better for me to go straight to cbl or look into cns for both of us for a while and then me switch to cbl after a bit and her switch later?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
if this is truly your goal then i would look to change your training as much as your diet
what would you change? i'm not looking to drop massive amounts here. 3-4% max. i think 15% would put me about where i want to be.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #407
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
thanks paulo. so nothing pre-wo even after not eating for a few hours? also, i'm looking to program a diet for my wife, but she has a lot more body fat to drop than i do. would it be better for me to go straight to cbl or look into cns for both of us for a while and then me switch to cbl after a bit and her switch later?
I'd put her on Carb Nite. I wouldn't have anything pre-WOD. Try it for a while and see how it goes.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #408
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
How were your measurements at 200?
well, like I said I was pretty loose on the guidelines so I wound up backloading even before non-training days. I'd say with 25 pounds of weight gain I only put around 2 inches or so on my waist. The rest went on my quads and shoulders I think ahaha
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #409
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:

what would you change? i'm not looking to drop massive amounts here. 3-4% max. i think 15% would put me about where i want to be.
well if you goal is to get stronger then only doing "1 lift or a barbell complex" 4 times a week while running 3 times with four 30 minute metcons is not what you should be doing.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #410
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
well if you goal is to get stronger then only doing "1 lift or a barbell complex" 4 times a week while running 3 times with four 30 minute metcons is not what you should be doing.
it's a slow process, but it's a process. since december i've put 20lbs on my front squat and from december to march i put 10lbs on my squat and deadlift.