CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Brian Adams

Profile:
Squat Stance - Wide or Narrow?

It feels natural for me to set my stance really wide on squats. When I try to come in closer my tendency is to lean on my toes and fall forward. Is a wider stance okay?

I also have no idea what is meant by the "knees track out over feet". What's meant by this and how do you control it?

A third question I've read to lower with hips rather than bend with knees. How do you lower your hips without bending your knees?

Last edited by Brian Adams : 08-15-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Dan Andrews

Profile:
Re: Squat Stance - Wide or Narrow?

Im no lifting expert, but especially in power lifting a wide stance is heavily preferred, atleast by Dave Tate, cant say a ton for others, id say going wide is fine as long as your still getting the ROM your looking for.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Michael Ingley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
It feels natural for me to set my stance really wide on squats. When I try to come in closer my tendency is to lean on my toes and fall forward. Is a wider stance okay?

I also have no idea what is meant by the "knees track out over feet". What's meant by this and how do you control it?

A third question I've read to lower with hips rather than bend with knees. How do you lower your hips without bending your knees?
if it feels natural for you and you can get the proper ROM go for it, and with the hips thing I would say that some people start the squat with bending their knees, you need to move your hips down and out before the knees.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post

1) Mark Rippetoe says to keep you heels at shoulder width, point the toes out 30 degrees. This is for general strength training.

2) Knees tracking out over the feet means to actively shove your knees out to the sides so that they do not collapse inward. This is part of maintaining an "active hip". Actually when I finally understood this cue and made myself push my knees out while squatting, a lot of my form problems seemed to fix themselves.

3) You do bend the knees, I am not sure what you are talking about. Just stick your as* back and put the knees slightly over the toes. Don't "pull the knees back" on your way back up. Knees and hips break at approximately the same time I believe. The movement isn't started by you just collapsing your knees and letting the weight take you down, if that's what you mean.

This may be a lot to take in but read over it and practice and eventually it will come naturally.

Buy the book "Starting Strength". It is indispensable.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Push your *** back. Stick that butt out. Going wider than hip distance allows you to pass the hips locking up due to inflexibility or something along those lines.

Link deleted. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)

I say this mainly because I've been watching the Dave Tate clips of the CFJ besides the KStar knee video and Steve Low's comments.

Last edited by Camille Lore : 08-16-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: WFS
Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Thomas Green

Profile:

Don't get me wrong -- Tate's method is my favorite way to squat. But front squats and olympic lifting (hence olympic squats) are very important in CF too. And for those, obviously you want to take a narrower stance.

As far as Low bar squats goes, I find it interesting that they're posting so many Dave Tate videos. Tate and Rippetoe teach different variations of the LBBS, so I'm not quite sure who they're endorsing(or just not endorsing any method at and allowing readers to decide which method they like best). Either way, it's a good idea to experiment with both. Rippetoe also favors a wide stance. Not quite as wide as Tate's. But from what I understand it really boils down to this: with the Elite FTS Method, sticking your a** back as far as you can while not allowing you knees to travel forward is the most important cue to get down. Whereas with Rippetoe, it's about driving your butt up on the ascent.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 08-15-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I haven't seen anything really on the DaveTate squat nor do I remember much from EliteFTS.

If you oly squat, which I pretty much do; it's push *** back and knees go forward at the same time.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

A wider stance inherently limits your ROM though - surely that's a big reason why Tate advocates it. The shorter the bar path, the more likely you are to make the lift in competition. For general strength training, I'd imagine that would make it sub-optimal in that respect at least.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Check this out:
http://www.performancemenu.com/wod/v...ySemJune09.mov

It's from the Catalyst Athletics Oly seminar in June, and it's "learning to squat."
nwfs due to language.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

NM. Rip just was talking about external rotating the knees and toes out allows the ADductors to contribute. Nothing about going wider than hips/shoulders.

Sorry about the link, forgot about WFS. Let's try this again.

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/boxsquat.html W/F safe.