CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
training clients once a week?

Hey all, I'm working my way towards affiliating and setting up a CF box here in Tokyo. Going to get my lvl 1 in a couple of weeks down in Okinawa.

I talked with a friend who I know is into fitness, and she sounded very interested. In fact, she wanted to start right away (like tomorrow), and to bring her husband as well. She also knows a lot of people who train at a local globo and have been wanting classes without needing to pay $80 per hour for individual attention.

I think that this has huge potential for being the start up group for a future affiliate. the problem is, there schedules and my schedule don't allow for training multiple times each week :/ has anyone started by training people once a week? I would love to put them through the 'on ramp' course from NorCal, but wonder if doing it only once per week helps. Is there 'homework' that they can do in the meantime?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Mathieu Dumontet

Profile:
Re: training clients once a week?

Konichiwa!

From my humble point of view, training people less then 3 times a Week dont give the result that people expect from CrossFit. You will find that you are always working on the same movement, correcting posture and starting from the beginning with your athlete over and over again. Progress is made but at a really slow pace.

My 2 yens on the subject.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Especially since you're just starting out, I'd be very reluctant to train people just once a week. They won't get the results unless they put in the work, but if they were motivated enough to do "homework" on their own they wouldn't be coming to you in the first place. (Their inability to find time more than once a week doesn't indicate strong motivation either.) And then when they don't get the results, they'll blame you. That's the kind of thing that can kill your reputation before it gets off the ground.

(I'm assuming here that the problem is their schedules, and that you've offered a reasonably wide selection of possible times. If you haven't, shame on you, but once a week still isn't enough.)

Katherine
Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Adam Carlson

Profile:

thanks to both of you I figured that once per week wouldn't be enough :/ I'll want to work with them on scheduling, but also would want to work on training people a little more before working with this group. I've been a coach and a teacher for a long time, and my current coaching position has become more of a strength and conditioning coaching post, so I'm hoping that prior experience + current job will help train me to be a better trainer.

I think I'll wait a little in before training them. The one person who really wants to train works from 5 PM to some horrible time in the morning (he's the manager of a 7/11), and I teach during his off-hours so his schedule would be tricky. Others might be possible at different times. We'll see.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

Once a week is not enough, but it does make for an easy entrance into CrossFit. They soon realize that once a week is not enough for them and they make time to come in more. At first they might not know that it's worth the effort to make the time.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Once during that week start slowly working your way through the basic 9 movements. Maybe go over the basics of Oly lifting/rudimentary gymnastics and incorporate some staple CF movements into a mini-wod. Spend some time going over these skills before the mini-wod.

Admit to yourself, that they'll only get somewhere once they're doing a minimum of 3 days a week. Maybe 2 if they are doing some good lifting/CF/CFE on the other days of the week. You can decide whether to say that after the first day or drop it during the discussion and see how it flies. We should try getting together another day during the week or you should work on this stuff once or twice till I see you next. Then ask them if they did when you reconvene.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Thanks everyone for bringing up some great points and some excellent ideas.

Here's where I'm at in my thought process (and feel free to correct me where I need to be corrected):

1. once a week is not enough
2. working with potential clients to introduce the 9 basic movements + mini-WOD might make them 'CF thirsty', and could lead to multiple classes per week
3. I am a teacher and a sports coach, but have not had enough exposure to CF to effectively run things yet
4. I'm getting my lvl 1 next weekend
5. maybe in a few months after having spent time coaching the students who are under my care in strength and conditioning, I might be able to start meeting with potential clients to show them what CF is and what might be possible with it (not to worry, I wouldn't have them do a killer workout and harm them, maybe step one in the CF NorCal's 'On Ramp' curriculum)
6. if done right, this could be the beginning of an affiliate
7. at this point in time, 'clients' means 'people who want to train with me', and not 'people who I charge money from'

Does this sound about right? I'm hoping to open an affiliate in about 3 years or so, and will want to go back to Okinawa for more training from time to time (when I can manage the еее/$$$). Some day I would like to get a lvl 2 cert as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Sam Ser

Profile:

+1 for the "once a week is not enough" comments.

i've been doing some classes, some three times a week and one twice a week. my twice-weekly folks have improved, but not nearly as much as my thrice-weeklies.

i turned down once-a-week requests because the results just aren't significant. they don't get enough exercise, they don't get enough of the positive interaction of the group (if you're training a group) and they don't make enough of a mental and emotional commitment to the training itself to make much of an impact in the long run.

obviously, not everyone is willing or able to train 5-6 times a week. but if someone isn't willing to put in even 30 minutes of effort, at least twice a week, you have to question whether they're really committed to the program.

besides, getting good at something takes practice! would your clients expect to make much progress in learning how to speak a foreign language, or how to play an instrument, if they only committed one brief session to it each week? i think not.

exercise is a skill as well as a behavior. clients need to put in enough time to develop the skill, as well as enough time to ingrain the behavior. once a week is not enough to do either.

(disclaimer: if you were talking about someone who trained by themselves several times a week but wanted to see you for specific coaching once a week, that would be a different story.)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yep, one day of CF a week is only good for those jerks like me who don't care about the community aspect as much as getting a good workout in.

They aren't good for someone new to the movements of CF.

The only movements that were new to me in CF were the thruster and SDHP and kipping PU. Ok, my kipping PU still sucks as well as my DU. Then again wallball/thruster was easy to pick up. Oh, and the KB swing. I'm ok at that when I rarely KB swing.

Well that and the whole suckage that was metcon. Ugh.