CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Re: My one year crossfit and paleo results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Polak View Post
Thanks. That was from when I lacked the confidence to shave all my hair off. I had a "classic horse-shoe pattern" forming.
Ha! Couldn't resist..

Seriously, amazing results. It's stuff like this that keeps me going when I'm standing in line for my morning coffee smelling fresh baked bagels..
Old 07-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #22
Cathy Staelgraeve

Profile:

The picture of you and your son is adorable!!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
David Meverden

Profile:

Great work, man!

How has your performance changed? I'm curious what your benchmark numbers and lifts have done. You also mentioned zone helping with performance a lot, could you elaborate?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #24
Ryan Polak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Great work, man!

How has your performance changed? I'm curious what your benchmark numbers and lifts have done. You also mentioned zone helping with performance a lot, could you elaborate?
It's tough to say how much my performance changed from before as I started my diet at the same time that I really committed to crossfit. But I can definitely say that it improved.

My benchmarks, depends on what you want. I don't have too many exact #'s. What I do know is: Fran approx 3:40, Deadlift 515, Clean 315. I ran King Kong last month and it took me about 6 mins. I was just happy to get through King Kong alive. I just moved and can't find my log book to tell you exactly. If I find it I will post them.

Once I went on the zone, I felt that I could power through a little longer, and my lifts felt a little more explosive, and my recovery between lifts was better. I also felt more focused. I would typically work out @ 9am, and when my belly was full from oats, PB, and protein powder; as opposed to bacon and eggs, I just felt stronger. My complaints about the zone diet is that all the measuring is very involved, but more than anything I found that I was always hungry, even at 5 blocks. This hunger would lead to a lack of discipline. But once I went back to paleo, I noticed a drop in performance. However, I felt better throughout the day, was not as hungry, and noticed better weight loss while on paleo. I feel Zone is a higher performance diet, and Paleo is a better health diet.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #25
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Polak View Post
I feel Zone is a higher performance diet, and Paleo is a better health diet.
Think that pretty much nails it.. I agree.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #26
Ryan Polak

Profile:

Someone had asked if I could post a picture of me before with my shirt off. Well I've got one here, this is actually from about 4 years ago at a firefighter auction. I looked worse last summer when I started all of this. I can't believe I had the confidence to go up looking like that. THE BOXER SHORTS WERE ISSUED TO US, it was part of the show. But it's an idea of how far I came in a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	3139
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	4696  

Last edited by Ryan Polak : 07-27-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #27
Robb Gunn

Profile:

Ryan,

These results are freaking awesome! I just started Paleo, so this really gives me some motivation. Just a couple of questions... I know that you counted calories, but do you have any idea what a day looked like in terms of grams (i.e protein, carbs, fat) and if so would you mind posting those. As far as your carb sources, I take it you were pretty much green veggies? Thanks in advance for the input, and again congrats!

Robb
Old 07-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #28
Ryan Polak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Gunn View Post
Ryan,

These results are freaking awesome! I just started Paleo, so this really gives me some motivation. Just a couple of questions... I know that you counted calories, but do you have any idea what a day looked like in terms of grams (i.e protein, carbs, fat) and if so would you mind posting those. As far as your carb sources, I take it you were pretty much green veggies? Thanks in advance for the input, and again congrats!

Robb
Thanks.

I roughly counted my calories, mostly a ballpark figure. I would say that I was around 2200-2400 calories a day, sometimes up, sometimes down. A lot of people would say that figure is pretty low for me, as I burn a ton of calories. I have a fat free mass of about 185 or so, so it takes a good amount of calories and protein. I would say I was getting around 200-240 gr of protein a day, and it would be tough for me to say how much carb and fat I got a day. My breakfast would usually be about 400-500 calories, post workout snack would be around 300, lunch would be around 500, snack around 300, supper would be about 600, and snack around 200. I would just glance at the totals for each meal and keep it around there, starting with a minimum 35gr of protein. I would also drink at least 4 litres of water a day. My cousin is a competitive bodybuilder and she kept telling me that my totals were way too low. But I found that I was full on this diet. Also, I am trying to lose some total mass, as I find that most people who can keep their weight below 190 maintain a healthier body through life. Guys who get too big have their bodies break down. My carb sources consisted of veggies, and the trace amounts found in nuts. What I ate consisted of pistachios, almonds, tons of spinach, peppers, onions, avocados, tons of broccoli, radishes, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, etc. My average day consisted of 3 bacon, 3 eggs, and a handful of veg for breakfast. Protein shake (not paleo I know, but it really helps post workout recovery) and nuts post workout. Chunk of meat a little bigger than palm of my hand and large salad with oil for lunch. Beef jerky or other left over meat and broccoli for snack, chunk of meat about the size of 2 palms of my hand and bbq veggies for supper, and pistachios for late night snack.

Sorry I don't have exact figures for you. I'm sure that I could figure it out, but it wouldn't matter as you will have to figure out the totals that work best for you. Start with 1-1.5 gr of protein per pound of lean muscle mass a day, broken up over 5-6 meals. Get a scale and/or calipers and keep track and you will quickly find out what levels work for you. And drink a lot of water for 3 reasons: 1. It's healthy 2. It decreases your water retention 3. It makes you feel full. It took me several months to fine tune my diet, but regardless you will lose weight once you switch to this diet, it is the true leaning out phase where you really have to get into tune with your body. I really recommend a heart rate monitor strap and watch to count your calories so you can get a baseline. Most people recommend a deficit of around 200-400 calories a day, but find what is most comfortable for you. Log your workouts and body changes and find a balance that allows high performance first, but includes positive body changes at a steady, healthy rate. It's a cycle, the harder you train, the healthier you want to eat, the healthier you eat, the harder you want to train. Just stick with it and it will all make sense.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #29
Stas Gorbis

Profile:

First off congratulations on achieving all of your acomplishments. Since I have only been doing CF for two months I am a little hesitant about the results, but after seeing your posts I am a lot more reassured. I was always worried that CF would give me a body that is of average fit, but you have been able to achieve an amazing body.

I will go ahead and take your advice on the paleo because I also do not enjoy the counting aspect of the zone.

I am wondering if you do any isolation exercises for you arms just because they are bigger then most peoples and it is actually the look that I am going for.

Once again, great job!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #30
Ajay Chahar

Profile:

Amazing job! Keep it up! Cheers!