CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Diego Lopez

Profile:
When to stop increasing weight on squats, deadlifts, bench, etc?

Looking for some advice on when I should stop adding weight to my barbell lifts based on my goals, bodyweight & type. A little info on me:

Age 36
Weight 150-155
Height 5’8”

Goals: As Robb Wolf says “to look good naked!”
I’m not looking to get super big or super strong. I just want to have a good base strength to help me stay fit and have it help my crossfit workouts. Don't really care about being the biggest and best at my gym or having the best times on anything. I just enjoy crossfitting and like being in shape. The simpler I can keep my workouts and the less time I have to think about my programming the better. I have a family and a ton of other hobbies so don't want to be consumed with constantly researching what the "latest and greatest" routine is.

Been eating not so strict Paleo (unmeasured) for about 6 months (dairy, some rice, café con leche….mmmm) but have recently switched to very strict Paleo with maybe 1 cheat meal a week. Still dropping weight so I’m not sure where I will end up. I’m guessing around 150 as I never seem to put on a lot of muscle, despite eating about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (bird legs run in the family).

I crossfit Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. Squat 2x a week, Deadlift/Press/Bench once a week and I’ll add some sort of clean or front squats once a week as well. Also indoor rock climb for about 2 hours 1-2 times a week. Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays are my off days.
Oh I do 3x5 or 5x5 on my lifts depending on what my energy level is and what the WOD for that day is.

So, any suggestions? I’ve always heard 2x bodyweight for Squats, 2.5x for Deads, 1.5x for bench. Are those good goals and is that for a 1 rep max or for reps?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: When to stop increasing weight on squats, deadlifts, bench, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Lopez View Post
Looking for some advice on when I should stop adding weight to my barbell lifts based on my goals, bodyweight & type. A little info on me:
When you can't any more.

Which will depend on how much you eat, how much strength-specific training you do, and your genetic potential.

Since you don't have strength-oriented goals, I don't see a reason to go with heavily strength-biased programming once your current progress stalls. But I don't see why you would want to stop adding weight as long as you're physically able to do so.

Katherine
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You should simply give up trying to increase strength once you hit 2xbw BS, 2.5bw DL, and 1xbw SP. Anymore strength than that is not functional. It will only make you more "bulky" which will interfere with "looking good naked" and your ability to do bw pullups, MU's, and pushups. Once you hit those limits, start working on chesticles and bicep peak. imo
Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Diego Lopez

Profile:

So basically just listen to my body. Makes sense.
I remember after doing SS last year the constant squatting got to me. Knees were hurting and recovery was taking way too long. Never got to squat as heavy as I wanted (about 3x5 @300) but I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Diego Lopez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
You should simply give up trying to increase strength once you hit 2xbw BS, 2.5bw DL, and 1xbw SP. Anymore strength than that is not functional. It will only make you more "bulky" which will interfere with "looking good naked" and your ability to do bw pullups, MU's, and pushups. Once you hit those limits, start working on chesticles and bicep peak. imo
Brian, is that for 1 rep max or for reps? Like a 3x5?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

1 rep max.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
When you can't any more.

Which will depend on how much you eat, how much strength-specific training you do, and your genetic potential.

Since you don't have strength-oriented goals, I don't see a reason to go with heavily strength-biased programming once your current progress stalls. But I don't see why you would want to stop adding weight as long as you're physically able to do so.

Katherine
I haven't been here in ages, but it hasn't changed, whenever I read one of Katherine's responses, I always agree.

Quote:
...Anymore strength than that is not functional. It will only make you more "bulky" which will interfere with "looking good naked" and your ability to do bw pullups, MU's, and pushups...
Anymore strength is functional if you're an olifter. Training in the 1-3 rep range will not make you "bulky". Bulky is as much a function of how much you eat as it is how you train.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
Daniel Lyell

Profile:

Quote:
Lol am I the only one who caught the sarcasm here?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Yeah, I caught it as well
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

LOL, obviously I didn't....I think I need more bacon...