CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #91
Robert Newman

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by William A Cantrell View Post
Veganism itself isnt Paleo...I wouldnt contridict anyones religious beliefs (Hindu's, idk any other but im sure thier are some), but if it isnt the path toward eternal salvation or something than not eating meat is crazy! Our ancestors did not think it was mean to kill what they needed to survive. After all they more than likely learned from observing nature. Tiger gets hungry...Tiger rips apart whatever it can catch, kill, and eat. Man gets hungry...does the same thing...man gets hungry again, gets smarter uses weapons, traps, works in packs, whatever works for the desired effect of getting some food. So IMO saying your a Vegan Paleo is to me, like saying I eat meat...but im vegan.
Your logic justifies eating any and all food under paleo because it's available. Man was obviously capable of cooking, so that now includes beans, tubers, corn, grain, etc. which many people here accept as bad for health. You can feed a cow meat and corn and it will live, but not thrive. The problem is we are not in our original food setting. If you want to make an argument about nature, look at what humans are equipped with- hands for grabbing, teeth for chewing, long intestines, etc. We have no equipment built in for hunting or killing animals regularly. How many tigers cook their meat before eating it? How many have to adjust their carbs? Hell, how many animals eat a balance of meat and vegetation 30/30/40%?

You can't rationalize paleo as a 'natural' diet in any sense that we are animals. Humans figured out how to prepare food they obviously could not ingest otherwise to expand the area humans could survive.

Consider a diet made of 95% meat- not going to feel too great. Try a diet of 95% raw and see how you feel after a month.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #92
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
We have no equipment built in for hunting or killing animals regularly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wI-9RJi0Qo WFS!

Oops! Your ignorance is showing.

We are actually perfectly suited for hunting and/or killing animals regularly. (That's why we sweat, run upright, etc...)
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #93
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"If you want to make an argument about nature, look at what humans are equipped with- hands for grabbing, teeth for chewing, long intestines, etc. We have no equipment built in for hunting or killing animals regularly."

Are you kidding? We are apex hunters in every single environment know. There isn't a single animal we can't kill.

As far as cooking, we have been cooking for a very long time and our intenstines have adjusted to it. Animals don't cook their food becuase they don't have to, they don't have to because they can't cook. Once you start cooking, your intenstines don't have to be as good as digesting food because the heat some of the work for you.

"Try a diet of 95% raw and see how you feel after a month. "

I can't afford that much sashimi or steak tartar.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #94
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

The other day I was watching something (can't remember what) which showed a venus fly trap. A plant which actually consumes meat. The video pointed out that if that plant was big enough and you fell into it, it would eat you.

That's how I feel about veganism.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #95
Paul Siegel

Profile:

Keith points out in "The Vegetarian Myth" that plants would "eat" you if they could.

I say get the leafy green bastards before they get you!

To the O.P. : I apologize, I have nothing useful for you. Good luck with your veganism! Let us know how it goes. Who knows, it might work really well for you?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #96
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw
Protein deficiency only becomes an issue if your calorie intake is inadequate
Can you explain more behind this ?
The body's requirement for energy always takes priority so protein will be used as fuel if your calorie intake is insufficient to maintain energy balance.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #97
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Paleo man did eat legumes.
Yes, just very sparingly. Which is why they are excluded from the paleo diet.
The tsin bean is the second most important food in the diet of the !Kung San (link) so there's no reason to believe that legumes weren't equally important to and consumed in similar amounts by paleo man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw
As I already explained here (wfs) almost everything you eat contains protein and it all contributes to your daily protein requirement. Protein deficiency only becomes an issue if your calorie intake is inadequate or if you're dependant on limited on a range of low protein foods such as manioc (cassava) roots as is common in some of the poorer parts of the world. In the west protein deficiency is simply a none issue providing your diet is reasonably varied and sufficient calories are consumed to meet energy needs.
The protein requirement for a well-muscled strength athlete differs greatly from the protein requirement for a non-active person who is simply interested in surviving. I already offered a personal anecdote that my training suffers tremendously if I do not obtain about 150g of protein per day, except when I'm doing strictly endurance training. I'm sure bodybuilders, powerlifters, rugby players, and other athletes can offer the same.

Protein deficiency may not be a problem on a vegan-paleo diet per se, but it's widely accepted that non-endurance-based athletes need significantly more protein than the average person in order to perform at their best.
The protein requirements of strength athletes are only slightly greater than that of the general population. It's actually endurance athletes who have the greatest requirement for protein.

Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 05-28-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #98
Marnee Dearman

Profile:

A "95%" meat diet will make ya feel bad, huh? Hrm then the traditional Inuit are magic because they flourish in the harshest environment in which humans can survive and on a more than 95% meat diet.

My own diet is pretty much 100% meat every single day. No joke. I also eat primarily raw meat, and have been doing this for well over a year. I feel very good and better than I ever did on an omnivorous diet. Despite hypothyroid I have enough energy to Crossfit, run, hike, do all kinda of physical stuff on top of working 14 hour days or more, many days a week. Despite hypothyrodism I am in very good health. I have no digestive problems, unlike when I was omnivorous. I don't suffer from debilitating hay fever, unlike when I was omnivorous. One should not make big claims about diets he has no experience with.

I am not alone here. There are at least two internet forums dedicated to the primarily carnivorous, if you don't believe me that it is entirely possible to be a 100% meat eater and feel very good, and actually see health problems resolve themselves and stay that way. Check out Dirty Carnivore or Raw Paleo Forum for more information.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #99
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wI-9RJi0Qo WFS!

Oops! Your ignorance is showing.

We are actually perfectly suited for hunting and/or killing animals regularly. (That's why we sweat, run upright, etc...)
Nice vid... I liked the ending and how there was an emphasis on appreciating the fact that the animal had to die in order for the hunter to live.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #100
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The tsin bean is the second most important food in the diet of the !Kung San (link) so there's no reason to believe that legumes weren't equally important to and consumed in similar amounts by paleo man.

The protein requirements of strength athletes are only slightly greater than that of the general population. It's actually endurance athletes who have the greatest requirement for protein.

Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass.

*All links wfs*
The DRI link in your signature would suggest otherwise- though I have to ask what it's all about? It gave me a high carb low protein low fat diet.