CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Nat Sabatt

Profile:
Flat feet / rebuilding arches

I have heard from the CF community that there is no such thing as hereditary flat feet, and that arches can be rebuilt. However, I am 21 and have had flat feet for as long as I can remember. Has anyone else heard of rebuilding arches, and if so, how is this done?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Flat feet / rebuilding arches

I have actually done it, although I didn't know I was trying to do it. I had flat feet my whole life as well and my family has notoriously bad feet. Mine used to hurt after standing for any length of time too. I would wear shoes constantly from the time I woke up until I went to bed. I ran in the thickest bounciest shoes I could find and my feet used to hurt. I used heel cups, insoles, arch supports, whatever, with no luck. My feet looked like a hobbits, fat and flat.

A couple years ago when I first started crossfitting I got some VFF's and started using them for a few wods, some walking, and some light jogging. I also started to go barefoot around the house instead of wearing shoes.

Then about a year ago I also bought some dharma's so that I could go minimalist at work instead of just at home. I wear those to work every day now and on my 1/2 mile to and from work to the car.

One day my wife and I just noticed that my feet looked way better. And now they even have an arch. I weigh the same now as I did, btw.

I also deadlift barefoot. I've noticed that my feet were sometimes very "tired", sore even, after deadlifts and squats. So perhaps lifting heavy has also helped strengthen them.

Anyway, yeah it works. Your feet have muscles and can be strengthened just like other muscles.

After reading this I think it becomes fairly obvious why strengthening these muscles helps.
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/1...g-on-the-feet/ (WFS)

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 02-02-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Yes, look up "short foot" exercises. Here is a link to get you started: http://fisioterapia-cascais.com/en/p...foot-janda.htm
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Sabatt View Post
I have heard from the CF community that there is no such thing as hereditary flat feet, and that arches can be rebuilt. However, I am 21 and have had flat feet for as long as I can remember. Has anyone else heard of rebuilding arches, and if so, how is this done?
You heard wrong. There are definitely some cases of some horrendously malformed feet. However, these cases are rare. Most people have weak feet and can do much to strengthen them.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I've done the same thing, used to have FLAT flat feet until I was about 22........I've been lifting barefoot for a good ten years, but it didn't help until I had someone get in there with their hands.

the VFF's help reinforce good patterns, but IMO, you need to get a Rolf Method practitioner or someone similar to really grind out the fascia that's holding your feet in that pattern. 2-3 painful sessions usually gets the job done, but you typically still need to look after it with mobility stuff......At least I do-
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Yep, read this and this

wfs (one already linked above)
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/1...g-on-the-feet/

The people with genetically bad feet is like the amount of people with genetic obesity. Less than 2% of the population who actually have the problem.

98% of the time people weak feet and improper biomechanics.... or 98% of the time people's poor dietary patterns lead them to being obese

Shoes, sitting, and lower body dysfunctions has a lot of exercises specifically on page 4 that go towards correcting a lot of the valgus issues that appear in the lower body as a result of these problems.

It's system so it needs ot be taken care of systemically.