CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #211
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Re: Helen Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
...I have the SS book and am seriously considering dropping my current routine and beginning the SS program a bit early. I've wanted to raise my endurance (and the resulting strength) from doing the Main Page WODs and metcons, or some of my own concoctions.
Steve, thanks again for your kind words...for a combination of endurance and strength check out this program (Rip approved):

http://www.************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1381 (wfs)

I've taylored this program for some of my clients that need both endurance and strength to this type of weekly program: 2 SS days (1 with me/1 alone), 1 run day, 1 metcon day (like girls or hero WODs), 3 rest days making sure that 2 of the rest days are back to back.

Now, i've just got to get myself to stick to a schedule. So, here is my first attempt at deciding what my program will be for January:

Saturday - Strength - Squat & Deadlift
Sunday - Run and/or Metcon
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Strength - Squat & Press (bench or overhead)
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Olympic Coaching - Power
Friday - Rest

I don't have time in there for Yoga, maybe i'll have to try getting up 1/2 hour earlier to do Yoga in the morning. I always like to do that...makes you feel better all day long.

And, unfortunately, due to my client schedules i can't get 2 rest days together. on Mon, Wed & Friday i don't have enough time to workout myself so those have to be my rest days.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #212
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Thanks again, Helen! Great link and something to seriously consider after the first of the year. I am repeating weeks 13 - 15, since they were so broken in substance and consistency. Had a great, great, day today - - felt really strong and made good progress, despite poor nutrition and WO scheduling the past three weeks.

Looks like you have a great WO program for as busy as you are. Good luck with scheduling in the Yoga. Have a great day!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #213
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Yesterday was mainly a rest day...but...I finally got to do some handstands using the assistance bands. Mini, rest day Yoga WOD:

3 Sun Saluations
4 Down Dog @ 1 minute each
8 Assisted Handstands @ 10 seconds each
15 minutes of supported back bends
5 minutes of supported forward bends

I also realized last night that i can use the assistance bands to learn all those Yoga inversions & arm balances! These are some that i want to learn:

Pincha Mayurasana (Feathered Peacock Pose or Forearm Balance)
Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand)
Bakasana (Crane Pose)
Tittibhasana (Firefly Pose)
Mayurasana (Peacock Pose)
Parsva Bakasana (Side Crane Pose)
Bhujapidasana (Shoulder-Pressing Pose)
Eka Pada Koundiyanasana II (Pose Dedicated to the Sage Koundinya II)

I think coach Tucker from the gymnastics cert would love to see these done as party tricks. Once i can do these without assistance i'll have to use his line "Here, hold my beer while i show you something!"

I'm still excited! I love my new toys!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #214
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Yesterday i also did push-ups (3rd stair) 1,1,1,1,1

Today:

Dynamic warm-up

Squat warm-up (facing wall)
4 sets of 5 Squats @ 20lbs facing wall (balance getting better)

Bench warm-up
Bench 2 sets of 4 @ 55lbs (PR!)
Bench 1 set of 5 @ 50 lbs

Dips 1,1,1,1,1 (40 lb assist)
Pull-ups 1,1,1,1,1 (green band assist)
5 sets of 5 supine leg lifts

I wish i had energy left to do handstands... but ... i don't!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day so I'll do some yoga stuff and handstands tomorrow! Yay!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #215
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Hi Helen!

Love your handstand work!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #216
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Great job, Helen! Handstand stuff is awesome. I cannot do a handstand or headstand, so it's about time I tried. I am game for anything at least once!!

As for the party tricks for Coach Tuck, I like the cartwheel Meriah did at Jenna Rettenmayer's box for the camera......she was holding a beer when she did it........aannnndddd, it didn't spill, from what I could see!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM   #217
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Love your handstand work!
Thanks Nancy! It's soooo much fun!

Quote:
Great job, Helen! Handstand stuff is awesome. I cannot do a handstand or headstand, so it's about time I tried. I am game for anything at least once!!

As for the party tricks for Coach Tuck, I like the cartwheel Meriah did at Jenna Rettenmayer's box for the camera......she was holding a beer when she did it........aannnndddd, it didn't spill, from what I could see!
LOL!!! I think it will be a while before i can do a handstand without spilling my beer! Thats a great goal though!

As for the handstands, they are great fun...but my advice is to learn and become confident doing a forward roll first because if you get up into a handstand and lose your balance then you should be able to tuck and roll out of the handstand. The assistance bands are a great way to learn the handstand! I'm so glad i got them!

I think i better rest today however...I'm going to see my olympic coach tomorrow and i'm scared...he wants me to do snatches, cleans, ATG squats and pinky presses. What ever they are

back to work for now...
Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #218
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Don't be frightened or worried about any of it, Helen. You'll do fine! Of course, I should talk! I was really frightened for some reason when I went to CF Modesto today and did my first Fight Gone Bad. I sucked at it royally, but really had fun and enjoyed getting to meet and talk with the affiliate owner.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #219
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I think coach Tucker from the gymnastics cert would love to see these done as party tricks. Once i can do these without assistance i'll have to use his line "Here, hold my beer while i show you something!"

I'm still excited! I love my new toys!
atta gal! happy new year to ya! keep it up, one step at a time!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #220
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Happy new year everyone!

Quote:
I was really frightened for some reason when I went to CF Modesto today and did my first Fight Gone Bad. I sucked at it royally, but really had fun and enjoyed getting to meet and talk with the affiliate owner.
Hey Steve. Isn't it amazing that we enjoy to suck at something! Squats aren't fun to suck at...but...Fight gone bad...that's fun no matter how bad we suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post
atta gal! happy new year to ya! keep it up, one step at a time!
Thanks Tuck! I love all the gymnastics stuff..and i yes, that too is something i have fun with even though i suck! I'm working on trying to get rings set up too...mainly for rows & dips to start...just found good straps yesterday!

Yesterday was olympic coach day:

-- Squat Cleans w/work sets at approx. 40lbs -- shooting for ATA (ankles)
-- Power Snatch practice at approx. 30lbs - coach Keith says I've got a natural snatch. just have to get the bar back a little bit behind my head.
-- Front Squat w/work sets at approx. 40lbs -- again ATA (ankles)
-- 4 sets of: 10 incline sit-ups & 20 double-unders

Boy are my legs sore today! Still coming forward too much on the squats. Keith says don't lift your hips -- my take on that is from the bottom...extend hips first and let the knees follow. Need more practice.

I don't think i'll go ATA all the time as i think it would be tough on my knees -- if i had started younger, no big deal, but old bodies don't like to learn too many new tricks all at once. So, i'll shoot for ATA on a few warm-up sets each time i squat.