CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Joshua Desmond
Member Joshua Desmond is offline
 
Joshua Desmond's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bristow  VA
Posts: 88
Need help with HSPU's

Ok, so I got my rings yesterday and also finished building my parallettes. First the good news is that on my first attempt on the rings I hammered out a muscle up...thats the good news. Now the bad news is that on the parallettes, I am having trouble knocking out a few HSPU's. I can get a few out when my hands are planted on the ground, but am having trouble with them on the parallettes. Are there any suggestions, techniques, or things I should be doing to get better at them, outside of practicing the move.
__________________
6'-0"/231 lbs @ BS - 485; DL - 525; Press - 215; BP - 340
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Are you saying you can't do a Full ROM Handstand Push Up yet? If so you can work on graduating towards the full ROM by incrementally raising your hands on books or weight plates, etc...as your strength increases you'll be able to press from further and further in the hole.
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Joshua Desmond
Member Joshua Desmond is offline
 
Joshua Desmond's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bristow  VA
Posts: 88
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Are you saying you can't do a Full ROM Handstand Push Up yet? If so you can work on graduating towards the full ROM by incrementally raising your hands on books or weight plates, etc...as your strength increases you'll be able to press from further and further in the hole.
Thanks. I did not realize that there would be such a marked difference going from head to ground while hands are on the ground to using the parallettes.
__________________
6'-0"/231 lbs @ BS - 485; DL - 525; Press - 215; BP - 340
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Oh yeah, the difference is HUGE...it's strength gaining, be patient with it, treat it like a lift...3x5, 5x5, etc...
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Ian Nigh
Affiliate Ian Nigh is offline
 
Ian Nigh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kensington  MD
Posts: 948
Re: Need help with HSPU's

double post

Last edited by Ian Nigh : 08-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Ian Nigh
Affiliate Ian Nigh is offline
 
Ian Nigh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kensington  MD
Posts: 948
Re: Need help with HSPU's

I have found using bands to assist my parallete HSPU very useful. You need two bands and an overhead attachment point. One band offers assistance, the second band is used as a harness (arms through, around the back).

Hard to explain, but there is a video if this around here somewhere. This allows you to work the ROM and develop strength gradually working towards a free standing, full ROM HSPU on paralletes!

Another good tip is to try doing them facing a wall, as opposed to kicking up with your back to the wall. This will engage your core alot more and build serious stability.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Grease the groove
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Sean Lind
Member Sean Lind is offline
 
Sean Lind's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal  QC Canada
Posts: 158
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Desmond View Post
Ok, so I got my rings yesterday and also finished building my parallettes. First the good news is that on my first attempt on the rings I hammered out a muscle up...thats the good news. Now the bad news is that on the parallettes, I am having trouble knocking out a few HSPU's. I can get a few out when my hands are planted on the ground, but am having trouble with them on the parallettes. Are there any suggestions, techniques, or things I should be doing to get better at them, outside of practicing the move.

Definitely practice proper technique for HSPU, meaning your head doesn't touch the ground between your hands but it touches the ground in front of your hands. By example the top of your head and hands make a triangle.

From here Next progress to a slightly lower depth. Use a pair of 10lb bumper plates. That extra inch will increase the ROM and difficulty. From there, use a set of 25lb bumper plates. . . to 45lb bumper plates.

If you just have parallettes. then add something underneath to slowly increase the depth. Like a book. Also the distance between the parallettes should be the same length from the top of your finger to your elbow. Any wider and it will take away proper ROM.

Personally I use a rule of 10. If I can complete something 10 times in a row perfectly ( or as close as possible to perfect) then I will move to the next progression.


Secondly if your core isn't tight and you have a bad arch in Handstand, it will effect your strength as well. It just means when you push, you are actually pushing into your lumbar curve and not moving your body up.
__________________
Build technique before you build the weight
http://www.crossfitgymnastics.com/

Last edited by Sean Lind : 08-26-2010 at 03:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Joshua Desmond
Member Joshua Desmond is offline
 
Joshua Desmond's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bristow  VA
Posts: 88
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lind View Post
Definitely practice proper technique for HSPU, meaning your head doesn't touch the ground between your hands but it touches the ground in front of your hands. By example the top of your head and hands make a triangle.

From here Next progress to a slightly lower depth. Use a pair of 10lb bumper plates. That extra inch will increase the ROM and difficulty. From there, use a set of 25lb bumper plates. . . to 45lb bumper plates.

If you just have parallettes. then add something underneath to slowly increase the depth. Like a book. Also the distance between the parallettes should be the same length from the top of your finger to your elbow. Any wider and it will take away proper ROM.

Personally I use a rule of 10. If I can complete something 10 times in a row perfectly ( or as close as possible to perfect) then I will move to the next progression.


Secondly if your core isn't tight and you have a bad arch in Handstand, it will effect your strength as well. It just means when you push, you are actually pushing into your lumbar curve and not moving your body up.
Thanks. I'll have to take all this into consideration. Looks like the parallettes might be put to the side for a little bit.
__________________
6'-0"/231 lbs @ BS - 485; DL - 525; Press - 215; BP - 340
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
I have found using bands to assist my parallete HSPU very useful. You need two bands and an overhead attachment point. One band offers assistance, the second band is used as a harness (arms through, around the back).

Hard to explain, but there is a video if this around here somewhere. This allows you to work the ROM and develop strength gradually working towards a free standing, full ROM HSPU on paralletes!

Another good tip is to try doing them facing a wall, as opposed to kicking up with your back to the wall. This will engage your core alot more and build serious stability.
Ditto on using the bands as a harness on parallettes. Tucker has some gymnastics vids on this somewhere.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do hspu's help w/ oly lifts? Gina Johnson Exercises 11 04-18-2008 07:57 AM
HSPU's and head pressure Douglas Braun Exercises 7 04-29-2007 09:09 PM
Wall surface for HSPU's Chris Kemp Equipment 5 12-08-2006 03:51 PM
Alternative to HSPU's Aaron Graham Exercises 7 06-22-2006 09:38 AM
Those Damn HSPU's!!! Roy Exercises 6 12-11-2003 09:40 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.