CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Kalyn Campbell

Profile:
Nutrition for recovering between multiple workouts in a day

Hi everyone. So I've been doing Crossfit since October, at least 3x a week and an average of 5x a week this past month. Recently, I've decided to pursue an EOD contract with the Navy. Since I'm in no way physically qualified right now (I can pass the swim, a fifth of the test), I've started training in the afternoon about 11 hours after my morning WOD.

The afternoon workout consists of a swim (now about 20 min, will gradually work up to 45), 3-4 sets of pushups, situps and strict pullups, and then a run. For the run, I'm starting out at 6 miles a week and building up to 16 over two months.
I'm currently transitioning to strict Paleo but I'm concerned about recovery in between the two workouts. Just to be clear, I would only be doing two a days on MWF, and a WOD/run swim on Tuesday. Should I be considering a recovery type supplement? Or should I just adjust my overall protein intake? I didn't go Paleo due to dairy intolerance. I'd really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Nutrition for recovering between multiple workouts in a day

Just keep your nutrition clean, and get in a protien and carb source immediately after your workouts.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Richard Rubin

Profile:

When I was doing strict Paleo I would eat about 3 oz Grilled chicken and half a sweet potato after a workout. Really noticed a difference in my recovery times. I believe whole30 says a half meal portion after workouts, which inclusion of a carb like Sweet Potato or squash. I went a little less than a half portion just because I find it difficult to eat food after a workout.

Lately I don't have the time to prep meals for after every workout, so I just use a protein shake after. I feel I had better results with the actual food though.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Kalyn Campbell

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I typically have two hard boiled eggs when I get home from the morning WOD. Would a sweet potato be a good carb source? I know some people like fruit but fruit makes me want to snack for the rest of the day.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Kalyn Campbell

Profile:

Thanks Richard. I will definitely plan on stocking up on sweet potatoes and trying to have more quick protein available. It's good to hear about people having better results with just food as opposed to supplements. I really want to steer clear of them since they're expressly banned in the military.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

that schedule has the potential to really run you into the ground if you're not careful.

Since it sounds like you're chasing performance and not aesthetics, make sure you're eating enough food, period. It's easy to under eat doing strick paleo.

- At least .75 - 1 g of protein per pound of body weight.
- I'd keep the carbs in the form of starchy tubers (sweet potato, yams, carrots) and keep them post workout, fruit (mostly berries) is fine but you'll probably get more bang for your buck from consuming more sweet potatoes.
- Total calories will be determined by how much you weigh and how much you're doing. I would let me hunger dictate how much you should eat. Might want to weigh and measure for a few days every couple of weeks to get an idea of how much you're eating. This is to make sure you're EATING ENOUGH!.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 07-16-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Agree with the previous post.

Also, if you can pass the swim now, why are you practicing it?
You won't lose it if you drop it until you bring your other areas up,
and go back to it a couple weeks before the test.

That would make the second workout less demanding nutritionally and in terms of recovery.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

peanut butter and chocolate milk.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Kalyn Campbell

Profile:

Thanks again for all the replies everyone.

Michael, any recommendation on how much I should go for in terms of carbs? My post WOD meal is also breakfast so I need to be a little bit full. Also, any tips on telling the difference between when I'm actually hungry as in I need to eat and when I might just be a little bored?

Larry, I'm swimming so frequently because I don't just have to pass the test to get a contract. I have to destroy it. Additionally, in dive school, I'll be expected to swim miles in open water. Swimming is obviously my strength right now and I want it to improve even more. Right now, the swim doesn't feel incredibly demanding. I'm working on improving my overall stamina first, then working on speed when my other skills catch up. I don't feel particularly taxed after the swim at this point.

Joey, peanut butter is a cheat for me right now. As for chocolate milk, I had a high school track coach who also told me it was awesome for recovery. It really soothed the sweet cravings I'd often get after a demanding run. Since I'm dairy tolerant, I might throw in a glass every now and then. Any recommendations on something I could sub for Hershey's syrup?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Robert Walsh

Profile:

whey protein is banned from being used in the military?