CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Kristina McLinden

Profile:
Paleo, Zone, and the Foodie

I went from a sedentary lifestyle and started Crossfit about a month ago with Brand X scaled workouts and I've noticed great improvements all around. I figure it might be time to adjust my diet to achieve better results.

I've been looking at the two big diets: Paleo and Zone, and I'm not really sure what to do. I love cooking and trying different foods, watching top chef, reading about different ingredients etc. I'm a foodie and food is almost a hobby (doesn't that sound horrible).

Zone looks sort of complex and paleo looks great but I don't quite understand not eating legumes.

My question: Are there any foodies here who have made diet changes? Which diet did you choose and why?

Any advice would help!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Paleo, Zone, and the Foodie

If I was going to go hardcore to one or the other, I'd go paleo and skip the Zone math. Too many equations per meal.
I'm such a foodie, I read cookbooks and spend enormous amounts of time just thinking about food and planning meals. I'm not Zone OR paleo, but I do lean more towards paleo eating. With dairy.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Jeremy Butler

Profile:

I did a trial run of the zone, and ended up really liking it. I grudgingly bought a scale and went for it. You can make delicious food on the zone. Since you're a foodie it should actually be easier for you. I guess I'm a foodie too (just finished a cooking class last saturday) and really all it takes is some creativity. The reason I went with zone, was that it does allow a lot of flexibility in the ingredients. Plus with the fat intake being slightly variable for us crossfit people it makes it more decadent. Oh, I rarely measure anymore. Its not something that lasts too long if you pay attention. I will admit, i havent done the research on making soups, casseroles or other kinds of dishes with multiple ingredients, but only cause its summer and I dont need my chowder quite yet. :stir:
Old 06-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
David Schlesselman

Profile:

I've actually tried both and I think that the Zone is a great "introduction" to changing your nutrition away from unhealthy carbs and such. Once I got the hang of the meals, I slowly started reducing my intake of dairy and peanut butter, which was a *****. Figuring out the zone blocks got to be a little tiresome after a while as well, which also prompted me to try the Paleo diet. I've been doing the Paleo for a few weeks now, and I feel that it's really simple, the meals are great and I shedded off a few pounds I couldn't lose prior.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schlesselman View Post
I've actually tried both and I think that the Zone is a great "introduction" to changing your nutrition away from unhealthy carbs and such. Once I got the hang of the meals, I slowly started reducing my intake of dairy and peanut butter, which was a *****. Figuring out the zone blocks got to be a little tiresome after a while as well, which also prompted me to try the Paleo diet. I've been doing the Paleo for a few weeks now, and I feel that it's really simple, the meals are great and I shedded off a few pounds I couldn't lose prior.
David is giving good advice. Learn how to follow zone first. Weigh & measure everything until you can figure out blocks in your sleep.

I've done quite a bit of experimenting and I find eating paleo in zone ratios (eyeball method) works well. It gives me quite a bit of freedom and I don't annoy friends and family by counting almonds.

Start simple though.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
David Miller

Profile:

I actually asked this question to Dr. Mike at the Cert this past weekend in Parker, CO. I have been Paleo for awhile now and gotten pretty good results from it, but I've been toying with the idea of the Zone. Anyway, the good Doc's response was that for optimal performance and fitness, don't pick one of the diets; do the Zone with all Paleo foods. I haven't started it yet but I will be soon, at least for the recommended two weeks. Maybe you could try that method? Rock the Paleo for awhile and then phase yourself into the Zone. Just a thought.....

-David
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Paul Epstein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina McLinden View Post
I'm a foodie and food is almost a hobby (doesn't that sound horrible).
That doesnt sound bad at all. In fact it sounds great. People dont think about food enough. Thinking leads to planning which leads to organisation which avoids making last minute (bad) decisions on food when its 8:00pm and your starving.

Im also obsessed with all things food and take delight in finding, inventing, stealing and modifying recipies to to suit paleo and/or zone requirements.

I found a happy medium - mostly paleo but i love dairy too much to give it up so i just make sure its organic and grass fed (and i try and get most of the lactose digested by other organisms before i eat it). Also instead of measuring at the time i just log in fitday and try and ballance my Protein/Carb/Fat on a daily basis - the pie charts just give me feed back to how i went yesterday and i adjust todays eating to try and get closer to a better ballance.... its not zone because i do it on a daily basis instead of per meal but it has given me a pretty good 'gut feel' (pun not intended) about what ratios my meals will have over time.

have fun
Old 06-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
James Reynolds

Profile:

My gf and i watch those shows and very much enjoy cooking and creating in the kitchen. Just from this board, we've got some great info and ideas.

We both are on the zone (she cheats a lot still with the sweets - you know you do, I saw that truffle wrapper in the trash can lol), but it hasn't really been all that hard to adjust. The great thing about the zone is that it can be used no matter where you eat. It'll only take a short time to get used to the blocks and how to apply them when you're out and so on.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Paul Epstein

Profile:

i find zone (or fitday) pretty difficult when eating out (especially at some more gourmet resturants where the flavours are so unique your not sure what combintion they used to make them...) but paleo is usually much easier to follow...
Old 06-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

If your a foodie, and you really don't need to eat for performance but still wanna lose weight. Then a good diet to try is the south beach diet.

Its low glycemic index based so you get to eat a decent variety of food. Crossfit work outs will, wind up your metabolism to burn calories so you will be able to lose weight.. it will not be as fast the others.

But if your into the culture of food, and eating high cuisine paleo is not the way to go. Zone.. is possible if you stick with southern European foods.
Which by the way, the doctor that started south beach has now use the Mediterranean food pyramid to create the south beach med plan.

So you have options. Its about how you want to eat and why.