CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #31
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: What's a Decent Benchmark for Women's Dead Lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Tamara, you *are* advanced... multiple years training experience, definite goals... that describes you. Congratulations! You might not FEEL advanced if you're hanging out with a bunch of other people who are as strong or even stronger, but that doesn't mean you're not. The worst player in the NBA might seem like a total failure in his sport, but the reality is he is probably better than every single person he played with in high school, and the vast majority in college. he's an "advanced" player.
Yeah, but this is the part of the reason I disagree with the chart.

I'm not advanced. I've been CrossFitting for less than 15 months and doing dedicated strength training for less than 3 months. Prior to CrossFit, I'd never touched a barbell. I'm intermediate at best in terms of length of training and novice in terms of not having come to the end of linear progression.

I'm one of the strongest girls at my affiliate in every lift, which yay, fab. My numbers are a joke compared to powerlifters and Oly lifters in my weight class, but I don't particularly care about that. What I do care about is this:

http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...es/2010/women/ (WFS)

If this is "advanced" or "elite" in CF, then those are the numbers I should worry about given my goals. And, if I look at this chart, my deadlift needs a huge amount of work, my squat needs almost as much work, my snatch isn't horrendous, and my clean and jerk is decent.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #32
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Yeah, but this is the part of the reason I disagree with the chart.

I'm not advanced. I've been CrossFitting for less than 15 months and doing dedicated strength training for less than 3 months. Prior to CrossFit, I'd never touched a barbell. I'm intermediate at best in terms of length of training and novice in terms of not having come to the end of linear progression.

I'm one of the strongest girls at my affiliate in every lift, which yay, fab. My numbers are a joke compared to powerlifters and Oly lifters in my weight class, but I don't particularly care about that. What I do care about is this:

http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...es/2010/women/ (WFS)

If this is "advanced" or "elite" in CF, then those are the numbers I should worry about given my goals. And, if I look at this chart, my deadlift needs a huge amount of work, my squat needs almost as much work, my snatch isn't horrendous, and my clean and jerk is decent.
Ok... you'd never picked up a barbell, but what athletic ventures DID you do? Surely you haven't gone from total couch-potato slob to today in 15 months?

And those scores surely are "elite" with respect to CF. That's the top of the top from around the world. The whole thing about "advanced" and "elite" is that they're WILDLY different levels of ability, and I think people forget that.

The "advanced" person is probably a "big fish in a small pond" which is what you describe. You're either the best or one of the best where you're at, but if you go hang out with the true experts you look retarded. I can relate... I've been there (in skydiving, not in fitness). It's a tough place to be.

but it still doesn't mean you're not advanced
Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #33
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Ok... you'd never picked up a barbell, but what athletic ventures DID you do? Surely you haven't gone from total couch-potato slob to today in 15 months?
Are you like the only person on the entire internet who hasn't seen my before and "after" pics?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #34
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Are you like the only person on the entire internet who hasn't seen my before and "after" pics?
Nope. I haven't seen them.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #35
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
Nope. I haven't seen them.
Worth checking out. Tamara is good inspiration for what you can do if you put your mind to it. And as Jay Ashman said if you have the metabolism of a meth addict. Man that woman can eat!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #36
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
The "advanced" person is probably a "big fish in a small pond" which is what you describe. You're either the best or one of the best where you're at, but if you go hang out with the true experts you look retarded. I can relate... I've been there (in skydiving, not in fitness). It's a tough place to be.

but it still doesn't mean you're not advanced
Fine, by YOUR definition, I'll give myself "advanced" status, except:
1. I never look retarded no matter who I'm hanging out with.
2. It's not a particularly tough place to be considering that by MY definition, I'm still a novice/intermediate, and I'm still making ridiculous gains. Therefore, I see no reason why I won't be competing as an advanced or elite athlete by the time Sectionals roll around again.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #37
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Fine, by YOUR definition, I'll give myself "advanced" status, except:
1. I never look retarded no matter who I'm hanging out with.
2. It's not a particularly tough place to be considering that by MY definition, I'm still a novice/intermediate, and I'm still making ridiculous gains. Therefore, I see no reason why I won't be competing as an advanced or elite athlete by the time Sectionals roll around again.
I guess I was in fact the only person on the internet who hadn't seen those photos. I went and looked them up. Very impressive!

given the changes you've already made and the dedication you've demonstrated and continue to demonstrate, I also see no reason why you won't be competitive by next years sectionals. that competitive type A personality trait sure as hell can take people places, eh?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #38
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
I guess I was in fact the only person on the internet who hadn't seen those photos. I went and looked them up. Very impressive!

given the changes you've already made and the dedication you've demonstrated and continue to demonstrate, I also see no reason why you won't be competitive by next years sectionals. that competitive type A personality trait sure as hell can take people places, eh?
Haha, thanks. My point wasn't even the photos (because my abs are by accident or by genetics or whatever...yes, I work my @ss off and eat well, but so do lots of people). My point was that yes, I was an entirely lazy "couch-pototo slob" 15 months ago . Thus, I am hesitant to deem anything I do in CrossFit "advanced."

"Competitive type A personality trait," huh? I'm going to go with that. It sounds so much nicer than how some other people choose to phrase it.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #39
Darla Powell

Profile:

Ok first, link to the aforementioned slob to goddess transformation.

Second, do deadlifts help pullups? I could swear my dead hangs were easier today?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #40
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
Ok first, link to the aforementioned slob to goddess transformation.

Second, do deadlifts help pullups? I could swear my dead hangs were easier today?
I suppose this is better than you googling me, since that often doesn't turn out well: http://paleochix.com/?p=1957 (WFS)

Deadlifts help everything.