CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:
squat form

If air squat keeping knees from going in front of toes in good form feels like I'm going to fall backward, do I need to keep doing air squats until this goes away or should I try some front squats? I'm thinking that a front squat would shift center of gravity forward.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Anthony Giurato

Profile:
Re: squat form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
If air squat keeping knees from going in front of toes in good form feels like I'm going to fall backward, do I need to keep doing air squats until this goes away or should I try some front squats? I'm thinking that a front squat would shift center of gravity forward.
Knees can go in front of the toes. It's a common gym myth that they aren't supposed to, but they can. It depends on the type of squat you are doing and your body's measurements if they do and how much.

I don't know if it's recommended that you perfect air squatting before adding a barbell, but you should work on it. The Journal (WFS) has a great video on air squats.

If you have knee problems, then that's a different story and well beyond what I know. Others may have more info for you in that case.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Brandon Heitkamp

Profile:

buy starting strength by mark rippetoe and lon kilgore

60 pages about the squat.

BEST MONEY SPENT EVER

second best would be bumpers and a squat rack
Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Rob St. Croix

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
The air squat is a closer kin to the front squat than the back squat. Ultimately what you are trying to do with any squat or standing lift is to keep the bar over the center of you foot (about where your shoe-lace knot is). As long as you can keep the bar over the center of you foot durring the entire lift, your knees will be where they need to be from front to back. That being said, in a squat your knees should always be directly in line with your toes through the entire lift.

Oh, and I second Brandon's comments. SS is money well spent.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob St. Croix View Post
That being said, in a squat your knees should always be directly in line with your toes through the entire lift.
To the OP:
As in, your knees should point in the same direction that your feet are pointing. It's common when squatting a lot of weight (relative to your strength) for your knees to want to point in. That is bad. Make sure that when you are squatting, whether front, back, overhead, or air, that your knees aren't pointing inwards. It may take training and conscious thought to push your knees out.