CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:
Squat question

So we held our own CFT competition at my friends garage gym and we recorded the attempts, I don't have them now but when i do i will post them, my question is in to regards of on my highest attempt of 265 my knees slightly bent in then straightened out, any ideas of why and how to fix it? i was squatting without shoes because i read that sneakers are to cushiony for squats and dl. any help would be appreciated.
Eddie.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Squat question

Pics/vid would help in answering that, but I think that's a fairly common thing. Certainly my knees try to jab in as the load goes up.

The fix (for me at least) is just to silently yell at myself to push my knees out and keep my feet flat on the floor. When I push my knees out, my first tendency always seems to be to roll my feet to the outside; i.e. so that the insides of my soles come off the floor.

What I don't do is spend any time looking at them to see where they are. If you need help with that, have someone tell you where they are.

And, yeah, squatting shoeless is fine. Even better is to go with either something like Chucks or (best) lifting shoes.

- Mark
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

thansk mark. i will post them up when i get home from school tonight. also my deadlift video....that one is kinda bad though.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Ryan Earle

Profile:

Strengthen our Adductors with the Cossack squat. http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...not-doing.html (semi worksafe, some language and guys shirtless) -- but like Mark said, just keep telling yourself to keep the knees out while you are coming up. I think for us average lifters it is only natural that has your 1 rep max you will get some knee buckling. The goal is to fight it.

Last edited by Ryan Earle : 09-02-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Baumgartner View Post
So we held our own CFT competition at my friends garage gym and we recorded the attempts, I don't have them now but when i do i will post them, my question is in to regards of on my highest attempt of 265 my knees slightly bent in then straightened out, any ideas of why and how to fix it? i was squatting without shoes because i read that sneakers are to cushiony for squats and dl. any help would be appreciated.
Eddie.
"besides the fact that the weight was so f*(&ing heavy?" --Ripp

A max attempt is never going to be perfect, nor pretty. If this is not an issue during your regular work sets, I would not worry too much about it. When you get to a weight when it becomes an issue, reset and fix it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

cool never heard that quote from Ripp. makes sense. so since my attempts werent perfect form than that means it was close to my true one rep? i dont have those problems on work sets so must be. thanks guys, im also going to try those cossack squats as a supplement next squat day.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

There are other factors that go into where your true 1rm is too other than just form breakdown...mentality (scared of weight?), technique/skill level, equipment (shoes...)
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"so since my attempts werent perfect form than that means it was close to my true one rep?"

My understanding of the CFT, which is pretty good, is that you are trying to max on the 3 lifts. Hence, I read 265 to be your "true" 1RM. A 1RM does not have perfect form, it has acceptable form, or "anyway I can move the farking barbell" form.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

right on i have to improve a lot then. heh. Aushion, maybe i was afraid of squatting? I pulled 350 on dl, thats 90# higher... eh ill just stick to my 531 hybrid program and retry at the end of the semester
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Baumgartner View Post
right on i have to improve a lot then. heh. Aushion, maybe i was afraid of squatting? I pulled 350 on dl, thats 90# higher... eh ill just stick to my 531 hybrid program and retry at the end of the semester
Wait, your waiting a whole semester to do a 1 rep max? Like school semester? IMO, not doing 1 rep max's for long periods of time isnt conducive to training. You cant really gauge where ur at. I used to NEVER attempt a 1rm on bench, in part because I was scared of it. My bench stayed stagnant for a long time, until I grew some balls.