CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Issue with Squats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
Develop a stretching routine and stay consistent with it. Within a week or two you'll notice a difference and be able to squat to full depth without trouble.

The key here isn't so much the routine, but the consistency.
I'll argue, the key is not necessarily consistency if what you routinely do, is not helping the problem.
That's like if you cannot snatch, or OHS, etc. just doing it more, will only get you better at doing a crappy snatch, OHS, etc.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

One other note. Passive flexibility can be a limitation, but commonly for new trainees, it is active flexibility - the ability to support and control yourself near your end range of motion. This isn't to say you shouldn't work on the hamstring and achilles stretches and mobilizations recommended by everyone else, but you also need to train your body to work the new movement pattern. Try squatting wiht a light to moderate weight dumbbell or kettlebell held in front of you in a goblet squat position (wfs). The weight in front will help you sit back onto your heels and activate your hamstrings to get deeper, while keeping your back straight. Another good technique to work the movement pattern is to replace the KB with grabbing a pole or other immovable object to simultaneously sit back and pull your midsection forward into a neutral spine position. Working the movement pattern with this assistance will help you develop better for for a deep squat, both unweighted and loaded.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Tom Watt

Profile:

Have found that the issue is more my ankles not being able to bend. I fractured my ankle about 10 years ago and have been to physio for it. I can barely get my knee in front of my toes.

I have been doing assisted squats by holding a pole for balance when low down, however I find my centre of gravity is too far to the rear and I want to fall on my arse.

Hopefully just practising the movement will help loosen me up over time.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

That's a tough physical limitation to overcome. Working the position won't cure that. You need to attack the mobility limitation directly, assuming there isn't some bony structures gone horribly awry, in which case you aren't going to get much out of squatting. More likely, it is a super tight achilles tendon, which while tough as it comes when trying to stretch, is still designed to be pliable and can be worked. Like Michael said, check out KStar's mobilityWOD site for drills that attack this a variety of ways. For example (wfs):

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/t...squatting.html

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/05/e...technique.html

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/07/e...ase-study.html
Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #15
Tom Watt

Profile:

Actually had a look at those Mobility WOD videos today with a couple of others. Guess its something I have to keep working on. Cheers
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Watt View Post
Have found that the issue is more my ankles not being able to bend. I fractured my ankle about 10 years ago and have been to physio for it. I can barely get my knee in front of my toes.

I have been doing assisted squats by holding a pole for balance when low down, however I find my centre of gravity is too far to the rear and I want to fall on my arse.

Hopefully just practising the movement will help loosen me up over time.
Thus the reason for a complete history. You would have, or have spent weeks trying to implement everyone's opinion on here....and you missed in telling us the biggest part!

In this case, while the ankle may not be your only problem, I'm willing to bet it's going to be the #1 reason for your problems. Depending on the surgery, it may not be able to return to normal. Something about rods and metal plates, they just don't like to bend!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'm willing to bet it is not hamstring tightness. There is a test for hamstring flexibility which I fail miserably yet I squat (low bar back, front and overhead) deep.

The how to squat I like best for learning and teach is in Starting Strength 3rd Ed..

We have had very good results at my gym using 2 feet long pieces of 2x6 (about $1.25 at HD for both pieces from the scrap pile) at the front of the toe and then a wall ball as a depth target. Don't knock over the wood and touch your butt to the ball. Combine that with correctly turning out the knees and we get most people squatting much better.

When I talk about turning out the knee I mean rotating the knees towards the out side of the foot while not moving the foot. The knee is changing its position between the ankle and the femur/pelvis joint. Think of pointing your knee cap at your little toe. What it does is free up the femur/pelvis restriction that can prevent full depth.

Occasionally we will get a guy who does all this correctly and still struggles. In these cases so far it has always been tight connective tissue. Think hip capsule. This is very strong membrane that surrounds the joint and holds everything together. If you do not use a joint through full range of motion for a long time the membrane loses its flexibility in the unused range of motion.

In these cases once technique is good we have found squatting with weight helps to stretch things out. We like goblet squats with kettle bells for this because it is easy to keep the back in good position. Focus on the stretch in the bottom and trying to get a little deeper every time. This process can take a while. That capsule tissue is very strong, but it will open back up if you work on it.