CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
I've seen people post about the Pose running technique and never really paid much attention because a) they never included links on exactly what it was, I had to buy some book or video to learn it, and b) I was running just fine, thank you very little. But now after mistakingly trying to up my mileage too fast I've developed a mild case of achilles tendinosis so as I sit here ****ed trying to recover, I found this article that talks about exactly what Pose is.
I am thinking of giving it a try.

(Message edited by schtool on November 14, 2005)
Old 11-15-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Good article, thanks!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:58 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
There was a little 10 minute news clip on POSE style running on 20/20 last week. I only just remembered. Nothing new or all that revealing to people who know about POSE but it just went through the benefits of running on your forefoot rather than heel-toe.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hey James,

When I went to train for my half marathon I looked up a bunch of running guru's (cause I never do anything without reading a bunch of books on the subject!). Pose running was one. Another good one is Chi running. Galloway's works are also good but he goes less into form then the other books. I also got to work directly with a long distance run coach. Ultimately, I settled into a running form that blended many of the concepts I studied but worked best for my own body. So, my point is to learn from the book but take what works and ignore the rest. Though, with running, I found that I had to try different things much longer to figure out what worked and didn't than I do with things like weightlifting or gymnastics where a shift in form can make the difference immediately.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
At first glance, it seems the easiest way to get that POSE-perfect stance is to run uphill. Check it out, just tilt your head a little when you look at figure 4.

Not to pick a fight, but isn't running a pretty natural motion? I mean, we did it all the time as kids and no one had to teach us how-to.

It strikes me that a lot of overuse injuries that "joggers" get would stem from atrophy of the muscles of the posterior chain and abdomen. Get most of your plodders doing GHR, reverse hypers and front squats and I'm tempted to say injury rates would go down.

I could see elite sprinters dissecting their sprint technique. On Charlie Francis's site there are 30+ page discussions on technique minutiae. But people who put down a mile or three a couple times a month? I don't see the need.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Running is a "natural" thing, but having proper running technique can make an enormous difference. Most people uninstructed will not run with optimal technique. Basic technique which will make a marked improvement in speed takes only a few minutes to learn. Perfecting this technque for optimal speed takes as long as you want to drill it.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
Karl Geissler

Profile:
The Pose running method (for actual) form is commericialization of sprint running mechanics that have been around for a long time. I am linking a free article by Vern Gambetta http://www.gillathletics.com/articles/MachDrills.pdf that also describes the Mach drills. I think there is plenty of free information on running mechanics so one does not have to buy the Pose method.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Some random musings on running

1. I think running is a fairly natural action that at some point a lot of people have had screwed up for them by either being told to run heel toe and or runnig in running shoes on hard surfaces.

2. If you watch little kids run barefoot on grass they tend to run on the balls of their feet and they don't run for much further than 200m. This fits in nicely with an evolutionary look at running because I can't imagine hunter gatherer man deciding to clip on some Nikes and jog 5km. He'd probably sprint 100m to spear something or run from an angry animal and then stop.

3. Adults take up running and in order to run 10km on concrete they have to wear shoes that are heavily cushioned under the heel. Disposing of your shoes pretty much forces you to run on your forefoot unless you LIKE having bruised heels.

Scientifically conclusive? Not even close but something to think about
Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
Ryan Norman

Profile:
I agree, Don. When I was sprinting competitively and hardly ever ran distance, I never had a problem with heel striking. a few years later, no serious sprinting, long distance needs because of the Army, and I am a heel striker. Yet another reason I am against anything over an 800m run more then a couple times a month!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:09 AM   #10
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Gordon Pirie's book is available free online at
http://www.gordonpirie.com/
He was a very early advocate of forefoot strike.
The book has an especially interesting section on injuries caused by heel strike running and how about 99% of the shoe designs these days are wrong.

After reading the Pose Method article, and Pirie, I agree that Pose is a commercial ripoff, overly complicating a natural process. Some of what Pose says is dead wrong, IMHO, especially the comment that arm action contributes nothing to forward momentum.

Run barefoot as much as possible, read the free stuff, and get shoes that allow/promote a forefoot strike.