CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Joshua Desmond

Profile:
Need help with HSPU's

Ok, so I got my rings yesterday and also finished building my parallettes. First the good news is that on my first attempt on the rings I hammered out a muscle up...thats the good news. Now the bad news is that on the parallettes, I am having trouble knocking out a few HSPU's. I can get a few out when my hands are planted on the ground, but am having trouble with them on the parallettes. Are there any suggestions, techniques, or things I should be doing to get better at them, outside of practicing the move.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Need help with HSPU's

Are you saying you can't do a Full ROM Handstand Push Up yet? If so you can work on graduating towards the full ROM by incrementally raising your hands on books or weight plates, etc...as your strength increases you'll be able to press from further and further in the hole.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Joshua Desmond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Are you saying you can't do a Full ROM Handstand Push Up yet? If so you can work on graduating towards the full ROM by incrementally raising your hands on books or weight plates, etc...as your strength increases you'll be able to press from further and further in the hole.
Thanks. I did not realize that there would be such a marked difference going from head to ground while hands are on the ground to using the parallettes.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Oh yeah, the difference is HUGE...it's strength gaining, be patient with it, treat it like a lift...3x5, 5x5, etc...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Ian Nigh

Profile:

double post

Last edited by Ian Nigh : 08-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Ian Nigh

Profile:

I have found using bands to assist my parallete HSPU very useful. You need two bands and an overhead attachment point. One band offers assistance, the second band is used as a harness (arms through, around the back).

Hard to explain, but there is a video if this around here somewhere. This allows you to work the ROM and develop strength gradually working towards a free standing, full ROM HSPU on paralletes!

Another good tip is to try doing them facing a wall, as opposed to kicking up with your back to the wall. This will engage your core alot more and build serious stability.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Grease the groove
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Sean Lind

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Desmond View Post
Ok, so I got my rings yesterday and also finished building my parallettes. First the good news is that on my first attempt on the rings I hammered out a muscle up...thats the good news. Now the bad news is that on the parallettes, I am having trouble knocking out a few HSPU's. I can get a few out when my hands are planted on the ground, but am having trouble with them on the parallettes. Are there any suggestions, techniques, or things I should be doing to get better at them, outside of practicing the move.

Definitely practice proper technique for HSPU, meaning your head doesn't touch the ground between your hands but it touches the ground in front of your hands. By example the top of your head and hands make a triangle.

From here Next progress to a slightly lower depth. Use a pair of 10lb bumper plates. That extra inch will increase the ROM and difficulty. From there, use a set of 25lb bumper plates. . . to 45lb bumper plates.

If you just have parallettes. then add something underneath to slowly increase the depth. Like a book. Also the distance between the parallettes should be the same length from the top of your finger to your elbow. Any wider and it will take away proper ROM.

Personally I use a rule of 10. If I can complete something 10 times in a row perfectly ( or as close as possible to perfect) then I will move to the next progression.

Secondly if your core isn't tight and you have a bad arch in Handstand, it will effect your strength as well. It just means when you push, you are actually pushing into your lumbar curve and not moving your body up.

Last edited by Sean Lind : 08-26-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Joshua Desmond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lind View Post
Definitely practice proper technique for HSPU, meaning your head doesn't touch the ground between your hands but it touches the ground in front of your hands. By example the top of your head and hands make a triangle.

From here Next progress to a slightly lower depth. Use a pair of 10lb bumper plates. That extra inch will increase the ROM and difficulty. From there, use a set of 25lb bumper plates. . . to 45lb bumper plates.

If you just have parallettes. then add something underneath to slowly increase the depth. Like a book. Also the distance between the parallettes should be the same length from the top of your finger to your elbow. Any wider and it will take away proper ROM.

Personally I use a rule of 10. If I can complete something 10 times in a row perfectly ( or as close as possible to perfect) then I will move to the next progression.

Secondly if your core isn't tight and you have a bad arch in Handstand, it will effect your strength as well. It just means when you push, you are actually pushing into your lumbar curve and not moving your body up.
Thanks. I'll have to take all this into consideration. Looks like the parallettes might be put to the side for a little bit.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
I have found using bands to assist my parallete HSPU very useful. You need two bands and an overhead attachment point. One band offers assistance, the second band is used as a harness (arms through, around the back).

Hard to explain, but there is a video if this around here somewhere. This allows you to work the ROM and develop strength gradually working towards a free standing, full ROM HSPU on paralletes!

Another good tip is to try doing them facing a wall, as opposed to kicking up with your back to the wall. This will engage your core alot more and build serious stability.
Ditto on using the bands as a harness on parallettes. Tucker has some gymnastics vids on this somewhere.