CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #81
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Re: Helen Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Hi Helen!

I love how you're always playing golf. How do you manage all that fun time? I'm so jealous! If I didn't have to work, walk dogs, do household duties, I'd go surfing everyday. Sadly, that is not to be. poor 'ole me!

Don't forget to take ample rest time to recuperate! I know, I'm supposed to encourage you to go kick more a**. But, you already are, so, don't forget to get some body rest time!
Yeah, well thats my life! I play hard and work hard! I'm exhausted all the time, but in a good way! Sometimes i feel like i take too much rest time. But I know i'm working hard and I know i'll work even harder during the winter. So for now, its play time!

Yesterday i spent about an hour learning the bergener warm-up. It basically seems like snatch practice, but i think its great. I'm going to give it to a few of my clients too to work on.

I played golf with Sue C. from Western today in the Edison invitational and we shot 75 gross best ball and we won low net with 65. The winners shot 70. I think we both shot 81. I played better on the front and she did on the back so it was all good and we had fun.

Tomorrow I'll work (desk job) 4 hours, play 9 holes, 1 PT client then the WOD whatever it may be.

I'm thinking that maybe I'll start the burpee challenge over when golf season is over, it just seems like too much right now. My body can't take all the abuse!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #82
Helen Lawson

Profile:

My first Buttercup Grace -- 33lbs -- 13 minutes.

First time doing clean & jerk from the ground instead of "hang clean". It was actually too low as the plates i have only put the bar about 6 inches from the ground. That part was fine though as I have gumby like flexibility in most parts. I didn't really try to go for speed as i'm still working on form with the jerk.

And, i did it "the right way" -- what i would tell my clients to do. I'm usually so sore that i figured i better use my own advice and see if it would help.

2xCrossfit Warm-up
1xBergener warm-up w/16 lb bar
1 set of 3 warm-up hang clean & jerks w/16 lb bar

30 Clean & Jerks -- ground to overhead -- 13 minutes.

20 minutes stretching adductors, hams, it band, chest, shoulders, quads.

It's a benchmark i should be able to beat!

I feel good! Yeah!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #83
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Yet again i have a convenient excuse not to run! My hamstrings are quite sore from yesterdays Clean & Jerks and I'll be on my feet all day tomorrow (18 holes of golf & a music festival -- Lark Fest).

So i made up my own WOD for today:

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
-- 400 meter row
-- 20 situps
-- 3 pull-ups
-- 3 dips

My results:
3 rounds w/full straight leg roll-ups, 46 lb assisted pull-ups & dips.

I know the rowing uses your hamstrings too -- but it doesn't make them as tight as running does.

Feel free to try my WOD and let me know how you do!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #84
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Filthy Fifty "puppies" version so I'll call it the "Terrible Twenties":

20 Box jump, 8 inch box --jump up, step down
20 Total Gym pull-ups -- highest setting + 12 lbs
20 Kettlebell swings, 15 lbs
Walking Lunge, 20 steps up-hill
20 Ab-Mat Sit-ups
20 Push press, 23 pounds -- broken set into two 10's
20 Bosu Back extensions
20 Wall (Tree) ball shots, 8 pound ball
20 Burpees -- 1st 5 were man push-ups, rest broken girly push-ups
20 Standard Jump Rope Jumps

Time: 22 minutes

As always the burpees were the real killer!

Yesterday I played 18 holes and went to a Tom Morrello "The Night Watchman" concert (Lark Fest) -- I got caught on the fringes of the mosh pit! Yet another benefit of being a crossfitter! I was able to rebound everyone and everything that came at me!

Yesterday i also took my body fat percentage (a month ago it measured 19%) and yesterday 24%! I thought it was getting lower and i could eat whaterver I wanted, but i guess i went too far! I guess it's time to start watching the diet again. I never "diet" -- but sometimes I bulk and sometimes i cut. So, i have to go into a cut phase. For me that just means fruit for snacks and soup or tuna for lunch. Don't overdo the ice cream or the alcohol and i'll be back to 19% in no time!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #85
Helen Lawson

Profile:

I really wanted to try "Isabel" but when i got home my dog accidently gave me a black eye. He just jumped up to give me kisses and bumped my eye on his head. Sounds simple enough, but it is almost swollen shut and quite purple. So, i had to try to keep ice on it -- 20 minutes on/20 minutes off.

When the ice was off i started practicing my snatch with a broomstick and my boyfriend yelled at me! Here's the conversation:

Him "What are you doing?"
Me "Working on my snatch"
Him "Your what?"
Me "Snatch. It's a somewhat complex olympic weight lifting exercise"
Him "You and your snatch go sit in that chair and stay there or i'm not making you dinner!"

Off I went, no more snatching for me!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #86
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I really wanted to try "Isabel" but when i got home my dog accidently gave me a black eye. He just jumped up to give me kisses and bumped my eye on his head. Sounds simple enough, but it is almost swollen shut and quite purple. So, i had to try to keep ice on it -- 20 minutes on/20 minutes off.
Hi Helen! Weird injuries seem to be making the rounds. Be careful out there!

How's Charlie's head?!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #87
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
How's Charlie's head?!
He's fine. I'll let him know you asked about him. I was really worried about him too, but he shook it off right away. The little boy is tough!

I walked 13 holes of golf today and then gave up because it was too slow. After 13 holes i was only 6 over par though. 41 on the front nine then 1 over when we finally gave up. Too bad, would have liked to finish since i was playing so well.

Todays WOD Rx:
For time 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5 rep rounds of:
virtual shoveling [wmv] [mov]
Push-ups

I didn't get the "shoveling". I tried at a new gym. I'm a real buttercup and the only bars they had were 45 lbs. So, thinking the bar would be too heavy for me I did:

15, 10, 5, 3 Reps
Olympic bar w/10 lbs at one end
1st set of Push-ups on a bench (2 ft. off ground).
Rest of push-ups on a racked bench bar (about waist height)

14 minutes -- it was definately the push-ups that did me in though. The first set of push-ups I were broken at 7-4-4. The rest of push-ups at waist heigh unbroken. The shoveling seemed easy.

Oh, and then my first day in this stupid a!# gym (with a black eye) i got yelled at! They have a "No grunting" policy. When i was done with the WOD i worked on my clean & jerk since i missed the snatch yesterday. Apparently they also have a policy of "No overhead barbells". I said "Are you serious?"
I think i'm going to try to get kicked out of this gym! It will be fun!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #88
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Hey, Helen! Just checking out your log for the first time! Great stuff! I'll be checking in on you!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #89
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post
Hey, Helen! Just checking out your log for the first time! Great stuff! I'll be checking in on you!
Hi Erin, welcome to my log! I just checked out your log and its great to see another personal trainer here expirimenting on themselves! I train pretty much similar to your style except I also include some Yoga depending on the client. I only spent a minute browsing your log, but looks like great stuff...i'll get back to it later when i have more time.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #90
Helen Lawson

Profile:

I really wanted to do Isabel or Nicole today but my back hurts really bad. I left work in the middle of the day to go see my chiropractor and he says he fixed me, but it still hurts. I know the muscles need time to heal. He said to take it easy today and maybe tomorrow too.

I miss my crossfit!