CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Andrew Wefald

Profile:
Elk Hunting prep

Brand new to this forum so thank you for helping me out.

Most of my w/o are done either by myself or with a buddy, no crossfit gyms around here (Manhattan, KS). I'm male, 37, 225 lbs., 6'.

Last year I went elk hunting in CO and walked about 20-25 miles up and down the mountains over three days. It was extraordinarily difficult. I did workout a lot leading up to the hunt.

My question is: What do you see as a good w/o schedule leading up to something like that?

I've been doing scaled WOD sometimes along with strength lifting, some sprinting. A couple workouts that I've tried that are brutal, for me, that I think are helping are the filthy fifty (not scaled, takes me about 38 minutes to complete) and the following workout - 10 burpees, sprint 200 yd, 10 burpees, 25 pushups, spring 200 yd, 10 burpees 25 pushups, 30 squats, sprint 200 yd, 10 burpees, 25 pushups, 30 squats, 10 burpees, sprint 200 yd, rest 2-3 minutes, repeat.

I guess I'm wondering is that good? Is it enough? Should I be doing long slow walks with a weighted pack? Stairmaster?

The altitude problem - I can't do anything about. I'm in KS, the hunt is at altitude.

Appreciate any feedback.

Andy
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Elk Hunting prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wefald View Post
The altitude problem - I can't do anything about. I'm in KS, the hunt is at altitude.
Actually, you can. If at all possible, go out a day or two early to give yourself additional time to adjust. And drink lots of water: the air is drier in CO, and dehydration makes the effects of altitude worse.

Katherine
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Tony Black

Profile:

Hi Andrew a CFJ article i think youll like alot

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/08/...t-question.tpl You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)

Id suspect CF's mandate of preparing for the unknown and unknowable along with GPP will more or less fit your bill.

Stuff that im certain will help you will be heavy deadlifts , pullups and working short intense metcons... but a easy answer might be "just do crossfit"!

Last edited by Camille Lore : 09-16-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: WFS
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Andrew Wefald

Profile:

Thank you guys.

We go out on Thursday, acclimate Friday, hunt Saturday, if successful pick up meat on Sunday or hunt again, chill out Monday, take off Tuesday. So there is some acclimation.

I feel better than last year so we'll see. I have a terrible back so DL and squats with weight are out for me. I can do them, but they mess me up pretty bad. I can do wall balls, box jumps, etc. with little or no problem.

Thanks again..
Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Andrew Wefald

Profile:

Also, I didn't do terrible last year. The other guys said I walked further than they did on the first year. But, I want to really be ready and be in the best condition I can be for this trip.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wefald View Post
Thank you guys.

We go out on Thursday, acclimate Friday, hunt Saturday, if successful pick up meat on Sunday or hunt again, chill out Monday, take off Tuesday. So there is some acclimation.

I feel better than last year so we'll see. I have a terrible back so DL and squats with weight are out for me. I can do them, but they mess me up pretty bad. I can do wall balls, box jumps, etc. with little or no problem.

Thanks again..

I would imagine getting your back fixed so that you can train more effectively would be the number 1 thing you could do. I know that's often very difficult for people to do, but I would focus on that if I were in your position.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Tony Black

Profile:

Id 2nd Kevins comment!

When you get back from the trip - working out your back issues and rehabilitating/strengthening it should be one of your highest athletic priorities...

Get a decent coach to work over your DL form (many are the people whove rehabed (ie strengthened) there backs from serious injuries with correctly done dl/weightlifting/gymnastics...). Or even a sports physio...

Ive found hanging from a pullup bar is pretty good for tired backs..... (gravity lengthens the spine letting synovial fluid get back into the discs). Also working up to and doing HSPU's are another great method of strengthening the spine.

Good luck on your trip hope you get a freezer full of grassfeed paleo goodness!

Last edited by Tony Black : 09-16-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
William Davidson

Profile:

Try fixing your squat. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Andrew Wefald

Profile:

Appreciate all the feedback. The back is an ongoing issue. It's been bad since I was a sophmore in HS - about 22 years. I've one surgery and done all kinds of rehab (everything you can think of). Perfect form on squats and DL still doesn't help. I just try to work around it now. I do need to work on my core strength and flexibility though.

Thanks again.

I will keep doing what I'm doing, up the sprints and CF workouts, and see how it goes.

Andy
Old 09-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Kevin Wolfe

Profile:

I have been in the same boat as you. We go deer hunting a couple of times during the fall/winter. I like to hike because I get bored stiff sitting still for hours on end. Your crossfitting is good for overall muscle endurace, but I ave found that hiking (up mountains not on flats) really takes endurance.

The first year I hiked the mountain, I was 6'1" 200lbs. Last year (after a bunch of runner and training) I was 185lbs. I found that the running helped me a lot. My lunges were in good shape and my legs were used to long distance excersion (was running 6miles a pop). You may want to try some endurance training (running, cycling, rowing). Also, if you have any moutnains around you, nothing better to prep for hiking up a mountain, than hiking up a mountain.

Definitely stay hydrated while up there as that can where you out quick.