CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:
Nothing but Squat

What would happen to your physique and athleticism if you did nothing but squats (and variations), box jumps and sprints?????
Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Nothing but Squat

You would create numerous asymmetries and make your likelihood of injury much greater than if you didn't do such a thing.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

What would your purpose be in doing this?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

What would happen if the sky changed color? Why would you over work certain areas and not address the body as a whole?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
Brian Carver

Profile:

The dose makes the poison.

If programmed intelligently, I'd imagine you'd make progress doing this--certainly more than sitting on your couch or watching Oprah from your elliptical. However, it would be an incomplete program and would be less than optimal.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Seeing as how the sqat and variations are full body movements I think you would fair well. When you do a smolov cycle, which I have so that is where I am going with this, its best not to do any extras. However my traps got bigger and my friends legs got bigger mine didnt but both of our squats did go up so go figure. It will be different do just squats, sprints and box jumps for awhile and see where it goes then let us know.

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 07-25-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
You would create numerous asymmetries and make your likelihood of injury much greater than if you didn't do such a thing.
What sort of asymmetries, exactly? How would it increase injury?

Isn't this basically what sprinters do? Mostly sprint, some squatting, some jumping?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
What sort of asymmetries, exactly? How would it increase injury?

Isn't this basically what sprinters do? Mostly sprint, some squatting, some jumping?

Become hip flexor and quad dominant. Anterior shift in pelvis(facet impingement), lengthening the hamstrings(making them tight and LONG vs. tight and SHORT). This will inhibit the glutes from firing and decrease powerful hip extension(creating a situation where most extension will come from the lumbar spine, not the hips). Overactive/tight hip flexors will also decrease power for other explosive hip exercises.

If this is for sport specific ie. sprinting, you could argue that is the benefit to them. I'd argue that long term, fixing the asymmetries would result in a better sprinter, or athlete in general; and more likely less prone to injury.

Most pro sprinters, golfers, baseball players, discus throwers are asymmetrical for their given sport. If you're getting paid millions, go for it, but I'd still argue against it. Long term these asymmetries will lead to a greater chance of injury.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

you would get stronger and faster.

if adding mass up top to slow you down is a concern, i would still recommend throwing pushups / dips and pullups / chins on a regular basis. you won't gain mass with these bodyweight exercises, but will still keep the muscles fit and functional and reasonably strong. i would also suggest adding a few sets of deadlifts, leg curls, glute ham, or power cleans after the squats to balance things out a little.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Become hip flexor and quad dominant. Anterior shift in pelvis(facet impingement), lengthening the hamstrings(making them tight and LONG vs. tight and SHORT). This will inhibit the glutes from firing and decrease powerful hip extension(creating a situation where most extension will come from the lumbar spine, not the hips). Overactive/tight hip flexors will also decrease power for other explosive hip exercises.
How do you call it an "asymmetry" when the anterior and posterior are supposed to be different? My understanding is that an asymmetry is only a problem when certain parts of the body are supposed to similar (e.g. left/right).

How would FS/BS, sprinting, and box jumps inhibit the glutes from firing and cause one to become quad dominant? Seems to me that proper form on all of these exercises will involve significant recruitment of the glutes and hamstrings in addition to the hip flexors and quadriceps.

Do you have many sprinter clients come to you with weak hip extension and lack of glute recruitment?