CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Tate Rivera

Profile:
Just One Month

Hey guys I am down in Brazil for another month and a half. I am thinking about getting a gym membership for just one month before I head back home. I dont really have access to do crossfit and I am tired of just doing body weight exercises. I am interested in just building up some strength while I will be using the gym. Do you have any good suggestions as far as programming is concerned? Like I said, I would really like to build up some strength just in this month I have. A few brief stats:

M/24/170
Deadlift: 315
Squat: 255
Shoulder Press: 120

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Re: Just One Month

Oly lifts?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Luke Hitt

Profile:

Can you not do the WOD's each day? For the most part I would say follow the WOD's. A month of consistent WOD's will improve anybody's strength and fitness. If you are more interested in burning a bit of fat and increase fitness, then just do a bunch of girls and heroes. If you want to get stronger then try and get more oly lifts in...
Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Generic answer for strength around here, as you probably know since you've been around, is Starting Strength. You can buy gallons of milk down there, right?

Is there some reason that wouldn't work out?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Generic answer for strength around here, as you probably know since you've been around, is Starting Strength. You can buy gallons of milk down there, right?

Is there some reason that wouldn't work out?
Yeah, that would work, I just was not sure if it would it would be effective to do just for a month. Today will be my first day going to the gym, so I plan on just lifting heavy. A little bit of everything, squats, deads, thrusters, shoulder presses, cleans, etc (obviously not all in one day).

As far as CrossFitting daily, the gym I am going to is pretty small and is mostly machines. It is not very CrossFit friendly, but there are some barbells that I should be able to use. Some WOD's won't happen there, but there should be some that I can do there. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Tom Woodward

Profile:

SS would definitely be effective for a month. Hell, even a week. Your squat would probably get better with three good sessions. Go for it if you're fairly novice. Never hurts to improve the compound lifts. And SS is very gym friendly.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post
SS would definitely be effective for a month. Hell, even a week. Your squat would probably get better with three good sessions. Go for it if you're fairly novice. Never hurts to improve the compound lifts. And SS is very gym friendly.
Haha, you just answered my question. I went to the gym yesterday for the first time and it is the typical bodybuilding gym. They do not even have normal bars and weights. Everything has a smaller diameter, so oly lifts are kind of out of the question for now. I had just decided to keep it simple and do Starting Strength and my next question was gonna be, "would it be worth it for just a month?" But thanks Tom, you already took care of that for me. I will give it a go for one month and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post
I was actually considering doing a "MEBB Week" experiment, where I take 1 week a month and do, essentially, a week of SS (GOMAD included). I figured that a problem with a MEBB scheme is that strength gains will always be stunted to some extent by metcon, so take the MEBB days and move them to their own week, during which you might as well add a bunch of milk to get the max gains you can. And you wouldn't get real chubby because the 3 weeks of CF would mitigate fat weight gain.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

CF + GOMAD = Chubby

I speak from experience. CF does not elicit the same kind of hormonal response as three heavy squat days per week.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
CF + GOMAD = Chubby

I speak from experience. CF does not elicit the same kind of hormonal response as three heavy squat days per week.
I meant only do the GOMAD during the heavy weight lifting week, then eat normal the rest of the month. Think that kind of cycling would screw with your hormones? (insulin, etc)