CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
CrossFitters care about babies/Affiliates that care

On this board, we are always talking about how we want to make our society a fitter, healthier one. We even have CrossFit Kids, so that we can make the next generation fitter too. Well, I want to put out a challenge for CrossFitters to help make our next generation fitter before they can even take their first breath. JOIN THE LITTLEST BIG TEAM IN THE MARCH FOR BABIES!
I started a team in honor of my daughter, Sofia Bigongiari, aka "the Littlest Big", in order to raise money for the March of Dimes. Some of you may think that the March of Dimes is all about preventing birth defects, and they are, but they do so much more. They especially try to prevent premature birth and improve the treatments available for premature babies. Sofia was born 10 weeks premature in an emergency c-section that was necessary to save my life. My blood pressure had skyrocketed and my kidneys were about to fail, when my doctor said that my baby had to be delivered immediately. Sofia weighed only 2 lbs 13 oz at birth, but she had a BIG fighting spirit. She fought off infections, she amazed everyone by breathing on her own despite being so early, and she struggled to learn how to feed by mouth. Thanks to the excellent prenatal care I received and the incredible intensive care that Sofia received, she is now a healthy and vibrant 2 year old. The educational programs and research done by the March of Dimes works -- Sofia is proof of that.
The March for Babies has some celebrity sponsors, one being Kelly Clarkson. On her fundraising site they pondered what if every Kelly Clarkson fan donated $5? Well, I have a more far reaching challenge...What if every CrossFitter donated $10 to the March for Babies? I also had the idea to offer a spot on the back of my team's shirts for the logos of any sponsor that donates at least $100. Wouldn't it be awesome to have the back of my shirt covered in CrossFit affiliate logos?
So show babies that CrossFitters care about their lives...JOIN THE LITTLEST BIG TEAM IN THE MARCH FOR BABIES! You can donate securely on the team website, you can register to join our team for the walk on May 9th in Austin, TX, you can register to join our team but walk in another city's event, or your business can sponsor our team online. [http://www.marchforbabies.org/658504/YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.
If you've ever been a baby, know a baby, or want to have a healthy baby of your own one day, then you've been touched by the work done by the March of Dimes. Please help out a fellow CrossFitter provide a great start for babies.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 05-07-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
Re: CrossFitters care about babies

OK, CrossFitters, I know a lot of you have read this thread, but no one has contributed. I know posts are usually better with pictures and video. Well, I'm not at my home computer right now, so I'll post a link to a March of Dimes video that was produced last year, but is still very relevant today. It is WFS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P_dFD0J47I
Remember, if CrossFit is going to take over the world, we have to save the babies first. Join The Littlest Big Team http://www.marchforbabies.org/658504 (link WFS)
Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:

Eva,
tried to contribute and got this error message- others may have too.
Congrats on your Little Sophia and her fighting spirit.

Error on a page

User Message: Could not get current team info
Page: /404.asp
Number: -2147217900
Description: Incorrect syntax near ','.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Carter Jee

Profile:

hi eva!!!

will be sending some love from down under when I get home from work tonight!!

hope they accept credit cards!!

carter
Old 04-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Thank you so much, Carter and Mikki. Your contributions will make a big difference in the health of babies.

To Mikki (and anyone else who may have encountered errors), I'm so sorry for the trouble. I know the website has been experiencing problems lately. I'll post the link again. Please keep trying. http://marchforbabies.org/658504 (WFS)

I'll be returning home tomorrow night, so I'll be able to update this thread with pictures of Sofia. You'll be amazed at how far she's come.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Hi everyone,
As promised, here are some photos of Sofia, the Littlest Big. At birth, she weighed 2 lbs 13 oz and was 12 in long. You don't really know how tiny that is until you hold a preemie in your hands. We constantly worried that we would break her little bones, accidently unplug one of the many wires attached to her, or that she was too cold since she had no fat layer to keep her warm. At first, we could only hold her for five minutes before she would have to be put back into her isolette to warm up. Preemies are supposed to still be inside the quiet darkness of the womb, floating in amniotic fluid. They're nervous systems are not ready to process being touched and held. Your instinct is to rock and caress a baby that is crying, but we were told not to touch our newborn too much because it caused her to have sensory overload. That is a torturous feeling for a new parent to not be able to hold their baby. Please donate to the March of Dimes, so that we can help them find a way so that all babies are born full term and healthy. http://www.marchforbabies.org/658504 (link WFS)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny Sofia email size.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	3867  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofia day 1 email size.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	3868  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofia hug 1 week old email size.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	3869  Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Bunny email size.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	3876  

Last edited by Eva Bigongiari : 04-08-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Here are some pictures of the Littlest Big today. Now she is 2 years old weighing 21 lbs and she is 40 in long. She's still on the small side, but Sofia is healthy and developmentally on track. She loves working out with me in the garage and trying to mimic my exercises. Sofia is healthy today because of the education I and my healthcare providers received from the March of Dimes. I was put on folic acid supplements well before I was pregnant to ensure that my baby's spinal cord would develop without any defects. I was watched closely enough by my doctors that they were able to spot when my health was in danger. I was admitted to the hospital and given steroid shots to mature my baby's lungs, so that she would be able to breathe despite a premature birth. We are extraordinarily blessed to have all these resources, but many pregnant mothers and their babies do not receive the help they need. Please join The Littlest Big Team in our March for Babies http://www.marchforbabies.org/658504
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofia's 65lb deadlift attempt email size.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	3872  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofia's victory pose email size.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	3873  Click image for larger version

Name:	Mommy & Sofia pushups #1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	3874  Click image for larger version

Name:	In Daddy's boots email size.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	3875  
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Carter Jee

Profile:

hi eva...

she's gorgeous!!!!

carter
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Thanks again, Carter. It means a lot to me that we would get a donation all the way from Australia.

Come on, Crossfitters! Let's make this a competition. American Crossfitters, are you going to let Australia take the lead like that? You're not going to challenge their charity powers even a little? I know we can make this a real horse race if you just try.

Here's a link to a PDF that shows where your money goes when you donate to the March of Dimes: (link WFS) http://www.marchforbabies.org/files/...rMoneyGoes.pdf
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

I just wanted to let everyone know that Mikki Martin and CrossFit Kids has joined The Littlest Big Team's mission to raise $1000 for the March of Dimes. CrossFit Kids is our first corporate sponsor and we're so proud to have them backing this very important charity. I want to challenge anyone else who owns a business, CrossFit affiliate or not, to sponsor The Littlest Big Team in the March for Babies. A donation of at least $100 gets your name and logo on our team shirts. All donations are tax-deductible, so won't it be nice to get a little advertising and have a nice write-off for next year. CrossFit and this community has made such a big impact in my health and well-being, let's go save some babies and bring more people into the fold. You can join our team or donate at http://www.marchforbabies.org/658504 (link WFS)