CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

SS and women

I have spent about 45 minutes looking for any SS post that involved women doing it. Can't find them. SS being two letters in itself (you need three) presents a problem when searching. Someone, I am sure will correct me and show me like a hundred threads that I should have found, but so be it, I tried. SS* netted me more posts than spelling it out but still no women.

Any women doing this - SS? I am wondering if I should get rid of ten pounds of chub that needs to come off first and then do this to add strength. In the posts that I read, the men say you get chubby on top of putting on muscle mass too but it's really easy to lose the fat later after you get strong.

Excuse me, easy to lose? Not usually the case for women. I would not mind being heavier if it was solid, but gaining back the 37 pounds I lost? - I do not want that to happen. The fact that my a** still seems to be running after I have stopped annoys me. I carry no upper body fat, just lower - thighs and butt. I am 5'4" and weigh 135.

I have a good friend who is a powerlifter. He is extremely strong and also fat. No other way you could describe it. FAT with massive muscles underneath. I will never wake myself up to eat every three hours or eat 4000+ calories a day. Except calorically maybe to give this a shot with the milk which is all I drink besides water and coffee anyway. I don't think I would look so hot as a albeit strong Michelin (wo)man. But of course, I have no desire to powerlift only to excel at Crossfit, so doubt I would ever look like that.

If any women have completed this I want to hear from you. If any of you guys have any thoughts as to what will probably happen to me, fill me in. I honestly don't think I could drink a gallon but I could realistically drink a half a gallon, which may not be unreasonable since I am smaller?

I also downloaded this da*n spell check thing and it won't work. So being dyslexic, forgive me if I have mispelled something.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: SS and women

Did you visit this new SS Wiki site:?

http://****************.wikia.com/wi...his_program.3F
w/f/s

You might also consider posting your question to Mark at his Strength Mill Site:
It's down now, or I'd provide the URL, try it later.

I've been to his Cert, always 5-8 women out of 25-30 people.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Yes read quite a bit but not sure if I got all of it on the Wiki site by the time I jump to links I forget where I was or how I got there. The site rocks by the way and I have the SS book and have read it too. And Practicle Programming but bailed on it when I realized I should go back and read SS.

Is there actually a section on the Wiki site about women that I have overlooked?

I have not practiced yet what I know to be true... Best info ever in grad school. Read what you want to learn three times, once like it is the newspaper, second time picking out things you don't get. Third time focusing on and trying (and hopefully succceeding) to understand those things you didn't get. So still need some more time to read SS again and maybe again.

If I get any good at this I would like to go to the NC barbell cert in Oct. Getting some training in Richmond next weekend. Maybe it is my form? I can do the glute ham raise no problem, doesn't that require some strength? SS states that may be difficult for clients but I am fine. Deadlifts I am OK. Squats I suck at completely. Not sure about presses as I have a partially torn biceps tendon (I know) that hampers me (I think). Ever since I started lifting it hardly hurts at all. Sucking at squats, I am assuming due to weakness but it could be form or my fat a** weighting me down hahha. I've fallen and I can't get up...

I will look at Rippetoe's site. Would I ask him a question - probably not.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Yes thanks the link went right to a little blurb on women, but that I basically knew. And I will go to the that other site too, here in just a minute.

I am not afraid I will get big if I lift I welcome it because I know it will never be BB big which I detest and I don't do that kind of isolation work. Plenty of powerlifters that are trim too check out the petitepowerlifter - amazingly strong tiny little woman.

I am just worried about regaining the weight I worked so hard and inefficiently (i.e., before Crossfit) to lose. I want to stay this weight or lose a little and lose body fat and gain muscle. I was a stick once upon a time at 105 no desire to return to that either.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

Profile:

You need to buy the book because Rippetoe answers all of your questions in it. And strength training won't make you big because size and mass are all affected by your diet and unless your eating for mass then you won't gain any. Strength training is an effective tool for fat lass but don't confuse weight with exercise, everything about that is dependent on your diet.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Derek Franks

Profile:

Kevin has it right. If you don't eat to gain weight, then you won't. Your strength gains also won't be as great as they would if you increased your caloric intake, but I'm guessing that's an acceptable trade-off for you.

Also, when you want to search for a 2 letter term try this in google:

SS women site:crossfit.com

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...om&btnG=Search
Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Thanks for the serach tip.

Yes, I have the book and read it and will again. And if he has answered my questions, I apologise but I didn't get that out of it - maybe next read.

How could drinking a gallon of milk a day as recommended not be considered a threat to gaining some fat too even if you ate perfectly the rest of the time. That is a crap load of fat and calories and everything I have read says for SS to really work: drink the milk drink the milk drink the milk. Much less of a strength gain if you do not drink the milk. OK milk is the magic catalyst I get it.

I tend to follow instructions to the letter but I do not want to end up hating milk due to ODing on it. So that's why I though maybe I could get away with half a gallon of whole milk. And it is really important it be whole milk. Everything I read says skim does not do the trick - needs to be whole. I drink skim so that alone will be a shock for me. Probably it will feel like downing a quart of cream yuk.

I read several threads with the men saying oh my six pack is gone I am getting fat but stronger too, it is worth it. I did not read one post that said, yeah I gained a ton of strength while remaining ripped.

I am OK with gaining muscle and strength, I would just rather it not be padded with fat that I will have a hard time losing.

How about men who have done it to the letter. Ate well, drank all the milk. Did you manage not to gain some padding too? Anybody do it with skim? Now that I could drink a gallon of. Get any results?

Last edited by Jill Zimmerman : 06-30-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Link within the SS-Wiki link to strength training for women rocks. Stumptuous.com (so far appears wfs) Tons of stuff on squats. Thanks so much. Quotes form Rippetoe and a ton of other stuff. Here's an exerpt:

myth #5: machines are just as effective as free weight squats.

Give this little experiment a try. Let's say you can leg press a certain amount, perhaps 200 lbs. Make sure your safety bars are set in the power cage, grab a spotter, and load up 1/4 of that amount on a squat bar. Try a full squat. I think you will find that leg press is to squats as dog poop is to Belgian truffles. Machines have their place, as I said, but a leg press isn't a squat and there's no sense pretending it is.

During my days of inefficiency, I was a machine user and got viturally no where with hours of cardio and machine work but could move much much more weight than I can squatting. I guess why I find my squatting prowess or lack thereof so humiliating. But no worries, I am reformed. No machines any more.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Zimmerman View Post
Thanks for the serach tip.

Yes, I have the book and read it and will again. And if he has answered my questions, I apologise but I didn't get that out of it - maybe next read.

How could drinking a gallon of milk a day as recommended not be considered a threat to gaining some fat too even if you ate perfectly the rest of the time. That is a crap load of fat and calories and everything I have read says for SS to really work: drink the milk drink the milk drink the milk. Much less of a strength gain if you do not drink the milk. OK milk is the magic catalyst I get it.

I tend to follow instructions to the letter but I do not want to end up hating milk due to ODing on it. So that's why I though maybe I could get away with half a gallon of whole milk. And it is really important it be whole milk. Everything I read says skim does not do the trick - needs to be whole. I drink skim so that alone will be a shock for me. Probably it will feel like downing a quart of cream yuk.

I read several threads with the men saying oh my six pack is gone I am getting fat but stronger too, it is worth it. I did not read one post that said, yeah I gained a ton of strength while remaining ripped.

I am OK with gaining muscle and strength, I would jut rather it not be padded with fat that I will have a hard time losing.

How about men who have done it to the letter. Ate well, drank all the milk. Did you manage not to gain some padding too? Anybody do it with skim? Now that I could drink a gallon of. Get any results?

You need to read the book again because no where in the book does it state that the trainee is required to drink a gallon of milk. That is for the trainee who desires to gain mass. Ripp has said this dozens of times that mlk s not a requirement in the program.

You must also note that drinking a gallon of milk per day is going to add fat. In a strength training program like SS + 1 gallon of milk, there is no way to avoid it. But this is for those that want to gain in a relatively short time.

Building mass while trying to remain lean is not that hard if you eat clean i.e. keyword "clean". But it takes a long time.
You could also look into the IF route complemented with strength training.

Last edited by Kevin Perry : 06-30-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

I did want to gain functional muscle mass and strength. I did not want to spend forever doing it. Book is in my hand I will read it again and maybe again before I say anything else.