CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
Jared Pietras

Profile:
Jump Rope Help

Hey CF, I've been doing CF for 3 years now but I don't think I've managed to post anything here yet! Anyway I've searched for suggestions, but I can't find any. I just bought a new jump rope for double unders because my gym didn't have any. While doing double unders yesterday it snapped. Got a replacement today and it snapped too! It's not that it's cheap either. I can tell what is causing it though. The rope itself is getting twisted and eventually snapping. I don't have a problem doing double unders, but I need a solid rope that will not break or twist up. Does anyway have any suggestions? Price is not really an issue as long as it's good. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Victor Putz

Profile:
Re: Jump Rope Help

I went through a cheapie speed rope (snapped) and was a sucker for a Buddy Lee (handles cracked around the rope attachments).

I could always just get another cheap speed rope, but I'd rather get something that lasted. So I got duvide's cheapest rope, the ds; it's $33 and built like the tank of jumpropes; the handles are solid, the bearings are smooth with no give or flex, and the "rope" has some mass. It's not as fast as a speed rope, but it's fast enough for me to do good quick skipping, double-unders, and a few tricks.

If I was doing it again I miiight consider their dsV for about $10 more, a little faster. But the ds is a great rope. It IS much heavier than a cheap speed rope (and my upper body gets tired faster) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I love it and it's been pretty darn durable.

http://duvide.com (WFS)

(and if I thought the 360g ds felt heavy, the dg can have handles and hose filled with lead weights for an alarming 1400g; a three-pound skipping rope is probably not what you need, but it sounds interesting...)

You may also see recommendations for a fast cheap cable rope elsewhere which probably will do the job too for much less. I like the solidity of the duvide, but it's on the spendy side for a rope.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #3
Ray Ambury

Profile:

Try this article for size:
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/jumprope2.htm

Just grab a cheap vinyl speed rope, grab some electrical tape and away you go.

I've got a heavy duty rope that I think is pretty much indestructable but even this I've managed to have the cable come whiiping out of the handle while in the gym as the force created by spinning such a heavy rope managed to pull the cable out of the clips that held it in. I then borrowed a gym rope to finish my workout and got to remember how much faster you go with a speed rope.

Personally my next purchase will be a few cheap speed ropes which I'll protect with tape and then I'll consider the ultra speed cable rope or cable freestyle rope and see about getting my triple unders on.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Andy Kauth

Profile:

I broke 3 ropes in 1 day a few months ago (2 were "Buddy Lee" and one was a cheap rope from WalMart). Since then, we switched over to PowerMax jump ropes (they come in 9' and 10' lengths and you can get 'em in leather or a steel cable encased in plastic). Rogue sells 'em the cheapest (though you have to pay shipping--$8) @ $11.50 for a 9' rope ... Gill sells 'em for $12.50 (shipping is $7.64).

You will not break the steel cable rope.

Downsides include steel hurts if you miss (which is actually an upside since you are forced to get better), and they tend to twist up if not stored properly (they twist out pretty easily once you get it moving but make sure you store 'em hanging--over a pull-up bar or something).
Old 07-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

I've tried almost every rope out there, and eventually settled on the cable speed rope. At $10, it is the sturdiest, fastest, best double under rope IMO.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
Graham Carless

Profile:

One problem is the ground surface. The car parks with tarmac with large holes in it (still smooth but still rough, not like flat smooth fine tarmac) has ruined our ropes, they would snap within 2-3 jumps!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Luke Hitt

Profile:

I bought the $13 one from Buddy Lee, then the $40 one. They both suck.

Ultra speed cable rope from again faster. $13.95. Super durable, and WAY better for DU's.
I could never link together more than 1 or 2 doubles before I had to do a single with these other ropes. I consistently get 40-50 straight DU's with this rope.

WFS

http://www.againfaster.com/jump-ropes/