CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-17-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Robert Doherty

Profile:
My lower back is very sore after Diane. It was the first time I did the actual work out without scaling back. I'm concerned that my form quickly turned bad while trying to complete the work out fast. Not sore at all in my legs, very sore in my upper and lower back. Should my lower back be sore?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
Mine was (and is) after Diane, but not excessively. I once DL'ed a long time ago with bad form and had heavy soreness for a week. Learned to try and avoid that, especially because your lower back is active all day, no matter what.

Your hips might be rising ahead of your legs, which would take your primary movers out of the lift. Then it's just stiff-legged DL. I don't have Mark Rippetoe's guidelines right in front of me at the moment, but he knows his stuff. I will try to post all the form points/cues later.

Also, the recovery part of the lift is important. I think when I seriously made myself sore, I was banging the weight around with no consideration of body position. From a post on the Digital Coaching section, 'keep your back arched, push your butt out, and keep the shins vertical. Push your body away from the bar, not the bar away from the body.'

(Message edited by imagnusx on July 17, 2007)
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
David Vessey

Profile:
I'm going to have to crack open Starting Strength again as well.. my lower back is still killing me today.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Diane has done the same to me before. Too much back and too little leg on the deadlifts.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Chris Honnon

Profile:
There is certainly a "good" sore but there is also a "bad" sore. I just finished a scaled (205# and regular PU's, almost all sets broken) Diane about an hour ago and my mid-back is already experiencing the "bad" type. Definitely a form issue.

Don't mean to thread hijack but Ben, I think you might be right on because thinking back my earlier reps were very leg strong while my more "tired" reps were not quite enough squat in the low position (ie, too much bending at the waist).

I'm thinking I need to scale the weight back a bit more. I'm in such a hurry to become stronger/better/faster that I may be pushing myself to an injury.

Just purchased Starting Strength and there is a great deal of information in there about the DL that I haven't read yet; I suppose I know what to do next.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I am quite strong with a big bend, but I've started going way in the other direction (basically a squat position) whenever possible because my lower back is not kind to me. Form over weight IMO...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #7
Albert Carr

Profile:
I have never experience lower back soreness while doing DL's.I do experience a little soreness in my upper back/traps on occassion. I don't know what your training experience is but maybe you need to focus on some exercises to help with lumbar strength and keep the DL light for now. After strengthening up your lower back and learning to execute the lift with proper form you can start adding some weight on.