CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Josh R James

Profile:
Simple Group workouts

Ive just been offered to be the Strength and Conditioning coach for my university's rugby team for the forthcoming academic year.

Currently at the moment ive been doing Crossfit for around a year, and think its one of the best ways in which to condition the body. I think that incorporating Crossfit into the teams fitness sessions will dramatically make them fitter, and also maybe get them interested in Crossfit.

I am just seeking group workouts that the lads can do to increase team bonding but also train a large group at the same time. I know that Fight Gone Bad would be an obvious choice.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Josh-
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Simple Group workouts

Congratulations on the position! That sounds exciting. How many people are you working out at once? What equipment do you have or could you make? Some ideas I've been considering:

No equipment interval conditioning such as:
10 burpees, 200m sprint, rest 1 minute (start rest timer when last person finishes or, if you want to be really mean, when the first person finishes). Repeat 5 to 10 times.

AMRAP workouts with bodyweight movements. Easy to control a big group.
(check out this thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739 (WFS) for lots of bodyweight workout ideas)

Partner or team workouts. Have them break into pairs and then have part of the WoD be dragging or carrying their partner.

That's off the top of my head. If you are interested we could hash out more specific stuff.

Oh, and I know you asked about conditioning, but I'd be doing a poor job giving advice if I didn't reinforce that conditioning won't win them games if they aren't strong too. Make sure you have a solid plan for the weight room, if you don't already.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Bruce Harper

Profile:

Congratulations. I played rugby in college and agree with you about crossfit training being great for the sport.

I would recommend incorporating the following two aspects:
1. Core training: These are great because you can turn them into competitions and have them work with partners so it is good for team building. I found these especially useful for forwards and their set piece work (scrums and line-outs for the non-rugby folks out there reading).
2. Timed two miles runs: I read somewhere that in a rugby game a player runs on average two miles. One thing our team did was train for that by doing timed two mile runs. Different players had to meet different times based on their position. Times had to get faster as the season went on and once again times were based on position.

Hope this helps, and good luck to your team this season.

Bruce Harper
"The best way to know how to handle situations with somebody in a wheelchair is to ask somebody in a wheelchair." ~ Daniel Sutherland
www.braunability.com
Old 02-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Josh R James

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

I coached my first session tonight and thought it went very well. Not all the players turned up like i had hoped.. so i was only training 10 athletes which meant i had to change some workouts around.

Anyway after a warm up, 5 of the guys performed "fight gone bad" while the rest were sprinting 25kg weighted plates across the hall onto a crash-matt which then had to be dragged in pairs back the length of the hall (approx 50 meters). After the "Fight gone bad" had been performed the guys swapped around.

At end the session i got them performing burpees, lunges and press ups before a long shuttle run. This session took around an hour.

For David Meverden... i should normally have around 15 players to coach, but its all over the place with injuries and people going home for the weekend etc. But the equipment that i have available is a sports hall with matts, and a gym next to it with your usual barbell, dumbbells, squat rack, Olympic lifting platform and cardio machines. Oh and that for that link... loads of great ideas in the PDF file i especially like the deck of cards workout.

To Bruce Harper thanks for the reply also, and its good to find another person on here that also knows the game of Rugby The 2 mile runs are a good idea, and something that i would like to start doing regularly on a separate day down the river next to where we train. We did start to do 10k runs with circuits every couple of miles, but nobody really bothered. I'm sure a 2 mile run wont be quite as scary for the lads.

Anyway cheers for the reply guys, and any thoughts would be appreciated. Take it easy

Josh-