CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-15-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
I have read about box squats, primarily information out of Louie Simmons' camp, and I'm confused. They say to sit "back and down," but such a motion, at least as I conceptualize it, would lead necessarily to falling backwards on to your ***. Can anyone explain what I'm missing?

And more generally, any thoughts on the usefulness of box squatting?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Gordon,

I'm no expert, but no one else is picking this up. The first thing to note is that Powerlifters squat differently than non-Powerlifters. The goal of the event is to put a bar on your back, get your thighs to parallel, and then back up. So they shorten the path as much as possible by adopting a wide stance and a flat back, and sitting back. I'm not a powerlifter, so I may be missing something, but I've been shown by guys squatting in the 600's what they do. It's almost like the bar goes down by the butt going back. Within that context, sitting back and down makes perfect sense.

As far as the utility of box squatting, all I can say is they wouldn't do it if it didn't work. As I understand it, the goal is to deload your legs and back, so that you have to reload it fast to make it out of the hole. You remove the stretch reflex. I think.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
gordon-I had some coaching last year in the box squat from a couple buddies back in Phoenix who were competative powerlifters.The way they taught me was when referring to the "sit down and back" you mimic the motion used as if you were going to sit down on the toilet.
They felt very awkward the first few sessions, and even more so when weight was added to the bar.I felt these a lot in the glutes and hamstrings as opposed to the quads.
Not sure about the "usefulness" of doing them as my experience was pretty limited in them, but I was told they are a good squat variation for athletes as opposed to regular squats.Can't remember the reasoning behind this though.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
Kris Freeman

Profile:
There supposed to be more beneficial to athletes because the recruitment of the gluteal muscles (posterior chain) as some may say. When you stand with torso erect, butt back, shins vertical, weight centered it is a fundementally more athletic position than if you were leaning foward on your toes. That was how it was explained to me at least. For some keeping shins close to vertical is easier on the knees. I've also read about Power Lifters using box squats for rehab/ great gains. Personally I'm using it to increase Pistol strength.

Hope that adds to the discussion,
Kris
Old 05-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
Thanks for the helpful input, gentlemen. If anyone comes across a video link for box squatting, please post it. I've not been able to find one. I am convinced from what I've read that this is a valuable variation on traditional squatting.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:34 PM   #6
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I've heard that it helps with gaining hip strength quite a bit, which aids in extension moves like jumping. Joe DeFranco wrote an article about improving the vertical, and box squats were on the top of the list.