CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:
Help! I'm too buff for my own good!

I think we can all agree that a better-looking body is a great side effect of constantly varied functional movements at high intensity.

I'm going to try to avoid sounding like a braggart. After a year of intense CF, good sleep and good eating, I fill out shirts (and pants) substantially. To remain inconspicuous, I would pretty much have to wear a circus tent.

Now, when I'm around other CFers, all is well, because my body isn't out of the ordinary and doesn't draw many comments. However, I went to a party of regular folks last night, which was refreshing, but...

Most of the guests I was meeting for the first time, and the others I had not seen in several years. I got asked at least twice how much I benched, and when I said "well I haven't benched in ages, but I squat/DL X much", nobody knew what I was talking about. I also got comments like "No homo, but you're f****** yolked" and "Well, you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger"

To quote some nameless feminist: "I'm not just a piece of meat!" If I may say so, I have plenty of interesting pastimes and hobbies that I would love to talk about, but it seemed like every conversation I tried to strike up somehow ended up veering back to "dude, flex!"

So...I'm sure I'm not alone in this. To those of you who are visibly "built", what's your strategy when meeting new, non-CF people to avoid becoming just "that one crazy buff guy/chick"?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: Help! I'm too buff for my own good!

If you aren't married being in shape typically helps. This comes from experience.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Rick Hardin

Profile:

Old 07-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Really, Jake? Sucks to be you.

Ah, no, I get lots of odd, off the wall remarks made to me and I'm really not even buff (by CF female standards anyways). THis is usually at work, so I just smile. If they make smart *** remarks, I remind them I can prolly either A) Bench Press them or B) Kick their ***.

I'm also going to start comparing whats under the shirt next time someone calls my lunch box contents weird.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Eric Doolittle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
I'm also going to start comparing whats under the shirt next time someone calls my lunch box contents weird.
Your lunch box contents are weird
Old 07-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Doolittle View Post
Your lunch box contents are weird
Although I left myself WAY open for comments on that one.....WATCH IT YOUNG MAN! I might be your boss someday!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Sorry, Jake, I didn't really answer your question. Actually, as much as I love CF, I hate talking about it to certain groups of people. Because it ends up being one of those conversations where yes, you are the crazy person and they want to discuss the umpteenth diet they are on (all while proudly displaying the muffin top) and how much they are walking during the work day. Drives me nuts.

What to do? To qoute a fav movie: "Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave." Try to steer the conversation from how awesome you look to how awesome you feel. CF HAS CHANGED MY LIFE BECAUSE..............

You're beyond your peers in many ways, so not really sure what else to say.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
I think we can all agree that a better-looking body is a great side effect of constantly varied functional movements at high intensity.

I'm going to try to avoid sounding like a braggart. After a year of intense CF, good sleep and good eating, I fill out shirts (and pants) substantially. To remain inconspicuous, I would pretty much have to wear a circus tent.

Now, when I'm around other CFers, all is well, because my body isn't out of the ordinary and doesn't draw many comments. However, I went to a party of regular folks last night, which was refreshing, but...

Most of the guests I was meeting for the first time, and the others I had not seen in several years. I got asked at least twice how much I benched, and when I said "well I haven't benched in ages, but I squat/DL X much", nobody knew what I was talking about. I also got comments like "No homo, but you're f****** yolked" and "Well, you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger"

To quote some nameless feminist: "I'm not just a piece of meat!" If I may say so, I have plenty of interesting pastimes and hobbies that I would love to talk about, but it seemed like every conversation I tried to strike up somehow ended up veering back to "dude, flex!"

So...I'm sure I'm not alone in this. To those of you who are visibly "built", what's your strategy when meeting new, non-CF people to avoid becoming just "that one crazy buff guy/chick"?
Man that problem is an f'ing tragedy.

Have you tried the twinkie diet? That'll probably help. If not, just continue to be smart well read and in shape eventually people will get tired of talking about your body.

N.B. I'm just guessing, that has never been a problem for me, But the twinkie diet is a solution, I'm 100% sure.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You're ****ed that people keep complementing you on your physique and are comparing you to one of the greatest (and strongest) body builders of all time?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
You're ****ed that people keep complementing you on your physique and are comparing you to one of the greatest (and strongest) body builders of all time?
I mean I guess I understand that "Arnold" has become the default person to compare anyone muscular to, because that's the only one anyone knows...though it would be kind of cool of someone said "Wow, you look like Pyrros Dimas!"