CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Rob St. Croix

Profile:
Re: Bar Hurts Back/Shoulders When Squatting

google scapula.

As you look at the picture you'll see a ridge that run sort of parallel to the floor. Various shoulder muscles attach there. If you use your hand and feel your back you can find it easily. The bar should sit right above that as it acts kind of like a shelf. That is the low back squat position. It will provide for a larger area for the weight to be spread loaded across, among other things. For further detail about the others reasons that position works well, read "Starting Strength" by Kilgore and Rippitoe.

There other good texts and videos out there as well, but starting strength does a very good job of explaining it "Barney Style" while at the same time providing a pretty technical/ anatomical explanation for those who like that as well.

Last edited by Rob St. Croix : 08-16-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I'm playing with some "Inman Mile" training right now... IT HURTS! But, one of the cool side effects is that it puts perspective on any discomfort felt during squatting and I truly believe this is exposing me to pain thresholds I've rarely felt before.

To start go very light on just a 400m walk...if you are squatting 185#...maybe try 95# - 400m for 3 rounds, rest 2 mins in between....up the weight and or distance from there...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I'm playing with some "Inman Mile" training right now... IT HURTS! But, one of the cool side effects is that it puts perspective on any discomfort felt during squatting and I truly believe this is exposing me to pain thresholds I've rarely felt before.

To start go very light on just a 400m walk...if you are squatting 185#...maybe try 95# - 400m for 3 rounds, rest 2 mins in between....up the weight and or distance from there...
Is this building strength or muscular endurance, or cardiovascular endurance? And if strength, where the most?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Shane right now since I am a novice it is definitely muscular endurance and at this point it's mainly in my shoulders and lats believe it or not...It's an odd feeling to use your hands when they are receiving little blood-flow...

I definitely think moving with a weight on your back is very primal and I read on an old msg board thread a statement I agree with: That it is something overlooked in most people's strength training (some people at lest do farmer's walks, which are also under-utilized IMO)...So in that vein I thought it was something I should do...how often do you clean a weight, just to pick it up...you should be able to move with that weight for at least some distance...

Other than that I'm much to early in my progression to build strength. I'm doing a quasi-linear progression so I started super light (well I initially thought it was light) at 50kg...I'm still working on how I want to fit this in with everything else..at the moment I am doing:

Monday - heavy Inman for 400m x2 laps 3 minutes rest First Monday I used 60kg, yesterday I used 70kg (OUCH!)

Wednesday - Ruck Run...(basically load up a pack with minimal weight and go for a 3-5k...maybe 30-45 lbs)

Friday - light Inman for 400m x4 last Friday I used 50kg...I will shoot for 55kg this Friday

This is all after any other training....I haven't attempted any heavy barbell stuff since I started, but we'll see if I can work that in... definitely doable at the moment as only my upper back is really taxed after doing this....
Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
James Davidson

Profile:

I've found that my dead lifts have built my traps big enough to withstand the weight of doing squats. Right now i feel that I'm more limited in my leg strength than the discomfort of the bar on my back when it comes to maxing squats. So maybe it's the placement of your hands I place my hands about a thumbs width away from the end of the curling of the bar at the middle.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

You need to flex before you pick the weight off the rack. You will naturally flex your back if you pick your elbows up on a heavy weight. But if you are relaxed then pick up the bar, you will flex, but it will not be nearly as effective. When I do it right, I enjoy the weight on my back, it just feels like a solid grasp. When I do it wrong, the set sucks just a little more.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Take a look at the following post and video - I think there are some pics and tips that may help you (wfs).
Wrist Pain When Squatting: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/01/...squatting.html
Squat Rx #4 (Bar Positioning & Depth): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1HzoH0Rw
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Dane Peagler

Profile:

I'm with James on this post. I used to hate doing squats just because of how it hurt my shoulders, however as I started deadlifting (and secretly, shoulder shrugs, don't tell anyone ) my traps got bigger and the pain became manageable.

But definitely make sure you have the right form, before you get caught up with anything else.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
Vince Mannella

Profile:

I still put the sissy-pad on the bar when I do heavy squats. I am squatting 1RM 330# and it won't hurt after that. However when doing a 3x5 or a 5x5 it will be sore the next day for sure.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I still put the sissy-pad on the bar when I do heavy squats"

Stop that. Tighten up and place the bar correctly.