CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I made a few observations during my max PushPress workout, I'm hoping maybe you could guys could weigh in with some explanations or share your own experiences with this.

I noticed that my pushpress was a lot stronger if I performed it right after the powerclean. I think it may have something to do with better postural alignment. If I "re-set" first I seem unable to stick my butt out again and get proper alignment. I wish I could clarify this more, I hope you guys see what I mean.

I struggled early on with some lighter reps and found that when I was nearing my 1RM my form was getting a lot better and the motion was very fluid. This struck me as very odd.

My hand spacing for almost all barbell movements is 17 inches which I think is pretty narrow. For pressing movements would it be advantageous to start using a progressively wider grip since it'll shorten the pressing distance?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I have a question also. Should I be focusing more on driving through my heels (like pushing with my legs) or is it more driving my hips forward? I've expirimented with both, and both feel equally awkward =)
Old 12-15-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Hip movement should be strictly vertical - when viewed from the side, there should be no horizontal movement of the hip joint.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:30 PM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi guys,

I don't know if it's 'right' or not Paul, but the technique you describe is what I use for Grace (135# C&J, 30 reps, for time). It's quicker and does seem to allow you to 'load' the legs/hips more effectively before exploding upward.

With the grip, I'm guessing at a certain point the fact that there's a shorter distance involved is overcome by other factors. With our recent OHS focus workout I had difficulty push pressing the load overhead if my hands were wide in the OHS position on the bar to begin with. (but I was doing this from the front - thanks to Lincoln for bring up the point about starting with the bar on your back).

Joshua, I'm guessing the push-press is no different than any other O-lift or variation. This means stay on the heels as long as possible. If you do rise up on the toes, it's OK, but only if its a REACTION to the drive generated from the hips and legs earlier in the lift. Dan John talks about this in another thread.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Old 12-16-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Thanks!

I think since I spent so much time with KBs, my tendency is to hip snap forward - I think I'll do a "Fran" tomorrow and check out keeping the hip drive straight up.