CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Brian Adams

Profile:
Lower back pain

I've been to two doctors and two chiro in order to determine the cause of my lower back pain. I've had xrays performed and have held off on the cost of getting MRI done.

I've had different opinions on the cause of the pain. None of which sit well with me at this point, especially since the xrays were inconclusive.

I sit all day at work and I am naturally on the less flexible side when it comes to quads, hams, hips and calves. After sitting is when the pain begins. After any WOD that includes squating (which WOD doesn't....) I almost always wake up out of commission. I've most recently replaced my xfit warmup with a stretching routine focused on the lower body. This helps but the return of pain after a day of sitting or a WOD with squatting is inevitable.

Based on some reading I've been doing my gut is telling me I have developed an issue with the psoas.

I am asking for any opinion or suggestion that may help at this point.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Lower back pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
I've been to two doctors and two chiro in order to determine the cause of my lower back pain. I've had xrays performed and have held off on the cost of getting MRI done.

I've had different opinions on the cause of the pain. None of which sit well with me at this point, especially since the xrays were inconclusive.

I sit all day at work and I am naturally on the less flexible side when it comes to quads, hams, hips and calves. After sitting is when the pain begins. After any WOD that includes squating (which WOD doesn't....) I almost always wake up out of commission. I've most recently replaced my xfit warmup with a stretching routine focused on the lower body. This helps but the return of pain after a day of sitting or a WOD with squatting is inevitable.

Based on some reading I've been doing my gut is telling me I have developed an issue with the psoas.

I am asking for any opinion or suggestion that may help at this point.
If you weren't happy with the 4 doctors you have already seen, what makes you think you'll be happy with the hearsay you that you will get on here? There's alot of helpful info, but nothing is going to take the place of being evaluated by a skillful doctor.

Break open the piggy bank and get an MRI, or goto your fifth doctor. FWIW, you're x-rays are going to be inconclusive for almost every soft tissue injury. So the fact that yours were too, just most likely means that your pain is not the result of any hard tissue pathology.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Given when you say the symptoms come on my first thought is weak core and lumbar instability. An MRI definitely will not show that, but since you have seen four docs it might be worth it. Have you done any rehab?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

I was having similar issues and found a chiropractor that specializes in neurology. Been going for a couple weeks now and its been great. I had done the same thing, X-rays, adjustments, PT and nothing but this really has helped. I was skeptical at first but again its been great.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Brian Adams

Profile:

Please tell me they don't practice applied kinseology.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Dave Cox

Profile:

The chair wrecks my back too. My chiropractor has helped a lot but for me I believe a weak core and tight hamstrings is the cause of my most recent bouts of pain.
Been stretching a lot but yesterday I had to sit in an 8 hr. training class and I was wrecked after I got out. Trying to do air squats this morning and my mobility was awful. Did some KStarr wod to open up the hips and spent the latter part of the morning stretching hips, hamstrings, and abductors. I stretched for at least a half hour.
Do a search on hamstrings/lower back pain. If your not stretching you might want to investigate it and get on a serious stretching regime. Just my .02