CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #21
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Bar Hurts Back/Shoulders When Squatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"I still put the sissy-pad on the bar when I do heavy squats"

Stop that. Tighten up and place the bar correctly.
However if you attempt the Inman mile, I highly recommend a "sissy pad"...
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Mannella View Post
I still put the sissy-pad on the bar when I do heavy squats. I am squatting 1RM 330# and it won't hurt after that. However when doing a 3x5 or a 5x5 it will be sore the next day for sure.
I'm with Jamie. Your bar placement is probably a little off. Find pictures of what bar placements look like, or take a pic of you standing with a loaded bar.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #23
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

The padding will only cause worse bar placement.
Bigger muscles won't make it hurt less if you don't flex
Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #24
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

There's going to be discomfort no matter what. You're loading up weight and its resting on your back, on a bar thats bout 2inches wide, so the weight is on you at a small concentrated spot. With practice you get the positionning right, and you built up tougher skin/tissue plus with your scapula/shoulders pulled back it SHOULD make a nice pad for the bar.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #25
Jeremy Lamplough

Profile:

Make sure you can get your shoulder in the right spot. I had some pain on one side and finally got some manipulation done on it. There was some impingement which meant I couldn't get it into quite the correct position and it put a lot of pressure on it. Once this was fixed it helped alot. For me it was all about getting my wrists straight.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #26
Dane Thomas

Profile:

Pressure is measured as force/area. With suboptimal positioning and hand placement and no attention to flexing prior to accepting the weight I would consistently get crush bruising on my shoulders at anything over 150 pounds because the bar was supported on a relatively small area.

Correcting my positioning, dialing hand placement and flexing the upper back prior to accepting the load has eliminated the problem and reduced the discomfort dramatically even though the loads have gone up fairly dramatically.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #27
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davidson View Post
I've found that my dead lifts have built my traps big enough to withstand the weight of doing squats. Right now i feel that I'm more limited in my leg strength than the discomfort of the bar on my back when it comes to maxing squats. So maybe it's the placement of your hands I place my hands about a thumbs width away from the end of the curling of the bar at the middle.
This.

When I started squatting I had scrawny shoulders and squatting hurt. Now I have less scrawny shoulders (though I've only added 10 lbs to be honest) and squatting hurts a lot less.

I think this is truly a case of "suck it up, you'll get used to it." Skin will get tougher, muscles will get bigger and provide a better shelf, and your pain receptors will stop yelling so loudly as they are subjected to the same thing over and over. Occasionally on a really heavy squat I'll still think to myself that it's really hurting my shoulders, but as soon as I drop down for the first rep I'm so busy concentrating on lifting the bar and maintaining form that all thoughts of pain go out the window... kind of like how in a life-threatening situation you could break your arm with only a vague awareness of a "pop," and it's only later, after you're safe, that you realize "holy crap, my arm hurts!"
Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #28
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

I'm not going to link the pages again, but people, you don't have to have a lot of muscle in order to rack the bar without pain! I've coached many, many scrawny kids to squat and unless they had some pre-existing abnormality or condition of some sort, they could all, with practice learn to place a loaded barbell on their backs without pain of any sort.

Don't just squat and hope the pain will go away. LEARN HOW TO RACK THE BAR CORRECTLY.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #29
Chris Mason

Profile:

Hmmm, first, I squat with a pretty decent amount of weight and have NO pain when doing so. You have to squat a few times without padding etc. and your body will acclimate to it unless you are doing something really wrong.

All of the other stuff here is more or less fluff.

Oh, and big muscles DO make a difference, trust me.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #30
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Fluff? Whatever.

Chris, I never said big muscles don't make a difference - simply that I had coached many very skinny kids to squat with heavy weights without pain. Of course being bigger helps.