CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Nadia Madden

Profile:
Paleo + Ramadan?

Hey:

I'm new to paleo, and loving it! just wondering if anyone has done paleo during Ramadan before(or IF with a similar schedule), and how they deal with a) the fasting, and b) the cultural pressures to eat non-paleo foods and such.

for the fasting:
What do you eat for breakfast to keep going throughout the day? How about nights?

For the cultural stuff, my family is S. Asian, and evening meals involve extended family + friends getting together for traditional high-carb meals like rotis, samosas, daals, meat and potato curries, and tons of rice. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on paleofying these kinds of foods so that I can make them to share with others. My brothers are diabetic so I think it would be good for them anyhow.

for example, a traditional breakfast food is toasted vermicelli noodles with milk, sugar, cardamon and almonds. I'm going to try making a similar version with spaghetti squash, coconut milk, and a few dates.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Paleo + Ramadan?

Ramadan Kreem

You may want to have a read of the last years thread about ramadan and crossfit.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36380 wfs

you may want to email osman... later on he emailed me to say that he ended up eating heavier during his break fast and last meal to offset problems.

hope it helps
Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Not exactly a response to your question, but thought this may be helpful to you. Mehdi over at stronglifts writes about lifting and maintaining muscle during Ramadan

http://stronglifts.com/ramadan-weigh...scle-lose-fat/ (WFS)
Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

I came to the boards again searching for any new Ramadan thread. I posted and read the thread from last year.

This year my diet is different, as I am trying to maintain more zone/paleo (its not perfect but better than before).

That article Tom posted is helpful, as it confirms my method of working out right before breaking fast is better.. a lot of people say to workout after you break your fast in the evening. I felt that was difficult because I just felt nauseous. The reason that is stated is if you are dehydrated, you will weaken muscles when training, so workout after breaking the fast or before starting your fast (before starting fast will have to be like 5-6am which will be very difficult for me and my CF gym is not open till 6am).

Usually when I break my fast in the evening/night, I eat little so my stomach adapts, then later on I will eat more food. So waiting to train till later at night will get in the way of my eating and spiritual schedule, plus the CF gym I go to closes at 8pm, and I don't want to be up so late at night because I worked out late.

Suggestions on working out while you have fasted for approx. 12 hours with no food or fluid but you will be breaking the fast right after working out.

Also how much quantity of food for the pre-fast meal, and dinner etc. before sleeping, considering that one is trying to have a more zone/paleo friendly diet (i.e. no oats etc).

Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

I also just started paleo and am also fasting during Ramadan. Any advice would be useful!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Nadia Madden

Profile:

cool, glad to know I'm not the only one here!

I've been eating a protein-heavy breakfast with vegetables, seems to be keeping me going through the day OK. I'm really excited about doing Paleo during Ramadan as I think it will help a lot with hunger levels and overall mental clarity.

I tried a workout today just before breaking my fast, it was ok but I was low energy. I think I'm going to do a very basic level of crossfit this month and focus on stretching and flexibility.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

workout AFTER breaking fast... you will have more gas to muscle thru the wod.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Nadia Madden

Profile:

Frank:

I wish I could but the time is not really there with the night prayers and going to bed early. I might try the WOD in the morning, though.